Why Are Quiet/Shy People Often Discriminated Against?

When I first got my job, I passed the interview with flying colors. They noted that I was very outgoing, communicated well and they thought I was a good fit for the company. This outgoing persona was just a facade I used during interviews just to get the job. I am usually a quiety/shy introverted person. Of course, after I got the job, I quiety did my work and only talked to people on the job if I really had to. When I got my first perfomance review, it was stated that even though I was one of the best workers they had, they would really like to see me talk more. After a year on the job... I am still quiet, but I am more open to my coworkers since I really got to know them and since I am around them often.

At my job, we are hiring for more positions, and I always ask the hiring manager what he thought about the applicants during the interview. He always tells me that they seem like great workers, but they seem very shy/quiet and that is why they didn't get the job.

What does being shy/quiet have to do with getting a job? If you are a good worker and you can actually do the job that you are applying for, it shouldn't matter if you are a shy person.

...

Most Helpful Guy

• They probably worry that they won't be aggressive enough to enforce the standard or that they won't be able to see the big picture. Basically, the supervisors might think that these applicants are "too nice" for the job.

Is it a sales job?

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• Cuz people assume they're weak and wanna take all their stuff!

• Because there is an extrovert ideal in western culture.

• Suspicion.