Your onion chopping or peeling resistance to crying/10😪😭🔪?

OMMMGGGG IM DYYYYYIIIINGGGGG. I'm seriously not okay wtf. 😂😂😂😂😂😭😭😭😭😭😭
#sonofabxtch ! 😡

Long story short: mum wanted me to make a salad for tomorrow's lunch and I just remembered it before I had to sleep. Woe is me. #notwifematerial
bahahaha i love memes <3

So the question applies for those really BAD onions. For me i'd say it's like a 3. I'm terrible.

• 1-4. Show me a photo of an onion and I will cry. 😣😫😭
  • 5-7. I'm okay... I can do this... *grabs goggles* 😐😑😎
  • 8-10. Bring me that muhfuh, imma make IT cry! 🔫😡💣
LOL y'all are such liars!😂😛

Most Helpful Guy

• Peel the onions and then place them in the freezer for about 30 minutes before slicing them. You don't want them to freeze but you want them to be near freezing. Crying is caused by some aromatic oils contained thin the onion and, at lower temperatures, the oils do not form the irritating vapors as they do at room temperature. Try it!

The other way to avoid the tears - but this is more difficult - is to fill the sink with water, place a cutting board in the bottom of the sink, and slice the onions under water.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you rub a lemon against the knife (both sides) before you cut -- and keep "refreshing" it periodically as you go -- then this problem should be eliminated.

As long as you don't mind a slightly lemony taste to yr onion dish, you are golden here.

Refrigerating the onion, and using a SUPER sharp knife, help too.

What Guys Said 41

• It really depends on the type of onion and *how many* onions you cut. I worked at a pizza place for awhile, and we chopped onions there for the toppings. Totally fucked my eyes up. At first, it wasn't so bad. But after like 10 onions, you really start to tear up. @_@ I'd have to bail out after awhile and go into the walk-in freezer and stare at the fan: the cold breeze helped my eyes stop being so irritated.

Onions will vary, some will have more enzymes that create that minor sulfuric acid gas that fucks up your eyes. So some are worse than others, I think. So, if there's a breeze, the gas might not reach your eyes, possible. I dunno. Or, if. Trying to think of why people would say their eyes don't get irritated.

I can handle 3-6 onions. But any more than that, and my eyes are going to start going crazy. But I really like the smell of freshly chopped onions. So it's a win/win/lose.

• 0.1/10

My mom was cutting onions in the kitchen half an hour ago and I am still crying in my bedroom which is two rooms away 😭

• 3|0
  • Well, for me it's even worse than for you guys because I have a visual disability which includes me not having tears. That's right: my eyes can't produce any tears. I have had this since I was born. Of course I need to take eye drops every few hours to moisten my eyes because otherwise they become dry as the sahara desert and I get this painful inflammation. Now, when I chop onions (which, for obvious reasons, I do very rarely), it's basically like torture. My eyes get irritated and want to produce tears but they can't. So instead of the onions-gases getting washed out, they keep accumulating in my eyes and it just gets worse and worse. It get this very painful burning sensation that usually only goes away after a few hours (it's maybe comparable to a strong allergy). And of course I'm not allowed to rub my eyes because otherwise the burning becomes even worse. It feels like having to pee really, really badly and your bladder hurting but when you sit down and try to pee, nothing comes out. So while I absolutely love to cook, I usually leave up the onion chopping to my girlfriend cuz I'm a definite 1 on your scale.

• Oh gosh sorry to hear that. I guess u should stay away from them then! Are u like me in that u can feel the agitation when u smell it from a distance?

• No not really... I just have to watch out that my eyes don't get too close ;-).

• Hah fair enough =]

• I'm not crying... my eyes are just sweating a lot!! 😢😢

Lol it helps if you cut them under running water.

• Vote 'C' little lioness just cause I cut off the top and bottom then immerse in cold / cool water. This ensures eyes don't smart when chopping them :D

lol I love your memes too ha ha you got one cute witty little head there <3

• In the range of "Poor" to "Quite Poor"😭

• 9/10

I temped in a kitchen as a kid, you just need a sharp knife and to chill them before cutting.

• All it takes is one chopped onion and I'm balling like a baby 😭😭😭 I'm a little wimp :( :( :( so don't feel bad :) :) :)

• I voted B... it takes half a minute or so and than... Annnnnaaaaaaa! Heeeeeeeeeelp :-(
    Would you have a handkerchief please? It's urgent :o :o

• I'm quite resistant when it comes to onions, about 9 I guess...

• Peel them under running cold water and you won't tear up. You can use a strainer when you dice or slice them.

• It is good to cry once in a while: clears the sinuses. Just don't squint or rub your eyes and that way the tears will come more naturally.

• Cutting onions really doesn't bother me. I guess I'm lucky.
    That "onion ring" meme lol! 😂
    You need to get one of these:
    thumbs.dreamstime.com/.../...gas-mask-16539444.jpg
    It's even banana yellow for you!

• I'm only a 6 out of 10, and I cook all the time! :-P

• Just stuff bread in your mouth it's weird but it works.

If I had to guess though I'd say 5-7.

• I can do one onion if I cut it quickly but anything after that its a 1

But you can use a chef's trick. See if it helps. Its the fumes of the onion being released that hurts our eyes.

1. Don't cut the end off that has a bulb where the root kinda is - which is where most of the fumes come from
    2. Put them in the freezer for a good 10-20 mins before cutting - tones down the intensity that and rate it takes for the fumes to reach your eyes

A third
    3. also you can cut them under a stove fan that sucks in air

• man i tried cutting it quickly but it didn't work!
      ill definitely keep them tricks in mind for next time, thanks.

• 9/10. Never cried because of onions. Not even frying onions. I get little burning sensation.

• I'm terrible at it x_x
    I can resist for a minute at most... after that I'm done

• If you cry from chopping onions, it just means that your knives aren't sharp enough. Nothing more.

• You don't really love an onion until you bite into a raw one with a mouthful!! (hopefully its a red onion) lol

• eeewwwwww!!!

• OH U ARE HEARTLESS!

• no... that's only heartless if you don't give them your delicious apple in return :) Then it's true love :)

• I dont even know lol but you seem to spend soo much thought and love into each question on gag so I feel obligated to comment lol!

• I can cut them faster than my eyes realize what I am doing.

• I can be outside of home and feel it. Water everywhere.

• said the onion, you kill me and then you will cry

• At last we agree on something! i love cooking, especially curry, but onions! Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. My resistance is a fat 0/10!!

• I kinda prefer garlic and leek

• I wear swimming goggles alllll the bloody time when I'm chopping up the onions. Lol, that's just impossible. I thought I'd develop some kind of resistance to it after working as a chef for years.. hell no. The sulphur in onion is designed to fuck your eyes up. :D

• ahahaha what i would give to see that. well coming from a chef, I'm not feeling so bad 😂

• Peel
    Cit in half
    Put in warm water for 5 min
    Wallllaaaaa. No more tears

• I eat raw chopped onions for taste sometimes..
    Does not mean they don't bring me a few tears.. But the taste so great and juicy when raw..

• yeah a lot of people eat them raw. I do that in salads though not by itself! :P

• You know you can make it simple by placing a piece of bread in your mouth while chopping...

www.m4040.com/Survival/KIT%20PICS/Blue-900.jpg
      And have a look at this knife.. It has 2 blades one is Sharp and other is zig-zag... Don't use the smooth Sharp blade it cuts by pressing and releases more fumes in air making you cry more and more...
      But if you use zig-zag blade like saw! Slowly move it forward and back it will release less fumes in air..
      This fumes make you cry..
      So simply change your location after chopping every onion... Like jump 5 feels away.. To a new position and don't return to the last position for 5 min or use a fan on you face to keep fresh air coming..
      And don't cry... thanks for unblocking me.. I have learned my lesson! Not to be stupid or mess with you! And I love your opinions..

• More from Guys
    11

What Girls Said 19

• I am usually B but about a month and a bit ago my Nan was cutting an onion while i sat at the table doing stuff on my laptop, i didn't even know what she was doing when my eyes started watering because the fumes had spread so far.

So here i am, crying with an onion about a metre away, and there's my Nan just chopping away like a boss.

Juiciest onion on the fricken planet and she has no reaction.

• lol I'm the same! i swear them older generations were just better at everything in life.

• Your last poll option. xD I'd say I'm at a 5-7, though. I'm not too bad, but there are times where it makes me tear up.

• I haven't chopped an onion in so long. The last time I did, I accidentally rubbed my eye trying to rub the tears away and for onion juice in my eyes. Nor a fun time. I wanted to rip my eyeball out.

• I've never cut an onion, so I don't know

#defnotwifematerial #dontmarryme #youllregretit XD

• I usually wear a dirt biking helmet when peeling and cutting onions or I stick my head in the freezer

• I don't cry when I chop onions thank the lawd

• Onions are bastards... make me cry more than my ex ever did!

• I never cry when I cut up unions.

• I haaaaaate it omg

• 0 I suck

• Onion cries when it sees me :P

recoveringfatgirl.com/.../crying-onion1.jpg

• It depends on the onion. Some are worse then others.

• The key is to have very sharp knives. If your knives aren't sharp enough, they'll just bruise the onion which releases the juice aka syn-propanethial-S-oxide which is an irritant.

• 0/10; can't stand even in the kitchen where someone is cutting them!

• Hahahahhaha those memes 😂😂😂

3, and u say thats bad? I think I'm a 1'5 😜😂😂 I HATE onions, they are so cruel to me 😭😭😂

• Yes im a 2/3 , my eyes are sensitive.

• I don't know I have heard if u put it in cold water it doesn't sting as much..

• If onions make you "cry" is because they are still "green", and haven't matured yet.

• Bring me that little mofo 🔪🔫🗡⚔⚒🔨🛠⛏☠☠💣💣🗡