Which military branch should I join?

I want to be a commissioned officer, not an enlisted officer, and I'm taking the ROTC scholarship. However, I'm not sure which military ROTC/military choice I should go into. I'm definitely not joining the marines, but I'm debating between the navy, Air Force and army.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I was going to suggest the Marine Corps because I was in the Marines myself and naturally I'm very prideful of the Corps. First I want to commend you for not only choosing to serving your country but also taking the path of becoming a commissioned officer.

I think different branches of service have different things to offer. The Navy would be my second choice.. you will be working close with Marines and the Navy is very respectable in their chain of command. They operate like a military should operate. All our navy corpsman were great and we all considered them to be Marines.

Airforce you are getting on a more technical side and will feel like a civilian wearing military uniform most of the time. If is very relaxed and you will be using more brain power than traditional military discipline.

I'm not a huge fan of the Army. No disrespect to any soldiers out there but from what I've observed a lot of them are very unprofessional and undisciplined. Their ASVAB requirements I think are 28 which is very low. Army in comparison to the other branches are the most lenient on granting waivers and that is for a reason. The army prides itself on their numbers rather than their soldiers. Conventional infantry doesn't seem to even know how to handle a bunch of desert rats in the middle east.

The Marine Corps is the best most elite force in the military as far as conventional excluded special forces. It is a rough branch to be in and it's certainly not for everyone. It's harsh, tough, and a lot of Marines hate their lives during their whole enlistment. That being said it's a love hate relationship. Sometimes I wish I could go back in. The Marines know how to fight and have proven to do so throughout country's history. They are disciplined and aggressive. Marine Corps in my opinion is the epitome of what the military should be like. It will change you and will force you to grow up a lot faster than your peers. It's a life lesson that will be remembered forever and you will carry that pride for the rest of your life. The habits you learn in the Marine Corps will stick with you forever. The way you walk.. the way you stand.. your work ethic.. your drive. Everything about you will change. You will be forced to become the best version of yourself whether you think you have it in you or not.

Goodluck.. I hope you make the right choice.

What Guys Said 5

• It depends on what you types of occupational careers you would like. My son-in-law is a USN E4 in aircraft maintenance (he's an AZ and maintains the repair and maintenance manual library for the F-18s at his NAS) and he loves it. He intends to make it a career. My brother did maintenance work on cargo aircraft for the USAF. He didn't care for it that much. I have another brother who was a tank mechanic for USA. He didn't like it, either. So I have family connections to every branch except USMC and USCG. I know you want to be an officer, but you really need to figure out what you want to do before you can know where you will want to do it.

• Air Force = Chair Force.
    Navy or Army? Im not sure. My brother is in the Naval ROTC and he seems to enjoy it.

• air force is the easiest, army is the biggest and navy is the hardest out of the 3

• Air Force.
    They have the smartest personell on average

• Army, the largest of the branches with the most opportunities. In the navy you could sit on a boat for 2 months crossing the sea to get to your destination but in the Army you can go live in a village in Afghanistan or Iraq for a month, then go spend time in Turkey and fly back to the US all in the same amount of time... planes are a wonderfully efficient mode of transportation, and what gives the army an edge over the air force is that the Army guys are actually tough, the air force are just whimps and tech nerds... of course I jest, I support all the branches although I might be a little biased because I was on my way to West Point (before I got a medical DQ) so the army is always in my heart, but my grandfather is ex-navy so I suppose the navy would be the second best.

• In the Navy we could go around the world a few times in 3 months. You were probably having a problem because you were in a boat and we sail on ships.

• @Red_Arrow Hahahahaha this answer made me laugh, that could be my problem. I was taking a rowboat across the atlantic. Of course in the army you dont have to spend all that time on a cramped ship, you get to stay on land exploring the various cultures and regions of the world. You fly to your destination (usually) and then you are there. As the viking river cruise ads say "Spend less time getting there, and more time being there". Army Strong.

What Girls Said 0