I feel dead inside? I feel so stupid and useless?

I'm a 17 year old boy, Junior in High School, and have been feeling depressed for a couple years now. Mostly because I feel like a dumbass and someone without a future. I'd say I have really bad grades, like Bs and Cs and a couple Ds in the past. I just feel so stupid and that I don't know anything except how to play guitar, and I guess piano. I feel like that's all I'm good at.

I've pretty much given up and now when I see a math problem I drop into a crisis which usually lasts the rest of the day. I have no will to succeed. I know I could understand everything in my math class (The class that's really made this whole depression worse) but I just give up and never even try anymore. Even the classes I enjoy I get a low grade in. I love History and I get Cs in AP US History (I guess it's AP, but still).

The only reason I cry is from the thought of leaving home, putting myself to rest (You know what I mean), and my parents being worried about me. I'm really worried what I will become.

I've made progress on what career I'd like to do, maybe Architecture, but every time I think of school I just give up on that too at that moment. Please help me.

Most Helpful Girl

• You're depressed. You need to talk to your parents.

Most Helpful Guy

• Dude I graduated high school with a gpa BARELY over 2.0. and I wasn't in any AP classes. I got my crap together and went to college where I'm making the deans list now. You are not dumb. Just do your best nothing more.

Share your feelings with your parents they should be able to support you.

Maybe take a year off after high school and get a job and just take school pressure off and give yourself some time to truly think about what you want to study. That way you can start university refreshed and know what you're working towards.

• But what about like placement tests in community college, how did you do it?

• I just did the SAT. I scored slightly above the national average.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 4

• Just get up and do something. Whilst depression is shit lots of people go through it and the worst thing you can do it just sit around and let it consume your life. Highschool isn't the end of your life, plenty of people are really successful even without it, I have a friend who dropped out in year 10 and is making $90 000 a year as an electrician whilst I'm still slaving away in university and racking up a massive debt. Just go out on weekends and try different things until you find something that makes you click then pursue that. School isn't for everyone so don't let it get you down.

• I had very similar feelings my senior year of high school. What I know now is that you don't have to have it all figured out right now. All you need to do is to Set a goal for yourself. Take one action towards that goal. Whether it's the best action it does not matter, because you are still moving forward. Then reassess.

If being an architect is your decision, then put aside your instruments except on the weekends for right now. Get a math tutor and spend your time with that person getting better at math. Just making a decision will bring you a ton of peace. Just make a decision. After that, take an action and you'll feel more positive over time because you are going somewhere.

A year or two from now you may find out you don't give a damn about being an architect. Maybe you find out all about it and what the job is like and decide it's not for you. That's exactly what you want. Knowing what you don't want is part of leading you towards what you do want.

• To help with feeling down on yourself. You might try doing yardwork. Accomplishing something, even small like mowing the lawn can improve your mood.

• Are there people or family you can reach out to and ask for support?

• Cheer up mate you take life too seriously