Is it ok to cry if you have a bad dream?

I had a nightmare last night and i woke up really distressed and started crying uncontrollably. My boyfriend woke up and comforted me and told me that it was alright but i felt really embarrassed as an adult crying over something that wasn't real. Is it ok to cry over a bad dream?

Most Helpful Guy

• After all, dreams feel real when we're in them. It's only after we wake up that we realize something was strange. :)

So yes, it's understandable to be distressed by a dream.

• @Asker Hey thank you for the Most Helpful Opinion star! Hope you have had sweeter dreams since your nightmare. ^_^

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe just a dream but your emotions and feelings were real so no it's not a silly and you shouldn't feel embarrassed at all, it was real enough to make you cry.

What Guys Said 2

• Yeah, it's not a big deal. We all cry over stuff, real or not. I occasionally wake up crying, when I dream about my dead father. :(

• Well, although it would be a little strange but nothing wrong as such, its fine to cry.

What Girls Said 2

• You are allowed to have emotions. It's normal! Don't feel bad. Of course it's OK :)

• Perfectly fine.