It's 1860, the American Civil War has broken out. Where would your loyalties lie?

Personally it would be hard for. me to choose. I live in the south and love it, but it would suck knowing the country is. being torn apart by difference in opinions especially when they involve people just for being different. So I would remain neutral even though living in the South I probably would have had to fought for the south.

• North
  • South
  • Neutral / cannot pick a side

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Pre-war, the Northern controlled Congress passed tariffs which hindered the South's ability to sell cotton in foreign markets. Although only 18.5% of US citizens lived in the South, they were saddled with paying more than 50% of all tariffs collected in the US. And an additional tariff was enacted 2 days before Lincoln's first inauguration. Why? Because the South was forced to sell cotton to Northern manufacturers at cheap prices and Northern industrialists then made substantial profits on the fabric they made. The North profited from the institution of slavery!

2. On March 4, 1861, in President Lincoln’s first inaugural address, he said, “I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so.”

3. The war started on April 12, 1861 (not 1860.)

4. In 1861, Major Gen. John C. Fremont placed the state of Missouri under martial law and decreed that all slaves would be declared free. The proclamation caused political trouble for Lincoln and he ordered Fremont to rescind the edict on September 11, 1861. Lincoln sent an order on October 22, 1861, removing Fremont from his command. If the war was about ending slavery, why would Lincoln force Fremont to rescind the proclamation? And why did he later remove Fremont from command?

5. Lincoln did not sign the Emancipation Proclamation until 1863. Why? The Emancipation did not free all slaves in the US. It did not free all slaves in the Southern states. Tennessee is excluded because it was already under Union control and Lincoln did not want to incite the residents to rise up against the occupying Union troops. Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, and Missouri - all border states which allowed slavery - are excluded. Also excluded are parts of Louisiana and Virginia which were also under Union control.

6. The masses in both Britain and France had sympathized with the North chiefly because they hated slavery. But, Confederate apologists in England and France argued that Lincoln, according to his own declaration, was fighting not for freedom of black people but for power - not to end an abominable social evil, but to secure the dominance of the North. England and France had been moving towards political recognition of the Confederacy and forcing the North, through political pressures, to cease hostilities. However, the turn of popular sentiment against the South led to the abandonment of those plans.

• The southern democrats controlled Congress 20 of the 32 years between the election of Jackson and the election of Lincoln, including 8 of the 12 years immediately preceding the war. They controlled one half of Congress, mostly the Senate, for 10 of the other 12 years.

They also held the Presidency for 24 of those 32 years, including 8 of the 12 before the war. The other 4 were under Zachary Taylor and Millard Fillmore, two of the weakest Presidents in history, and the south held both houses of Congress during both Presidencies. The ONLY time in those 32 years that the south was a minority in the government and did not control at least one house of Congress and/or the Presidency was 1841 to 1843 when the Whigs controlled Congress and William Harrison was president.

Tariffs dropped heavily in that time as well... from almost 90% to just over 20%. The tariff enacted before Lincoln's inauguration raised it to about 35%, still barely a third of what it had been before.

What Girls Said 5

• My great, great, great, great grandfather fought in the civil war but was during the battle of Gettysburg and he is buried there. So I am siding with him.

• *Killed during the battle of Gettysburg

• No he is buried at the Gettysburg cemetery but my mom said I have another relative buried at Arlington but I don't know who exactly

• I probably saw his grave then when I went there like 2007. It's odd to think the Union Capital (Washington DC) and the Confederate Capital (Richmond,. Virginia) are only 100 miles from each other.

• I would probably side with the south. I'm a southerner all the way🤓

• Well, I'd be a slave, so...

• Safe to say North then?

• @Waffles731 I'm half black, so, my father could be my owner or his brother or whoever he got me from-that being said, they could all rot in hell... and I could put them there as a vengeful freed woman.
      s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/.../o.jpg

• BURN THEIR HOME DOWN WITH THEM INSIDE
      GUN THEM DOWN IN THE STREETS
      LET THEIR BLOOD FLOW LIKE RIVERS
      And I might be a little ax-crazy here

• Eh. That's a hard question- Probably Union

• The north.
    Not really sure how all that worked, but I'd be a slave in the south if not.

• It depends on the state and the region. Eastern Tennessee and West North Carolina were actually historically more Pro Union than confederate. In fact East Tennessee almost became it's own state like West Virginia. Which also broke up for the same reason

What Guys Said 15

• The Union is the side I would have fought on though I have relatives who fought for both the Union and the Confederacy so it's true what they said brother against brother family against family.

I would have fought for the Union because they were trying to abolish slavery one of the many reason why the civil war was started and I don't support slavery so my interests would have been aligned with theirs also the Union was better equipped, better trained and better supplied then the confederacy was.

• The Confederacy, because of involuntary drafting. I would have fled to the mountains around my home before choosing to fight for either faction.

The sad fact is, neither side was moral, and the whole war was an exercise in tragic stupidity. I'm aware of how terrible Southern race-based slavery was. I can freely admit it and have no desire to defend the institution. What bothers me is when Northern apologists flaunt their faux morality whilst conveniently ignoring the little fact that they had their own rapidly growing brand of slavery in the factories of industrialist tycoons, one that didn't recognize race. Also, after the freed Negroes started migrating northward, did the anti-slavery Union populace welcome them with open arms? Nope; the Midwest and New England folks pushed them into ghettos, because "Those niggers are coming up here to steal our jobs!"

Also, for all the moral talk that abolitionists spewed during the Antebellum and Civil War, they were oddly silent when the same Union government that had razed the South turned Westward to resume massacring Native American "savages" and kicking them off their land. Sherman the Butcher was conveniently involved in these atrocities, all with the blessing of Ulysses S. Grant's presidency. And, unsurprisingly, abolitionists weren't too keen on giving back any of their land that was stolen from the Red Man in centuries prior.

Yankees were two-faced in their morality, just like many still are today. But, then again, what's new?

• I'd gladly slice open the gullet of any stinking Sussesh mongoloid and feed his entrails to the vile whore that birthed him, while he begged for quarter never to be given!! Death to all Confederate dogs of war!!!

• I'm a Yankee there!

• The Confederate States of America. I have no love for slavery, but it's most certainly wrong to invade a sovereign nation unprovoked.

• Well thats what your fighting for.

• Two things,
      A. Your whole that whole peaceful secession isn't a good answer considering that West Virginia was formed when it seceded from the confederacy and the state of virginia to the U. S
      However when it happened, the confederacy didn't let it go peacefully
      B. The reason the south seceded was because lincoln was elected and a member of a party founded as an anti-slavery party,
      They seceded for slavery

• "but it's most certainly wrong to invade a sovereign nation unprovoked."
      Even if secession was legal the fact is they did just that when they seceded as the confederacy laid claim to the territories of New mexico and arizona

• The South, My loyalty is never wavers.

• The Civil War wasn't over slavery--even the Emancipation Proclamation only affected slaves that Washington DC really couldn't touch.

The Civil War--which wasn't a Civil War, as it was an attempt to break free, not to seize control of the government--was about Lincoln refusing to let territory and subjects leave his dominion. That's what it was about.

• So pretty much about imperialism

• Yup. People like to forget that Lincoln himself said that there were huge differences between blacks and whites, and the races should be separated for their own well beings.

• Apologists for the Confederacy are rotten, ignorant people. The south started the war to preserve slavery. I'd be on the Union side.

• I live in Missouri, so we would be a split state. Bushwackers and the other team, I forgot what they were called. Basically we'd be a constant battleground *shudders*

And u would probably be forced onto the Confederate team because Geography

• I noticed most of the battles were actually fought in Virginia, Tennessee, and the northern most states more so than the South

• Actually, (yeah that's true) there were four middle states. Maryland, Virginia, Missouri and some other one I don't know. In all four of these states, they remained with the Union but slavery was legal.

In Missouri, the ideologies of slavery and southern tradition, state pride vs. national pride, tore our state apart. Neighbor killing neighbor, brother against brother, it was probably one of the most brutal parts. We didn't have many official battles, that's why it's not recorded as much. It was more guerrilla warfare

• it's almost 130 years until I'm born. I can't pick a side here, maybe that'll affect my being born or not :o

• The Union for obvious reason if the opportunity presented itself. Ain't falling for the okie doke by massa. A lot of the wars took place in my home state and my city was the former capital of the Confederacy.

• The last capital was Danville wasn't it

• Nashville would have been a better choice. Or. Charleston South Carolina

• Yeah either one of those cities.

• Fuck the Confederacy

• I've got ancestors on both sides but my loyalties lie with the union

• I can understand your feelings and sadly yes many families were torn apart by the war

• I would shoot anyone who sided with the confederacy in a heartbeat.
      With my Six-Gun and Sword any boys in grey will fall before me till my last breath

• Actually April 1861 but that's not important for the question.

• North

• I mean it would suck to see the country torn. But I would most likely join the Union.