Should the RNC be forced to lift the ban on firearms at their convention in July?

• I am against gun control, the RNC should lift the ban
  • I am against gun control, the RNC should not lift the ban
  • I am for gun control, but the RNC should lift the ban
  • I am for gun control, and the RNC should not lift the ban
Why are the Republicans so loud to force universities, and other entities, to abolish their gun-free zones, but nary a peep about the gun rights in their own venues? We are aware the secret service is armed, but if the Republicans are in favor of armed professionals handling security, why do they force universities to lift gun-free zones, instead of advocating for more armed guards?
So according to some answers here, only expensive equipment and federal agents can be effective security, so anywhere else, private citizens must pack heat to save money.

Most Helpful Girl

• They definitely should allow open carry! And with all those totally sane and responsible gun owners around I'm more than sure they'd be totally safe right? Because that's what they want us to believe... So if it's true why can't they just do it?

• Because the RNC doesn't have a say in the matter, the Secret Service calls those shots.

• Open carry, charged, cocked and locked
      and
      let the booze flow
      because we're safe now.
      http://i32.tinypic.com/14mf794.jpg

Most Helpful Guy

• Pretty hypocritical of them not to allow it.

What Girls Said 3

• No, because I can just see some nut job going crazy at one for the express purpose of blaming guns, Trump and all conservatives for the incident. And I am pro gun.

• What is RNC? Here that's the police force. I am very confused.

• Oh for fucks sake.

Bait much?

• Empirical much?

• Well, I say that your comment does, subjectively speaking, of course.

• I could see that too. Can't argue that.

What Guys Said 20

• They have the right to adopt any policy they choose without being forced to do anything they do not choose. It is their convention. But if they believe that guns should be allowed in schools they are hypocrites to say that they need to be banned at the convention. The message is that "we don't support gun rights when it's our safety that's put on the line".

• Dude, the Secret Service isn't allowing guns at the convention, the RNC can't do anything about it.

• @WalterRadio Many schools now do that kind of screening. And I would argue that children are not safer when they pack guns. The children around them are definitely not safer.

• I have never seen a school that does screening for weapons. Certainly not the elementary school a thousand feet from my house or any university I have ever set foot upon.

Please name one case where a lawfully carried firearm at a school killed someone unlawfully.

How many examples would you like of people who unlawfully carried a gun into a school and killed people?

The number of people killed in an active shooter event is due to the time between first shot and the arrival of armed resistance. Shorten that time, and lives will be saved.

Where and when I went to high school, many students had guns in their cars and trucks. With permission from their teacher, they would bring them into the school itself (the shop kids would make modifications). They would of course be asked while walking down the hall at every turn, "Is it unloaded" "Yes, sir" "OK".

• The RNC doesn't have a say in the matter, that's the Secret Service.

That petition was started by a rabid anti-gun activist and Hillary Clinton supporter, it was meant to make a point but like all anti-gun activists, he isn't smart enough to understand the situation.

There is another petition going around to not allow security to be armed at the Democrat convention in Philadelphia, same idea, it's just meant to make a point but again, it's the Secret Service making those decisions, not the DNC.

On a side note, if I was dumb enough to believe either of these petitions had a good chance of happening I'd sign both of them and expect the Republican convention to be completely uneventful and there to be violence at the Democrat convention.

• So the gun advocates, advocates of banning gun-free zones, suddenly shut up and sit down, and know their role, when it's the secret service? Why don't they do that when schools tell them they don't want to allow guns?

• No, I am not talking about principle. I am asking what your grading criteria is.

Do more guns = more safety, or do more guns = less safety. You can't have it both ways.

• I have laid out my criteria, please re-read my last couple comments.

• They definitely should lift the ban. Republicans are just slime and have lost all touch with the people. They defy any kind of reason and some are just freaking nuts. Maybe they will thin the heard out if they let people carry.

• By that logic the Democrats should ban security from carrying firearms at their convention too, guns make everybody less safe right?

• @Fugue Again with the condescension. If they are not advocating for a complete gun ban when they support bringing Australia's gun ban to America, then what are they saying. What "nuance" have you been enlightened to?

• Actually you are the one who is simple minded, Australia banned the vast majority of guns in their country and only allow civilians to own what few guns remain under the most restrictive circumstances. AND if you own a gun in Australia, you can have your house searched at any time and for any reason by the police.

The UK went even further, no handguns at all are legal there, it's so bad their pistol shooting teams have to travel to other countries to practice.

A ban is a ban, defacto or not.

• First, the petition was a clever trolling of the RNC and its gun control stance. It was never meant to be taken seriously.

www.newsweek.com/gop-convention-open-carry-petition-441808

Second, the RNC has no say in the matter, because its the venue's rules.

And third, the US Secret Service won't permit it under any circumstances because they do not allow guns near any of their protectees.

by the way, I am a gun owner, so it's not like my comments are coming from a position of bias here. But guns at the convention would be begging for a disaster.

• Excellent statement of the facts.

• Re-read the replies. I don't have a problem with the ZONES as long as there is adequate security in place. I really don't give a shit what the advocates think, as I am capable of making up my own mind about issues. There is no "one size fits all" solution to this issue.

• Ok, so you don't care what advocates think, you refuse to have an opinion about their hypocrisy. Fair enough.

• Fuckin hypocrites.

• I agree. In Idaho (i live in Idaho) and Utah maybe other states you can carry on college campus (which I support) why can't they let people carry there? Shit like this is why I'm in the libertarian party now.

• See above.

• @gotc147 There's nothing there.

• Absolutely not only one word springs to mind FATALITIES whether it is a nutjob, a misunderstanding , an argument that got out of hand, an idiot to shout there is a suicide bomber. Guns should only be allowed out in public with the strictest of controls and tightest supervision. I would be in favour of banning them all together but as a long supporter of the middle ground on this site, I have to compromise somewhat to the beliefs of gun owners.

• Who knows maybe someone will kill trump and cruz
      That'd be nice

• @jacquesvol I am from the Republic Of Ireland - Argument was getting crazy so I was staying out of it.

• hahahaha the rnc is sooooo hypocritical they want to pass laws to allow everyone to carry guns into public places but not at their own convention?

• Update : do they force universities to lift gun-free zones, instead of advocating for more armed guards? Really?

• The convention requires people to enter through security checkpoints that include a background check, x-ray machines, metal detectors, and armed federal agents.

Universities have no such protections, meaning the so-called "gun free zones" do not exist.

You should note that many NRA types advocate having arming staff at every school.

• You seem to have a worship of federal agents, but they are only human. Simple security is not ineffective simply because the guards are not logistically trained. That shell game has no evidence.

So, it's less expensive to let everyone pack than to install security checkpoints and metal detectors. How much does a mass shooting cost?

• Given what Commiecrat goons (like the Sanders-nistas who show up and Trump or Cruz rallies) might try to do to disrupt the Convention, I do hope all the GOP delegates are well armed...

• Well, you can hope all day, but they aren't. That's the point.

• Only if democrats abstain from having armed security guards. That's about the same logic being applied here. For years you are not allowed to bring weapons into bars, court houses, police stations, schools, and political conventions. There can be high levels of incitement and emotion in all of these places. I believe in the 2nd amendment and being able to defend yourself, but I understand the security concerns of large gatherings.

• You are missing the point. Many of these republicans want to force gun-free zone entities to allow guns on their premises. But when it's their entities, they are too keen to do a 180 and ban guns.

• @jacquesvol Individual's selling firearms. That's not directly the NRA or major vendors doing so. Granted it is a loophole, and you also have black market sales and gun smuggling across the Mexican border. Black market sales occur in every trade, you don't however punish law abiding citizens because of those who break the law.

en.wikipedia.org/.../List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

The rate of deaths is 10.54 deaths per 100,000 people in this country by firearms. That includes suicides, accidental deaths, homicides, and justified homicides. By comparison, Cancer related deaths is 166.4 per 100,000, Heart disease is 210.8 per 100,000 (male), and 131.8 (100,000) female. My point is that you are over exaggerating the problems, and most gun violence in this country is drug trade related. Marijuana legalization would be a step in the right direction, it would eliminate a major cash crop for organized crime, leading to a significant reduction in funds.

• in their funds*

• I think whoever started the petition really wanted to shoot Donald Trump.
    No having firearms at any large gathering (unless it's a gathering of gun lovers) is very dangerous and should not be permitted.

• Plus Canada is pretty much a gun free zone

• The guy who started the petition is an anti-gun activist.

The RNC doesn't make those decisions, the Secret Service does.

• I am wholly opposed to gun-control but I do not support open-carry, the reason being that it seems to be a form of intimidation and can raise tensions depending upon how it is interpreted. I do support concealed-carry though.

• I am strongly against the usage of guns, BUT I do not live in America, so I can't answer this question; that said, I heard that is one of the countries with the highest amount of gun owners, so I can imagine that the black market of weaponry is also incredibly "functional". Rules won't change a nation mentality. Did prohibitionism lower down consume of alcohol? No.

• The cost of freedom is our safety and security.

So gun owners need to STFU and if they want their guns back, they need to put the work in!

• ever grown American should be allowed too have gun without that license crap
    how much less crap would happen, if ever women and man had a gun to defend themselves trust me based on statistics less crime happens when everyone has a gun or weapon

• Yeah, like in the wild west, it was very safe. Even in the old west they confiscated guns at certain events.

• do some research on gun control and what happens ever time, the law passes that guns are not allowed, its why I say every grown person should own a gun

• I think it should happen just for the LOLZ.

• Sure, let them take each other out.

• Simply because shooter can blend in with the crowd easier.

• they should lift the ban so hopefully those lunatics will all kill each other.

• Except lifting the ban would reduce the chance of violence, you'd have to be suicidal to try and attack a convention hall filled with tens of thousands of armed patrons.

You'd be a lot smarter to attack the Democrat convention, where the security should be disarmed for everybody's safety.

• They wouldn't hurt either.

• They wouldn't hurt, they wouldn't help. Same goes for tanks and missile launchers. Just have them there.