Dogs outdoors vs indoors?

Do you think a puppy should be kept in in house or outside? We can't leave him loose in the house he has to be in his crate. But he is locked up for 8+ consecutive hours. And i feel so bad cause he cries and cries when we leave for work. But my boyfriend says he refuses to have an outdoors dog saying it's not fair to the dog. But i feel like having him locked up is worse. At least outside he can run around he's a husky and i know they need a lot of exercise.
I always had outdoor dogs as a kid and his family does crate kept dogs and you can tell his mom's dog has anxiety problems.
I'm completely against leaving him in the crate but my boyfriend won't listen to me. It really upsets me to see the puppy crying when we leave i know he hates the crate

Well we got into a heated debate about the issue and his mom just happened to show up at the same time. And they both ganged up on me on the issue. Apparently she leaves her very large dog in a crate for 12 hours every single day.
I am so depressed and stressed out on this situation. I know it's cruel , but he will not agree with me at all :(

Most Helpful Guy

• To be honest with you, it really pisses me off to hear how Americans keep their dogs. BOTH having it inside AND having it outside in the backyard is extremely unfair to the dog. It goes against any natural need of a dog - ESPECIALLY a husky. Dogs are supposed to be WALKED, which is what we do here in western Europe. Every dog should be walked AT LEAST TWO TO THREE TIMES a day. Huskies in particular need A LOT of exercise, they should be walked at least 15 miles every day. That is why nobody should buy a dog if they can't actually take care of. Dogs are not toys. Unfortunately lots of people in America (which I assume you are from) mistake dogs for toys. Dogs are like children. You can't just leave your 3-year old toddler 8 hours alone. It doesn't matter if you keep him in the living room or in the backyard, toddlers can't be left alone for 8 hours. THE SAME goes for dogs. If you want to have a pet that you can leave alone for such a long time, get yourself a cat or maybe a fish tank. Don't have a dog if you just leave hm alone half of the day, they really become very unhappy and the lack of exercise is like torture for them. And NO the backyard is not enough because the dog won't just run around on his own. He needs a person that goes for decent walks with him!

Most Helpful Girl

• My dogs have always been outside dogs. We had 10 of them at once inside the house but we still would never have kept them up outside. They had crates but would rarely be inside them except for at night when they went into them themselves :P But you're right, it's really unhealthy for a dog to be locked up for that long during the day, especially a puppy. I think that if you need to leave him locked up for that long, you probably didn't have a suitable lifestyle for a puppy anyway. Is there no way you could lock him up in a room on his own where he wouldn't hurt himself or anything else?

What Guys Said 5

• I agree that crate keeping is far worse for the dog. Huskies do need room to run and exercise. Keeping him in a crate does a lot of negative things to him. It will create anxieties and make him less sociable. Try looking this up on line and see if you can find some info to sway your BF's way of thinking.

• I would never feel okay locking an animal up. I think we don't have the right to trap and control another species.

• Lol, that's like sending someone to prison, why is it not fair to have the dog outside? Does he realise dogs were outdoor creatures?

• for me dogs in side they are part of the family. as the dog get older you will be able to leave them out all the time if you train them not to chew on things.

• Dogs should be kept outside and have a kennel for shade.

What Girls Said 4

• Agh, locking a dog up for that long, especially a puppy, isn't good. Is there a room you can allow him to roam in at the very least?

• Why the fuck would you keep a dog, especially a husky in a crate? Thats cruel and you need to boot your boyfriend in the arse.

Its wrong and horrible, stick him in the crate and see how he likes it, just get the poor dog out!

• Can you not leave him in a hallway or kitchen?

• I have a laundry room in my parents house that's really big. when I was younger we kept my dog inside the laundry room with the door closed. that way she could run around (or at least not be cooped up so much) without being outside. is there anyplace in your house where you could do that?