How far in advance should you book a ticket for an international flight to get the lowest price?

How early should I buy a ticket to fly to another country in order to get the best deal? Does it depend on the country or site/airline I buy it from? Are there certain months where all tickets are less expensive? I've never traveled outside my home country and have only been on a plane twice when I was a little kid so I don't know how it all works.

Most Helpful Guy

• Buy as much as possible ahead of time. Ideally a few months ahead, but try to do it at least a month ahead.

Yes, there is a season. It's pretty much what you'd expect. People travel more in the summer months, so that's when the prices go up. Which months those are will depend on the country. If you want to go to Europe for example it will be the same months as the US summer. If you want warm weather and cheaper prices, travel just before or after summer, like April-May or Sept-Oct. You'll have to check which dates are cheapest. Also consider things like holidays and special events which can affect prices.

Check nearby cities, or even nearby countries. It might be much cheaper to fly to a city 100-1000km away and take a train, bus, car or domestic flight to get to where you are going.

Check travel sites here in the US, and also domestic or regional sites where you are going. I'll dig through my archive bookmarks and see if I can find some sites.

Most Helpful Girl

• Usually a couple months to a year.

What Guys Said 3

• at least like a couple months...5-6 months ideally. and thats for literally any trip... unless you are swimming in money then hell yea... any time lol...
    back in the day... my round trip to Africa and back was $2500... and that was like a month ahead

• Where I live, at least three months.

• 6 months, you save half the money.

What Girls Said 1

• I'm actually trying to so the same thing. Most sites promise to offer credit if the prices lowers, however, so I'll prob be going with that