How long should you wait to take your kids out to a restaurant?

I have worked in restaurants through HS and college and I was awlays annoyed to see kids under the age of 5 at the restaurant. They would ruin the floor and table. Nkw I'm a parent of a 2 year old and I'm scared to go out with my wife and daughter cause I know it will be the same for the waiter when he sees my daughter.

Most Helpful Girl

• There's no age limit for children going out with their parents. Yes, children are messy, but that doesn't mean a family can't enjoy a nice night out together.

• Yeah but she in the stage where more food is on the floor than her mouth and cries when going I to her highchair so I feel embarrassed.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it depends a bit on the type of restaurant but as a general rule of thumb, I think 5 is a good age where you can start taking them out. I don't have kids yet but I don't think I'd take my 2-year old out to a restaurant. I'd rather have a babysitter and go to the restaurant just with my girlfriend.

• Yeah im a rare case I got married right after college and we tried for kids when I turned 23. My daughter still throws food and screams so I don't want to be the guy that can't control his kid.

• I totally understand where you're coming from... so yes, eating out with a toddler is probably not the best idea. But like I said, I think it also depends a bit on the type of restaurant. For example I certainly wouldn't take my 2- or 3-year old kid to a fancy, upscale restaurant but for example in my country Switzerland, people love hiking and going for long walks. It's basically a national leisure activity that everyone does on the weekends and so we've got a lot of very casual restaurants (especially up in the mountains) where you just go to have a hearty lunch plate of bratwurst and potatoes and I think that's a place I might take my 2-year old child after some family hiking without feeling too worried.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 4

• You can take her already, just don't let her ruin things. When I was under 5 and went to restaurants I always behaved myself (and yes, I do remember, good memory).

• Tame them well.
    I'm the same way, I work at the front end of a grocery store and I always think how I'll never wanna take my kids to the store until they're like 10 years old, because I would hate to disturb other people.

• Well it comes down to she's a 2 year old and will sometimes act like a toddler

• It depends on whether they behave, and if the parents (you) help cleaning up te mess a little bit I don't think it would be much of a problem. But I definitely wouldn't go to a restaurant with my child (ren) unless they can eat properly by themselves.

• We would help cleanup lol butni just don't want to make a scene u know?

• Yea I understand, just decide whether you think they can behave for an hour.

• I've taken mine own from the time they were young, not all the time, but sometimes.

If I get good service with my kids, and the staff treats them well, I tip slightly above the normal tip range in my country.

Sorry about the mess.

• Well I mean I was a baby to and messy but now that I'm a parent I dknt want to leave the impression of that's the coue that lets their daughter get away with murder and leave the place a mess when I actually am doing all I can to keep her from doing so.