Men, guys, boys... do you try to not cry? what are your thoughts about males crying?

Girls, I love you so much, but this is for the guys, if you want to share your opinion you're free to do so, but this is more for them.

• I'm a man, I cry whenever I want to
  • I'm a man, I cry only when I'm alone so no one notices
  • I'm a man, I try to never cry
  • I'm a man, and I think I'll stop being a man if I cry
  • I'm a man and a human, that's why I just let myself feel
  • I'm a girl
Awww guys, your answers will make me cry :( that' so sad to read.

Most Helpful Guy

• I try not to get to the stage where I would cry.

In public and around people and stuff, I would try my hardest not to cry. The reasoning is because it is embarasing. It sticks out, people stare at you, and you feel super vulnerable. I would cry in public only if given very strong reason too, and if it is that strong of a reason, chances are there would be no stopping the crying even if I wanted to 😅

If I do cry though, it is probably going to be in private, at night, lights off, crying to myself in the silence of the dark. It is a miserable experience, but I'm not going to hold back when I'm alone.

Crying is like the pressure release valve on emotions. If the pressure builds up, you gotta do something so you don't explode.

I'm kind of an emotional person at heart so I can get teary eyed depending on the situation, but I try my best to only cry in private. I don't like people I don't know seeing me like that.

Notable exceptions of being ok to cry in public include funerals (esp. of closed loved ones) and my dogs dying.
    (I mean it is sad when you are told by father in a broken up voice "you can pet him for the last time" as your dog you grew up with for years is gasping for breath. Crap. Now I'm actually getting teary eyed thinking about it 😖)

I'm human. I cry too. I'm probably more emotional than I often like to admit 😅

Most Helpful Girl

• Nothing wrong with men crying, it's only bad to cry if your crying 24/7. That goes for women too.

What Guys Said 69

• What the hell Amy! When things all of a sudden turn south, and everbody's takin' turns rowing leaky life rafts, somebody needs to assume the roll of pretending everything is going according to plan! The last thing we need is a John Boner standing at the helm weeping and whimpering like a girl who fell off her bike! Somebody has to man-up!

• I'm trying to think of the last time I cried. It was probably around 2007. And before that was likely in the 90s. I didn't even cry when my grandmother died a couple of years ago.

While guys of my generation were DEFINITELY taught a whole lot of confusing mixed messages, crying or otherwise showing weakness was NOT one of them. That lesson was crystal clear: DON'T.

• A - I cry whenever I want, which is maybe once every 5-10 years.

I don't buy all this bullshit that guys don't cry because society teaches them that. Guys just don't cry as much. They just aren't as emotional in general as women - or maybe they just show it in different ways. It just amazes me some of the things women cry about - I'm like wtf, that's nothing!!! Sure guys should cry if there is a reason, but there isn't a reason very often.

• I'll say A, but re-phrase it as "... when I need to". There are many simple things that will just "get to me". Last night, we were playing some New Age music on the hi-fi. One was called "Out of the Depths" by Terry Oldfield. The sound of whales calling to each other just set me off in front of sis and mum. NOT a pretty sight...

• Well I was raised to be simply that a man, but with that being said my father has no problem crying and neither do I, I just well don't cry often, hardly anything ever really gets a reaction out of me like that, and it's not due to society or anything like that, just the way I am, I'm just not a crier for the most part even when emotional touched or moved.

This is probably one of the few things that's ever actually made me cry and that's only because my people were victims of the Nazi's purges one of the first victims actually, though hardly anyone actually knows they were persecuted.

https://youtu.be/sHcJtU9dr6I

• Well.. i don't use emotions so if something was so bad that i had to shed a tear or two... i don't care.
    I've teared up, but its rare for it to spill.
    I've had to make it spill on a couple occasions though... but it was just acting :)

• We cry in the inside!! haha. I mean even when we do cry, we ignore and downplay it. Because that's what society has trained us to do.

• Kinda somewhere between B and C. It hurts even more when you are in so much pain you can't even cry, no matter how hard you try, it just amplifies it. Regardless though, I kinda welcome crying anyway. Becoming so numb to everyone and everything, it just get too dark. I much rather simply feel something, anything, than nothing, cause yeah is honestly worse when become like that. While I dont know if this is cause of me spesificly or cause I try to supress myself in a way, I dont know.

• Men are raised not to show any emotions other than joy and anger. Crying is for sissies and you'll get beat up if you cry, so suck it up. Oh you broke your leg, walk it off, man up, whatcha crying for it's only a bullet wound. So what you don't see other guys crying, what the hell has crying ever got you anyway, but no empathy nothing affirmed, so stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about.. Is often heard by other men and even mothers, and you ladies wonder why we don't cry so easily...

• Awww I feel so sorry for all of you :( It's just a terrible thing. My dad cries whenever he feels like it, so I've always wonder why the rest don't do it as much as he does. It's awful :(

• I would never want to see my dad cry because he is the man of the house and I would not able to take him serious

• @mentor Does he take you serious? Someday you'll be the man of the house looking up to someone is all well and good however making a judgment in regards to how they show emotion or lack there of, would be out of character for many. The last time you cried, whether it was a week ago or many years ago as a youngin, did your dad make the same judgment of you? Emotions are nothing more than the brains way to communicate pain, they are neither here nor there they just are. The judgments come from society as a whole.

• I cried a lot when I was an abused child, regardless of the fact that I was told not to cry when I was brutally beaten. I guess that is why I don't cry anymore, although I could be emotional- I show sadness or anger.

I think that most of boys were taught not to try, which sounds like a bull shit to me. I think guys can be just as emotional as girls, although there might be more guys who conceal their hurt while more girls tend to let it out, which I think is perhaps another reason why you don't see as much guys crying as girls, but some really do cry, but not crying like a baby, if you know what I mean.

I personally think it is good to cry sometimes and believe that it does not matter if you are a guy or girl, you should know when and why before you cry and learn from the pain, so that you would not have to cry for the same reason again, and I feel bad/sad for my friends when they cry, or even complete strangers.

• I try not to cry, but if I can't hold it in, I would definitely try to not cry in front of other, that'd be embarrassing.

• I have nothing against guys crying but personally I try not to as in my mind that would come off as being weak. But that's only when there are other people around. If no one's around, I may find myself a secluded corner and let it go.

• Unless there's a "legit" reason, like a death or something, it usually looks like this

odditymall.com/includes/content/baby-mask-1.jpg

• I've cried but only while on my own, normally when I'm in bed or my bedroom. When I do cry, I avoid anyone until my eyes aren't as red and people can't tell.

• Boys don't cry, Men do.

There are times it's ok to cry:
    Like when your dog dies.
    At your wedding (that shit is emotional).

Then there are times it's just not done:
    at other peoples weddings,
    When you dont get your way
    When your fav sports team looses

• If "god" or men were not supposed to cry according to society then men shouldn't have been born with lacrimal glands. I however don't try to cry just cause I don't like the feeling physically and emotionally plus I try not to do it in public cause I feel like people would see it as a sign of weakness.

• Combination of B and C. I try not to but if I do it will only be if Im alone.

• I always try to keep myself away from crying as hard as I can.

I can cry on the inside, but I can't remember the last time I cried on the outside. To me it's a sign of weakness, plus it solves absolutely nothing; as men, we're expected to suck it up, fix whatever issue we're facing and move forward. Nobody cares how we feel.

• I voted E... I rarely cry but if it would happen I'd let it happen :D
    It could also be because of happyness, I can be emotional sometimes :D

• I voted B) but I cry very rarely if ever, my sadness is channeled to anger most of the time. I think it is a direct result of suppressing sadness and crying and stuff.

• When I was a teen I cried super easily when I was in a confrontation for some reason, so then at a certain point I was told to "man up, because you are 15 years old" and then I started supressing it. But now, if I have to cry I just let it go, but preferably in private and I only cry in situations where I deem it okay, like when me an my ex broke up last week.

• I cry over Death

• I chose B but it's a combo of both A and B. I try not to cry around other people but at times, I can't help it. I don't feel embarrassed by crying but at the same time, I try not to in public.

• most guys just don't cry. it's not that we don't try to, it's just we don't. and if we do, it's usually for a justified reason (like death) or we go in a room or some shit

• I am a guy I barely cry but when I do! I am alone and away from others.. I don't want anyone to see me at my worst! Or want anyone to know I am vulnerable

• I cry in sad situations, like lost of a family member..

I have cried in front of a girlfriend before, not for her, more likely just crying out of happines, it happens. I dont feel ashamed at all.

A true man will always be a man no matter how many tears
    Come out. A man who judged another man for being emotional in sad situations, i feel bad
    For
    U!

• You just look like a pussy if you start crying like you can't control your emotions seems like a weakness to me and I always try to never cry.

• When the going gets tough, a leader is needed and part of leadership involves keeping a stiff upper lip. However, in non life-threatening situations I tend to cry at certain times. I cried with joy when each of my four children were born. I'm a sucker for crying at movies, too. Women seem to find that particularly endearing for some reason. All in all, there's a time and a place for almost everything, including waterworks.

• Generally men are supposed to be caretakers or guardians in our society right now. Crying, being a way of telling others you are hurt emotionally or physically, is often seen as being weak. At least in public.

I haven't cried in front of anyone for more than four years. If I want to whine about my life I'll do it one the Internet.

• I hold it, definitely. I don't want to cry in front of anyone, and even if I'm by myself, I hold it because that's the right thing to do, suck it up and move forward.

• More from Guys
    39

What Girls Said 3

• Society is so weird, human beings cry but men are "not allowed" to cry, human beings are sexual but women are "not allowed" to be sexual. Can we just admit that we are not robots already?

• There's nothing wrong with a guy showing his emotions from time to time. I understand that they can't always be tough cookies.

• Crying men? I think it's sweet.