How offensive is it to say "thats gay"?

I'm asking because I have a friend whos a lesbian and she always says "Oh thats gay" Or she says "He looks like a faggot" so its not that offensive to her, and she's gay herself. Unless its one of those "we're taking it back" things where they can say it, but straight people can't. I don't know, what do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm starting to use it more and more. It's basically just a general use expletive. It's funny BECAUSE I'm not really talking about homosexuality.

e. g.
    "Oh, you like the Transformer movies? Could you be a bigger faggot?"
    "I'm not voting Hilary because she's gay as fuck."

Gayfags don't get to 'own' words. If straightfags want to use them then they should be able to. Making words restricted gives them power, using them casually takes away the power they have over people. I don't tell people they can't use "cishet scum" because it's not about the words it's about people's intent.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it shows ignorance more than anything. It became a catchall phrase for disdain some time ago, but isn't descriptive at all and really makes no sense in the context used.

"Its so gay we have school today." 🙄
    "That faggot keeps screwing my girlfriend."🤔
    "It's so queer that my curfew is 10 p. m." 😩

Or, put it this way:
    "That shirt she was wearing was really hetero."
    "It's totally straight that you got detention today."
    "I know that fucking breeder stole my iPod."

But yeah, gay people can be ignorant. That doesn't mean you should be content with demeaning a whole demographic of people while adding no context, weight or validity to your what you're saying.

What Guys Said 20

• In the gay community many things can be said and not be offensive, but would be offensive is said by someone outside of it. Much like certain offensive words are considered offensive enough to go to war if said by non-blacksm yet blacks use them all the time.

• My bff is gay and i use that term and well... i get looks... he says its offensive.. i take his word for it. i mean i accept him as he is but im just used to it lol
    and @Red_Arrow has the rest of my point.

• Some find it offensive and some don't. I think we should leave it to her and other lgbt beauties to choose. Also you are very bcute, it caught my attention and just wanted to let you know.

• Well I can understand why it could be considered offensive. It's pretty much referring to an entire group as a negative.

• Not that offensive, my ex is gay and she uses that term and I've used it around her quite a few times it never bothered her.

• It's hateful and shouldn't be done. It's akin to calling a black person a ni**er. Or calling a Mexican person a wetb*ck.

• I can't link the video yet because of my Xper level but if you're interested in learning why.
    Go to YouTube and search.
    "Louis CK learned - Why gay people are called faggot"

• I don't even think I say that unless someone says something that is in fact gay. So I don't say it just cuz that's like non blacks saying nigga.

• I don't find it offensive but I do associate it with unintelligent, self-absorbed people. Just like black people who overuse the n-word by the way. Man I really hate self-censoring, glad to be living in the 'rude' Netherlands to be quite honest.

• It's just like the word nigga. People say I can say it because I'm black.

• Someone basically said what I said but the old white man version.

• #TeamPettyAf Damnnn Nigga.. u just gone say Nigga like that in front of all these niggas... smh? No but seriously I'm not even gay and I find the way some idiot's use that word as a negative statement very damn offensive! Because there is nothing wrong with being gay when will people stop getting so butthurt (no pun intended) about what other's choose to do with their sexual preferences! Damn can they live their lives!!!

• Doesn't offend me at all. I say it sometimes.

• I don't care when people say it.

• It's not offensive at all.

• Not offensive at all #nohomo

• I say it.

words are ambiguous yknow

• People like to use the term "gay" when they want to say that something is stupid, which is generally rude.

• I dont think so but when i say it it has nothing to do with sexuality

• not offensive

• not offensive. say it as much as u want.

• It might be offensive but it is nowhere near as offensive as people saying thats retarded.

• I say this ofen

• @orphan Saying this is worse than saying you rape a school child

What Girls Said 13

• She's not sensitive.
    Some people are and will take offense to it.
    The saying is implying that gay is wrong or bad.

• Depends who you are saying it to

• it's stupid, English is a rich language to use that kind of word for describing stuff.

• I guess it's more of a phrase as opposed to a word but I get what you mean.

• @Joc4Position everything that doesn't agree with me, is an argument lol

• I find it really offensive and I am gay

• I think gay is not offensive but faggot is. If either word is used in a negative tone that belittles the gay/faggot, than it is definitely offensive

• Wow she is perpetuating the cycle...

• I've known some people that are gay to find it pretty offensive.

• I'm not gay myself and I'm not going to be offended for gay people

• It depends on how you use it yes gay means happy but using it in a negative context can be offensive.

• i thought that was 90s/00s term

• I use the word faggot a lot and nobody around me seems to care

• Gay people can be homophobic just like black people can be racist.

• I assume its the same thing with blacks using the n word amongst themselves, its okay if you are one...