Do you understand your own mortality?

I like to believe i do but it's an indivual thing, a way of thinking.

Do you understand your own mortality?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm actually fascinated by it. I can't say for sure that it's in good way or bad. Mostly it's disorienting.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 7

• I try not to. I once woke up from a "nightmare" where my brain was trying to come up with how it would be after I died. The sheer magnitude of the emptiness and nothingness was so incomprehensible that I couldn't continue on sleeping.

So I don't think about the subject.

• This is one of those occasions when it is right to play the age card - It is definitely something you become more aware of as you grow older - If you have been fortunate in life you will reach middle age without experiencing death of a loved one - Now for me it is easier to count my friends whose both parents are alive than those who have suffered a loss - It is even getting into the territory now of peers I have one friend who has lost a brother and a sister in law.
    You honestly don't realise it until it happens to you, I can't explain it when you lose a loved one, something happens to you and increased awareness of mortality is very much a feature of it.

• What we choose to believe about our mortality has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of it. For instance, we can choose to believe there is no God; however, should God actually exist our unbelief becomes a very large "oops".

• Yeh I'm pretty sure I get it I could die anytime and when I do there will be nothingness and It'll be like my mind and I have faded away and everything I've ever done will be like it never happened.

• Like Understand I'm going to die.
    Yeah I do.
    I'm not too worried about it, I've had encounters with ghosts and I'm pretty damn sure that there is something on the other side

• Just a part of the life cycle.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 2

• Understanding wouldn't change a damn thing about the reality of it. Death is one of the very few things that ever terrify me. I hate it. You can survive everything nowadays except that. Plus I try not to waste too much time thinking about stuff I cannot explain away anyways.

• I understand mortality's impact on those left behind, but none of us will ever truly known and understand death except possibly those who survived the verge of death. It is very personal what we choose to believe in though.