Is rewarding participation good or bad?

What do you think of policies, such as kids getting trophies for participating in a contest, or when you allow upvotes but not downvotes?

• It's a good thing
  • It's a necessary evil
  • It does more harm than good
  • It's an abomination

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that in some cases it's good. Like when I was in high school I got into the all state Honor Choir. I was the first kid from my district to make it in in over 16 years and the only one from my county. I was SUPER proud. There weren't any trophies for first, second, third, etc... But we did get participation plaques.

I'm super glad that we did. Now my life has gone in a completely different direction but I can still look at that plaque and remember how hard I worked and how much fun I had. I don't want to take that away from anyone else.

Most Helpful Guy

• People don't realise but the west especially is being shaped by the media. Those in charge want rid of any sporadic acting and any other base drives in a human being. It makes us more manageable. There's a big attack on the traditional family unit and even the basic bond between man and woman. You've seen it obviously. Feminism especially. Ask anybody old enough how much has changed. Effeminate men. Butch women. Career driven women who shun reproducing. A mixing of the west with the third world. You're being engineered to despise the basics joys of life and you go along with it happily. Why? Population control. There's rich bastards who decide how the world's managed and they've decided there's too many of us. The human race is their plaything. They fancy themselves gods and they decided we consume too much of the resources they consider theirs. They're fazing out any sense of competition or community. Americans call their kids purple penguins now instead of boy and girl. What a ridiculous idea. The people behind this should be shot dead. Yet you all applaud it. Your kids are being neutered by the authorities. Your raising a generation of ghosts. We need a revolution to displace these pigs but they're so smart people don't even know theyre being attacked. They think they're forward thinking and progressive. I read about tavistock in the uk and how it's research was implemented as a men as to control populations. This is real. Your lives are under threat. Bullshit websites like this are part of the problem

What Girls Said 6

• Well if you reward on good things then they may connect the two together and do the good thing more often.

If you're sneakily attempting to bring up the down vote feature being absent, I guess you'll just have to sit down and be patient for its return like the rest of us.

• I bring up the voting features because it's what people know on the internet. It's not just on this site. All of social media does it, and probably most other internet forums.

• And even then, only the videos. They took out the comment vote downs, or they don't' really do anything.

• True, I don't do much aside from watching videos so I'm not too familiar with features like that

• I used to find that very patronising when I was a kid. My teacher gave me a 'good try' sticker once and I wanted to punch her in the face.

• It's a terrible thing to do since it discourages hard work.
    Why would someone want to be the best when at the end of the day they'll just get the same poorly made award as the person who didn't try?

• does more harm than good

• Good thing. Motivates them to do good. Bad, if they have limited awards.

• People still know who's winning.

What Guys Said 10

• Its bad that is painfully obvious. You are saying that minimal effort is the same as maximum effort that failure is as good as success ie if everything is the same, if you can claim being successful for failing then why bother trying? Failure isn't bad in and of itself however it should function as a motivator to do better to learn from your mistakes and become better. by rewarding the failure you have now said that their is no reason to learn from it to become better. Its terrible that we instill this mind set because its incredibly detrimental to not just the individual but society as well. It helps create a sense of entitlment without the sense of obligation ie the sense of contributing your fair share since you never had to put in your fair share of work before to get a share of the prize.

• Bad I mean if you reward them for simply participating then why should they try for 3rd, 2nd or even 1st? if they already got a trophy, then what's the point?

Healthy competition and failure breeds excellence because the kids who fail or lose want what the winners have so they work harder, they get smarter, stronger, faster, better and maybe they win, maybe they don't but they improved themselves and they became better people because of their failure it drove them to be better. Excellence and being the best you can as an individual benefits society and the world as whole. And no one ever changed the world by sitting on the sidelines with their participation trophy.

• It devalues winning and teaches doing well is not as important as just showing up. That works fine when you're young but leaves you unprepared for dealing with adult life in everything from trying to get a job, advancing in your career, to even your love life.

How many girls here want a boyfriend who thinks doing the minimum by just existing in their relationship is good enough?

• Bad. It might be nice to allow the kid to feel at least some sense of victory in the face of defeat, but keep that up and they'll just grow up expecting to win at everything and that they'll always get their own way.

They won't. They'll be disappointed.

• It's ok to reward participation but the winner should be awarded more. It teaches a necessary life lesson. Trying is great but winners will be rewarded more. That's how real life is, it's good to learn this lesson early and gently.

• Depends on the primary goal. If you want to motivate people, it's good. But then everyone who participates should be awarded. Or the award should go to the person who makes the biggest effort.

On the other hand, if you want to curate the best, separate the good from the bad, etc. then it's a dumb idea.

• Its wrong and insulting. Also it stunts the growth of kids because it teaches them the importance of participation rather than winning which will not help them in adult life.

• I think it's a good thing to encourage people to participate, but there should be bigger prizes for the top team to reward achievement

• It ruined my childhood

• There should be first second and third place trophies, and kids should have to compete for them.