Is this statement true or false?

'The ego must justify its perversions'

• True
  • False
  • No idea

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say it is true for sure.

I've seen people get so stuck on an idea that they refuse to accept anything less than their original thought (and I've probably have done it, as it is simply human nature). The ego is responsible I would imagine. Rather, the ego forces the person to keep walking down the right path, because it fears of looking weak/wrong/stupid for backtracking and taking the right path.

No one likes to be proven wrong. It takes an overwhelming amount of hard evidence to make someone set in one way flip to the other side. It's bias. This is partially why it's much easier to persuade someone who is in an on-the-fence view rather than some far on the opposing side. Our ego controls us and adds illegitimate fuel to keep the fire going.

Sometimes ego in decision making is good because it helps us take leadership roles. If we were always questioning ourselves, nothing would ever get done. A leader needs to be decisive. The ego can fill in any gaps of missing decision making info there and help. That being said, the ego can also turn negative by causing us to have bias and be blinded in our preconceived notions. We frame everything to look in the light we want it to look in. This can be often considered "intuition."

As with every human emotion, there is a positive and a negative side.

• That is a damn good answer! :)

• "This is partially why it's much easier to persuade someone who is in an on-the-fence view rather than some far on the opposing side"

Yeah, I feel like its almost pointless to try and persuade someone who is on the opposing side. I have litterally never seen an instance where two people with opposing viewpoints got into an argument that resulted in either of them saying "you know what, I think you're right."

• Edits to my original post (I need to spell check better lol):
      ... and I* probably have done it, as it is simply human...
      ... keep walking down the *wrong* path, because it fears...
      ----
      Thank you asker!
      -----
      @Bandit74 For sure. It's very rare for someone to totally accept their faults from an argument. At best it tends to end with an "agree to disagree" statement.

What Girls Said 2

• no idea lol id need an example. i should imagine it varies from case to case but itd help if i could actually comprehend this xD

• I'm not even sure what you mean.

What Guys Said 3