Is it worse to fail at something or never attempt it in the first place?

• better to fail
  • better to not attempt
  • other (explain)

Most Helpful Guy

• Vote C : Other

By other I mean it's a combination of two. Yes, it's better to try and fail, however this logic doesn't apply in all situations, I strongly believe that not everything needs to be attempted, (you don't have to always learn things by burning your fingers each time), you don't have to fall flat on your face and learn things, if you know what I mean.

Most Helpful Girl

• Its better to fail. Im a person that learn from mistakes.. and there are things in my life that I didn't even bother undertaking.. Hence, its an experience lost and I wouldn't even know if Id succeed in it. Take it all in.
    Dont go asking this question if you wanna jump off a building though.. that's another 'story'. (cwutididthere)

What Guys Said 21

• I'd say better to not attempt. Sure the ocassional failure can make you stronger but if you somehow know/strongly suspect the end result will be failure then I think its better to not waste time attempting something you will fail at. Maybe its not complete waste of time but if I spent a lot of time and energy with the intent of gaining/achieving X and I end up with either nothing or maybe something different than X then I do think it was at least, a less than ideal use of my time.

Time is the most valuable thing we have, its finite and you never get it back. Id rather avoid attempting something that I am likely to fail at, and instead invest that time in something I have a better chance of succeding at.

• if you didn't even try, you can't even say that you gave enough of a damn to try.
    if you fail, you can usually try again. if not, you at least know where your limitations are.

• It depends if you know you are bad at something like catching a ball then it would be foolish to be a outfield catcher in a pickup game.

• If you never try that is a failure... :)

• Its worse to not attempt, because not attempting involves the admitting that you will fail while trying at least gives you the chance of succeeding.

• Think of the expression: "If you never go to bat, you'll never hit a home run"

If it's important to you, in a meaningful way, go for it.

But keep things in perspective, like no stupid dares, or anything that's not worth the consequences of the fail, where you might have to do something demeaning or against your best interests or sensibilities.. . Do I have to spell it out? Nah.

• Tom Edison failed almost 2000 times when he was inventing the light bulb. I am glad he kept trying!

• You will not regret the things you attempted and decided were not for you. You will regret the things you were afraid to try.

• No one has ever achieved anything without failing again and again. The only difference between true success and complete failure is whether you're willing to fail many times before you make it.

• Its better to fail and learn then never try in the first place.

• I spent 80% of my money taking a trade that I could fail... but know what? if I don't fail I will benefit so much from this $$$ wise.

• it is better to fail than to never try

• A for the win.

• Fail 💁

• you're too young for Star Wars Logic... But here goes:
    "DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY!"
    You were waiting for someone to say that right?

• depends how much effort and energy is required, also; is it reasonable?

• its better to fail at something then never trying it.

• Definitely to fail

• Failure teaches. Not trying leaves you wondering what if.

• Never attempt and then fail after attempting

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 8

• a failure made you recognize your mistake, and let you improve it to be better. I always thankful in my failure, it's actually opens up new opportunities to something better

• Never to attempt it, because if you fail , you can learn from your mistakes, try again , but next time more wisely.

• I'd rather have failed miserably than to have never tried to attempt whatever it was. I'm too old to go back down memory lane beating myself up about a... I would of, could of, should of, but didn't type situation. I'm hung like a bull baby! #BrassBalls The only thing holding us back is fear it's self. If you can conquer fear, you can conquer ANYTHING! I'm headed towards #WORLDDOMINATION kiddies mwahahahahaa

• It's worse to never attempt it. Who the heck knows whether or not you can achieve it if you don't try it out first?
    And even if you do fail the first time, doesn't mean you won't succeed the second time.

• Better to fail. At least you tried and never have to wonder "What if?".

• It's worst to never attempt it in the first place.

• I would say to fail, at least you tried

• depend on what