Talking to someone when they're on their phone?

If someone is playing on their phone, texting for example, is it considered rude or strange to talk to them? Do people generally want to be left alone if they are on their cell phones?

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends. I was on my phone while getting my hair done today but every time the hairdresser talked to me I just paused what I was doing and interacted with her.

I didn't want her to think she had to fill up any awkward silences so I just used my phone as an inbetween thing when she wasn't explaining something or asking questions.

Most Helpful Guy

• A common trend with the rise of smartphones is killing time on your phone versus talking to other people. Some people use their phone as an excuse to not talk to people while others do it for the lack of other people to talk to (myself). The former would turn you down where as the latter would enjoy you sitting down and talking to me. So it depends on the person unfortunately, but I would say if your comfortable doing it don't afraid to do so you never know who you'll meet.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 1

• If they aren't talking into the phone I think its fine.