What keeps you going when things are hard or just depressing?

Lately I just want the bed to swallow me up and never let me see myself again!

Most Helpful Guy

• I developed a technic...

I imagine the person that i wished to be, or im aiming to be, how he thinks, talks or even walks...

Then, if for some reason i'm feeling shitty, ... i imagine that person coming into me. I imagine that he (my future me...) had come from the future to help me get what i want, so he starts talking to me... and say things like "move your ass dude, did you eat the breakfast already?", or we just "talk about life "orange... you know what i think about that, you should do what i have said to you yesterday"...

And the guy never shuts up until i do what he things i should do.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 37

• I feel exactly the same. I'm in college, far away from home, far away from my girlfriend. She has been through some hard time with her family, she cries a lot during our Skype calls, which hurts a lot to hear. The team I support just lost a big game. I was in a car crash last Sunday (I'm okay but my arm still hurts like hell, but the car is garbage now). Since my arm hurts I can't work out (which is the way I usually release stress). I could go on and on haha!

Yesterday I just drank myself to sleep. I never did that in my life, so it was kind of weird, but it felt good and my arm didn't hurt while I was drunk haha. :)
    But this is just stuff we have to go through. Just know that like you there are millions of others who also feel down and need a hug and a kiss. This makes me feel like I am not alone. :) I like answering stuff on this site to help others, and that helps me to get a part of my motivation back. Calling my mom and my girlfriend, chating with my hilarious best friend, hanging out with my brother, those things help me. :) Better days will come, don't worry, smile! :)

• the thought of "if things suck this badly, then surely when something good comes along it'll be all that much more enjoyable."

but then i get the thought of "yeah, but after that's over, it'll go right back to sucking again, except, for the same reasons, that much more horrible"

I reply "True, but then that means the next enjoyable moment will be even better."

"Yes, but that too will be temporary. When will the misery end?"

"Oh, it won't. You just have to raise your tolerance for the misery so you're not always dancing on the edge. Give up on your dreams of discovering what's over the horizon, step away from the cliff and watch it erode from a safe distance. The constant onslaught of new limitations won't make life any better, but at least it makes it simpler."

"But it's eating away at my soul. It is no longer a matter of limiting my dreams - those have long since been picked clean. Now it's limiting my realities as well."

"yes, but that's your own fault for allowing it to happen."

"what does it matter who's fault it is? anyway, I didn't choose it."

"It matters because if you are responsible, then you should take responsibility. You may not have chosen this life, but you chose not to avoid it."

"I did choose to avoid it. I saw it coming, and even tried to avoid it, but I'm just not any good at denying myself to greedy people. I can't change that. It was how I was raised."

"Then perhaps this is merely a learning experience. Perhaps you will learn to deny yourself to greedy people, because now you know the consequences."

"But I'll probably be in my 50's before I can finally be free of this situation. Then what's the point? It's not like I can do anything fun in my 50's."

"You can't do anything you currently consider fun, but you might find new fun things to do."

"Might. So, you're saying I should hold out due to the chance that things might get better one day?"

"Yes. Be the happy servant to prevent more pain, and when the time is ripe, walk away."

"Sounds like a wasted life."

"Then why did you waste it?"

"I didn't. Someone else identified me as a handy sacrifice for their own purposes. They wasted it."

"And you let them."

"That doesn't mean I forgive them. I can't be a happy servant to anyone."

"Then life will continue to be miserable for you."

"That's going to happen regardless. I can at least make others suffer with me, so they don't get too comfortable with my misery."

"then do it"

• My pet snake. He forces me to get off my ass and take care of him. Plus he makes me laugh

• Hope, curiosity and fear.

Hope that things can change for the better, curiosity for what the new day will bring and fear of death/ the unknown.

• My anger!.. Its my ultimate source of going on in anything!.. During workout or sport... But I am looking for a better source..
    Anger is very easy to store in as rage and use when necessary but when I am done with things!.. I realize how much damaged it left me..
    So it's a easy source but not a nice one,
    Inner peace is a better one..
    Or you can just let music trigger your feet to dance and hop like a bunny as you work..

• You have to keep moving forward if not you sit around and do nothing

• Sometimes i like to write down my ideas and inner most thoughts. listening to specific music along with it helps me in great lengths. hang in there, enjoy and think about what puts a grin or smile on your face. even if it's for a brief few seconds or minutes.

• Feelings are fleeting. I may feel stressed or bad but in time that will change. There's always opportunity to gradually improve life overall. Effort may be necessary, but in time the end result can be worth it.

• Knowing that it'll be better keeps me going, knowing that fighting will make me better
    Hard... is.. the pain around me

• I'm stubborn.

• I just ignore the bad stuff and pretend it's not there.

• I just don't let things get me down, when I do feel a little down I go do something active and it cleans the slate!

• the though of what ever is bothering me, letting it win. bothers me more than the actual problem.
    i think it goes back to being told as a child i would never amount to anything so i have always fought to prove it wrong.

• I do not know.
    Sometimes I spent hours reciting Shakespeare to a Colt 1911. I do not know why I have not kissed the barrel.

• My loved ones. <3 :)

• Not living for oneself and living through and for everyone else gives reason for me to go on. Sometimes I feel sad, pity, and worry about others or myself, but really, that love and hope and caring is what keeps me going. I should not have said that though, now my enemies will use that against me...

• Music! It cures depression in my opinion, especially motivational songs. Like my favorite,

Indestructible-Disturbed

• 1|0
  • Faith.

• My family, friends and my hobby.
    Come on Apple, you'll get through it. We're here for you :D :D

• Sex, lots of it!

• The last shred of hope that one day it'll get better. At least a little better. ANY better.

• Fuck If I know, lately I want to crawl into a comfortable and dark space, curl up and die

• Same! I wish I could disappear from the planet! Or finally get shot like most people! lol

• Don't I know it

• Yeah it sucks ): I really wish I could stay at a hospital forever. It close I'll ever get to death until I am what 50!

• Big V8's.

• Actually... um... yes. lol

I suppose you've read some of my maudlin recollections of welding together rattys at 3AM when sleep just wasn't happening

• The hope of heaven

I know someday the massive shit storm that is life

It'll get better

I'll hsve a job someday
    A house
    Etc etc

If not I'll die and when I'll die I'll rest in peace

• The thought of depriving this world of my joyous presence is enough of a lie to get me out of bed.

• what's so horrible about your life?

• Video games. Mostly Zelda.

• I also like listening to music as I work. That can help a lot. Especially with music from, yet again, Zelda. lol 😉

• Play Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and Link's Awakening

• @M_A_X GBC and N64 Zelda will always be the best! And the Oracle games where almost as advanced as a GBA game!

• I just watch stuff. Shows, movies, go on YouTube, or listen to music.

• My girlfriend

• another one O: lol

• Well, I'm pretty sure I've ruined everything, cuz something I said made it seem like I had a lack of compassion when that wasn't true, I was trying to lighten the mood, and ended up saying something that probably hurt her more then her dog being sent to the kennel, maybe I should just stop dating, and live a lonely life to where I won't hurt anyone

• I am living the life haha!

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 27

• I'm so sorry to hear that you are having a rough time! I am too! The things that I have found to help are doing things I enjoy.

Eating my favourite snacks is a good one. I also try to get physically active. Endorphins make you happy! Even if it doesn't completely get rid of the depressed feelings, it can certainly help.

Listening to my favourite music, reading a good book, even spending time with friends helps too!

It's also good to have a person you can talk to about your problems. Sometimes just having someone listen makes a big difference!

• Pretty much just going anyways - I find physical activities and getting out and interacting with people to be the best solution - even though its the last thing you actually want to do.

Take one thing that you have been dying to try for forever, and do it.

Whenever you're not kicking yourself in the ass - kick yourself in the ass lol. I know there are times when it's like nothing you can ever do or say is right and you just want to hide away for eternity, but there are always those breaks around the edges when it isn't quite that bad, thats when you have to seize the opportunity to tell youself you can do better than this.

There are some chosen simple pleasures that everyone has - comfort food and go to movies and spa style pampering. Really taking care of yourself like this today can make a big difference in how much you feel you can accomplish tomorrow.

• I understand you. I also have days like that.
    When I'm down, I think about all the things I still want to do and how my life will be once I'm living in another country.
    That makes me feel better and keeps me motivated and strong.

Hope things get better in your life :)

• I just do things that I love. I'm a writer, so I write down two things, one of stuff that makes me sad/depressed, and one of things that make me happy, even if it be simple things like drinking hot cocoa on a cold day. All you can really do is find things that you enjoy doing and try them, if all else fails and the depression worsens talk to a doctor.

• I used to hate myself and take it out on others, life would turn against me.
    I would fail tests, my friends would betray me, my homework would never be finished.
    Loads of sleep deprivation (it's 2:30am where I am lolll)
    Usually I would focus on something else that makes me happy, like pets, family, and friends.
    If there's nothing that makes me happy at the time, I would eat.
    No, literally, I would head over to Tim Hortons and get myself an Iced Capp and a box of timbits.

But what do I do that keeps me going the most? Listen to music.

Music just sort of speaks to me.
    All the lyrics literally represent my life.
    The vocals, the background, everything-I might even want to become a song artist one day, because music inspires me so.
    It just makes my stress go away, and it makes me do my 'happy' dance.
    When I'm taking a shower? Music.
    When I get ready in the morning? Music.
    When I sleep? Music.
    When I listen to a teacher rant about something boring? Music (jks. i only did it twice.)

• Being a hardass that won't allow myself to give up.

• My family and friends. My future. I have so many plans for myself. I have so many dreams that I plan to make true. I can't let myself give up on them.

• Just keep moving forward in the belief that if you do, things will get better than what they are as you are standing still in it.

• There are usually 2 ways I handle this
    1. I am lucky to have great parents and friends who really care about me and encourage me
    2. I listen to music, maybe cry and then work on changing the situation I am in

• Ah I know that feeling well. Keep to a timetable, have goals for every day (even if motivation or goal-setting is the last thing on your mind) and it's important to reward yourself with something you usually would enjoy. Also, if you have a pet or something, keep them close. Good company is better than being alone, especially when you don't feel like leaving your house. Remember, you WILL pull through. I am a living example of it, and I'm confident the same goes for you.

• Mmm music is all I can think about to be honest. Just some good soulful music

• the hope of something delicious to eat. but usually, there's nothing. and i descend further into a pity of melancholy.

• I feel the same. I just think of my future and that if I work hard now, I will have a future to look forward to.

• Those I'm close to and music are really the best things for me to keep me going.

• My wrtiing, food, sleep, music, my boyfriend, photo taking

• That I'll come out a better stronger more knowledgeable person. That it's just an obstacle. And there is no obstacle in this life that we can't overcome.

• Just hope and faith that things would turn out better. Thats all I have going for me anyways,

• Same, I sleep a lot and sometimes I go to the gym and try to work out all my sadness.

• gotta get through the worst to get the best

• After my last 2 weeks I have no idea what keeps me going.

• My family and future. Thats what I keep in mind.

• I don't eat for days as I'm anorexic and bulimic
    I'm not happy I cry all the time
    Listen to sad songs don't get up of bed
    Or try to not do anything for about a week

• Nothing I just do self harm

• My fiance & future mother-in-law. Cuddles, chocolate, music.

• Faith in God.

• Family and positive people around me keeps me going :)