Has an act of mercy ever changed your life? How?

I'm reading a book in which the author discusses a time when he had a chance to study in Rome. Everything was paid for except for his flight, which his mother paid for. Shortly before he was supposed to leave, she called and asked him to bail his brother out of jail with the money for his flight. His brother had been discharged from the military, been arrested on more than a few occasions, fathered children by multiple women, and was a habitual drug user. In the end, he bailed his brother out.

A few years later, his brother had managed to build a solid career and start a family. When the author asked his brother what made him change, he said it was his sacrificing of his dream trip to Rome. It made him realize just how far off the deep end he'd gone.

Has an act of mercy, however great or small, changed your life? If so, how?

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to cut. Habitually. And one day, someone who I was texting (my boyfriend of a few months) asked me "are you feeling ok today" and I ended up telling him no but I didn't want to talk about it. His response changed my life. Up until that point I didn't think I could stop, and I'm a really closed person so I didn't want to talk about it. He said "if you ever want to talk, I won't shun you for whatever is wrong" so j told him I wanted to cut and I knew I shouldn't but wanted to, and he was like "imagine my wrists looking like your will. Imagine that every time you want to cut." I've been clean for over a year and it's because of what he said. We're still together, an I'm lucky to have him.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes and while I wouldn't call it an act of mercy it certainly was an act of kindness and one I will never forget, but a friend I know her family ( they're farmers I think ) out of the blue bought my family like a months supply of food, and then again when Thanksgiving came around bought all the ingredients and food for Thanksgiving and more. Simply because the father wanted to thank my father for his military service to our country and because he wanted to help us out.

It was quite an experience and really helped bring some hope back towards humanity. And reminded me that there are truly good and great people still in this world.

What Girls Said 5

• When I was a kid I was 3 cents short at the store so the cashier gave me the extra three cents from the take a penny leave a penny. Ever since then I've always left my spare pennies in the take a penny leave a penny dish.

• I swear I was following you!
    No never happen!

• Not really.

• No it has never happened.

• the acts of mercy i have performed have done nothing but ruin parts of my life

What Guys Said 2

• I've experienced several. Because strange things keep happening to me that I can't foresee or control. The acts have convinced me not to give up on life, no matter how chaotic it becomes.

• Not that I could think of