So my bank has been robbed twice and they got a bank guard however she is unarmed. What is up with that?

I mean people who rob banks generally come in armed.
So whats the point in having an unarmed guard, its not like she can just talk a bank robber down.
Seriously how stupid is that

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, perhaps they can't have her in there with a gun for liability reasons? I know if I went to a bank, I would feel uneasy if the person had a gun. Even if they were a guard.

Perhaps the goal of the guard is to not stop an armed robber, but to deter wannabe criminals from committing an act? Sometimes a small amount of visible security is enough to deter someone from committing a criminal act.

That is why people often put signs and stickers up saying they have an alarm system, when they don't. Or people putting up fake cameras. It's a deterrence for people because they do not know whether it's real or not. Most criminals are looking to commit and easy crime, especially with a robbery.

People target places which are easy targets, because they want to get in, and get out quick before the police come. However, if there are people watching for suspicious people, or people there who could pose a threat to their plan, it might make the criminal think twice about committing the act.

The guard may also help in a situation where the clients and workers in the bank are held hostage. Perhaps the guard is going to help keep people calm?

Most Helpful Guy

• They are afraid of lawsuits I guess and a real trained guard would cost more money. She is probably temporary to make the customers feel better.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 7

• I would argue that most bank robbers are in fact not armed. And having an unarmed officer stand there still works. Think about it this way: even if she was armed, a smart bank robber with a gun could easily get her out of the way. Walk up to her, pull the trigger short range, use the moment of surprise... no chance for the officer, armed or unarmed.
    However, most bank robbers are not Mexican cartel monsters who just brutally kill anyone that comes in their way. Most bank robbers are actually quite regular guys. The hardest hurdle for them to overcome is the psychological barrier. If you walk into a bank without a guard, there is no such barrier (or it's incredibly small). However, if there is a guard, there's a psychological hurdle. You know what you're doing is wrong and just to make you feel even worse, there's an officer standing there. Also, she might give you some suspicious looks and you have to fight not to show with your face that you're up to no good. Having a guard stand there - even if she's unarmed - can be psychologically very intimidating for a potential bank robber and it can be just enough to turn around and go home again. In the banks in my country, we don't have any police officers standing around and the police officers that you see in the city actually don't carry any guns or tasers.

• Yeah but if people do have guns and I do know that guns were used in the past two then the fact is she would have been useless

• Because it creates a psychological barrier, as I said several times now.

• It's actually only about half of bank robberies in the US in which any weapons are used or displayed.

www.fbi.gov/.../robberymain

An armed guard generally increases the chances of an innocent person being injured, which raises a liability risks for the bank. So most unarmed guards are in place for the deterrence factor and to help direct, for lack of a better term, the robbery in terms of keeping employees and customers calm and getting the crook out of the building as smoothly and as quickly as possible. They are also there to help insure integrity of the crime scene and as generally trained to be better witnesses for law enforcement than the general public.

• Theses guards are not intended to prevent a robbery but attempt to prevent customers from being injured and that's all

• How are they supposed to do that, be the person who gets iced

• By trying to keep everyone else calm so not to agitate the robbers... Theoretically

• retarded people whine and scream and bitch and moan and complain that they don't feel safe around a gun, and so the guard can't have a gun, because fucking idiots feel safe with a guard, but unsafe if that guard has a gun.

There's no cure for stupid. and sadly, stupid hurts a lot of people. like the bank guard who got shot.

• I don't think it has anything to do with that in this case.
      I'm pretty sure that it costs more to an armed guard than it does to get an unarmed one and my bank can be cheap bastards sometimes

• @BlueCoyote @ksoma
      Could you just please have this conversation through messages. I don't want to hear this.

• I already ended it. The conversation is over.

• A gunfight in a closed space like a bank risks making a number of victims.
    A good insurance is better than a cowboy (and often cheaper too)

• but why have one at all if they can't prevent a bank robbery and do anything a good camera system cannot

• "Unarmed guards keep wannabe gangsters and drunks away"
      No, they won't keep drunks away, but the big problem these days are drug addicts.
      They'll approach you and scream at you for money, once even inside the bank

• drug addicts too, granted.

• An unarmed guard is just another target.
    The bank must be run by Democrat libtards.

• One guard with a pistol against a few highly armed robber a gun is more likely death sentence in a robbery then any use