How to stop my computer overheating?

so i got a pretty decent computer but its not for big ish games. so today i downloaded darksiders and it seems like a pretty cool game. but it was really obvious my computer was working hard cause it the air coming out of it was pretty damn warm. is there any way i can stop[ this or minimalise the heat?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• It would be. easier to help if we knew the model of laptop and which processor it has. But basics would be to check the temps first (I use core temp), to see if it really is overheating, next would be to check to make sure the air vents aren't blocked, next would be to clean it with a can of compressed air, and check all fans to make sure their working properly and if it's still is running too hot, you can use a chill pad to help remove the heat or if you know what your doing, you can take the laptop apart, remove the heatsink and reapply new thermal paste with high grade artic silver which will allow the heatsink to remove from the processor and chipset.

What Girls Said 1

• Get a better case fan, possibly one that's water cooled. It might be harder to install but it disperses more heat and doesn't interfere with the RAM

That's assuming you have a desktop.

What Guys Said 17

• LMAO man it's going to get #hot the moment you do some gaming no matter how you want to cut it... well unless you play in 27F like I sometimes do where my computer only get-ups to 47C if that at all full load LOL.

But I'm guessing you mean the temps of the components overall, right? If so get fans or better fans ^_^

• Well, yeah, clean the vents, obviously!! Also, get a couple of little 5V fans at Microcenter, or online. Most boxes have places to put them, and pegs on the motherboard to run them. I have one in the front of my box, blowing in, and one in the back, pulling OUT, as well as the power supply fan, and the fan on the chip heat sink. NEVER, EVER comes close to overheating, even in summer with the windows open!!!
    Send me a personal message if you need a link or more help!!

• It's a desktop computer or a laptop?

If it's a desktop computer then you should probably check the computer fan which is present inside the CPU, see if that is malfunctioning or something and get that resolved.

• Is it actually overheating or are you just being paranoid because of your ignorance?

Gather data and figure out if it is something important to worry about.

You can use software like hardwareMonitor to monitor temperatures. You can use manufacture specs provided on their product's website to determine if temperatures are within tolerance.

• well might be a bit paranoid but it is rather hot (as in heats the desk and can't leave my hand there for too long). and its kinda a customised laptop sort of (lenovo where u could choose what kind of stuff u had like processor etc)

• No. "It feels hot to my hand" is not valid. Stop making it more difficult than it needs to be and get objective data.

If your computer isn't overheating and you just want it to be cooler for your comfort, then invest in a laptop stand. Or better yet, use a laptop stand, wired/wireless keyboard and mouse, and an external display to play at a distance from the laptop...

• seems like its gonna overheat and stuff up my laptop tho, and seems pretty hot is more like ow it hurts

• YOUR FAN IS NOT WORKING RIGHT YOU NEED TO FIX THAT

• Is it a desktop, lappy or some other "computer" device?

• There are many ways, but if you've had it for a while and have never cleaned out the heat sinks that the fan blows across to dissipate the heat, then it definitely can't hurt! By a can or two of compressed-air, and assuming your not to computer savvy, i. e. feel completely comfortable taking one apart and reassembling it (which I don't think you sound like you would be (no offense intended, but just a few things you said that I've learned over the years to be red-flags.) So you're best bet will be to blow the heck out of any and every entry/exit port (series of slits usually... really ANY holes you can find!) With at least one full 10 Oz can of compressed-air in a can (a. k. a. Ultra-Duster). It comes with a little red straw like a coffee stirrer. Stick it in every crack and crevice you can find, but mainly around the fan outputs. YES, you will not be sucking the dust out, but you WILL be dislodging it and moving it around - Some will be expelled by the fan (s)...2 cans is ideal

• ... That should be done (~once per 6 - 12 months) regardless of any software or memory/HDD virtual memory issues!

• Sound like the fan in your computer might need to be replaced. That usually want cause it to overheat when the fan go bad.

• get a can of compressed air and blow out the fan. just remember to to plow backward threw the opening. example shut down computer, from the side the hot air comes out of blow air in that side to clean out the dust and other things from heat sink

• check the temperatures with software. the cpu shouldn't get hotter than 70°C and the GPU not more than 90°C

make sure your fans are clean... if that's the case, then you can't do much apart from buying a better cooler

• There are two reasons why you computer heats...

One your SMPS needs more Watts or maybe your cooling fan needs to be changes or an extra one needs to be fitted...
    So do one or all of them...
    What is your system specifications...

• Get a bottle of dust spray and keep it cleaned out, And make sure your processors and everything are all up to date.
    But its gonna seem pretty hot no matter what you do.

• That's what the fans are for.

• Tell him to chill baha

Did u get it?

• Give it some ice cream

• Start task manager and see what programs are using up your cpu

• You should have GPU software that tells you how hot it is. If it really is overheating then take the side of the case off and maybe point a fan at it.

• lol that might actually work :P

• It's what I do. My GPU fans broke so I point a little desk fan at it while playing, saves me ~20C. Also, my power switch isn't connected to the button on the front meaning I have to reach inside my computer to turn it on, so my case is always open anyway. :)

• is it a laptop? there are cooler pads for it.