Adopted by white parents?

I was adopted around 1 month by an older couple (at that time they were 49 and 53) so I kind of think and act a little bit more mature than the people my age from what I've seen and heard but anyway I grew up in a predominantly white school so naturally I grew up "sounding white" or "booshie" and doing what other black people call "acting white" but now as a teenager when they find out that I'm adopted they always ask me if im adopted by white people and when they find out that I'm not they're shocked

why though? No one will give me an answer as to why people ask me that

after switching school's a few years ago I'm used to comments like that because majority of the people at my current school aren't focused on their future and only care about living in the moment and when they see people that aren't like that they automatically assume that they're stuck up without an reason

Most Helpful Guy

• The people who say things like "she's acting white," etc., are just reinforcing the stereotypes they have in their own heads. You're just being who you are, but for some people you don't act in a way that fits in the little box they want to put you in.

Most Helpful Girl

• because they're ignorant. ignore them and more on.

What Guys Said 4

• It seems that many people you're interacting with have limited enough experience in their lives that they cannot resolve the disconnect between reality and what they expect based on appearances alone. As you have more contact with people who've lived in multiple places with many different kinds of people, they should be less shocked to learn about your background.

• You can't really sound like a color

• I don't believe anyone can act a color

What Girls Said 2

• I don't know what's so shocking about not being or being adopted by white parents to those people? Why is skin color even still such a big deal in 2016 at all? One would assume that humankind has finally moved on to concern itself with more important issues but nope, apparently not. 😪

• Well who cares about people!