Are most americans really open and nice?

I have met very few americans in my life time, but the few i have met are very nice and outgoing. The latest guy i met was quite good with his words, he was good at making the convo going (pretty much no awkward pauses), he joked around, asked a lot of questions about me, complimented me and he just made me feel like i was a very interesting person.

I live in Norway and i have yet to meet a guy who acts like that. Culturally being so open and friendly qith strangers isn't really a thing unless you're wasted. I find it very attractive and i was wondering if most guys or/and girl in america acts like that.

Most Helpful Guy

• This tends to be more of a US Midwest and South thing. It still exists in other places but is less common. In the Midwest and South it's not too unusual to start talking to a complete stranger in the checkout line at a store, and keeping talking for a half hour or longer after they are checked out.

I recently opened a new bank account and it took forever because the manager and I were talking so much. I think it took over an hour to open the account. By the time we were done I knew where he lived, how many kids he had, what kind of landscaping he had at home, the kind of YouTube videos he liked, and a bunch of other stuff.

I've always heard that Brits were a LOT more reserved and private than Americans, but I've never heard that about Nordic countries.

Most Helpful Girl

• Here's my grandparents' experience with Americans: they're really warm and friendly on the surface. When my family was living in California, people would be very sweet to them, but they never included them in anything. It was a very lonely time for them all, according to my grandpa, aunt and mother.

What Guys Said 14

• Were you to come to the States, I think you'd find it hard to get a moment to yourself. Americans love accented English, especially European accented English.

When you speak of being open and friendly with strangers, I think you're talking about hospitality. I've visited a good amount of regions in the states and the northwest is still my favorite.

• Americans are really busy and in their own schedule, so appear like rude assholes. But, given the right setting, we can open up and be really friendly.

• Yin (you) and Yang (him) go well together :) Two yang (ie two stupid Americans), or two yin (reflective, sickly Europeans) repel each other.

• we are pretty open, especially compared to europeans, more specifically scandinavian countries for the most part. i remember living in italy and traveling a bit and people were shocked how talkative and open i was... and i'm a quiet and shy person. i would just start conversations with random people.

• I see what you mean - A lot of Scandinavians would seem reserved compared to Americans - Different cultures, personally I have no really preference for either sometimes I just like to be left to my own devices other times I don't mind talking.

• like any country there are always a few bad apples in the the bunch. i'm just glad you found and meet one of the good ones

• We're a melting pot. We have all sorts. Generally if you are nice to someone, they will be nice in return. You seem optimistic, so you were probably nice to him and you reaped what you sowed...

• he was nice cause he was trying to get laid , it shouldn't come as a surpirse, he's in a foreign country trying to get some... its like this everywhere

• I didn't get that impression at all, in addition he and his friend left 20 min later. He was only there for one day Anyway

• of course you didn't thats the beauty of it you're fascinated by the fact that a foreign person has an interest in you so you ignore all the other factors, he was having fun, in a new place and meetting new people , it was interesting for him its not just about americans everyone is the same.

• i dont think being an American has to do something with being nice and open. all the people in the world some are nice and open some are not.

• Some are some aren't we are just people

• Making sweeping generalizations like that is a tough and risky thing to do. My thoughts are that more Americans are nice than open. As always, it might depend on what you consider "nice" or "open" to mean.

• There's 400 million so it'd be hard to speak for that many other people

• well true... i know not everyone is super nice or outgoing. but culturally would you say it normal to be very open towards strangers?

• Yes but I work in a hotel so I'm just naturally great at interacting with people from different cultures but I'd say anywhere in the mid west in America are generally kind

• Nope

• they are just dumb.

What Girls Said 5

• It depends on where you are. Most of our small towns are very close minded and jdgemental, most of our big cities are just plain rude, and in between can be either a mix of both of filled with sweethearts. I've met more rude people living here than I have nice ones though

• Of course, some Americans are like what you described. However, there are many people in this country, so you're going to have your share of good and bad people just as you would anywhere else.

• No, they usually get on my nerves (there are a lot of young US tourists where I live). However, the older ones are usually very nice! And smart :) but I guess that's because they were educated in a different America :)

• maybe it's because he found you attractive :P

• Guys just don't talk nice for nothin. I think maybe it was his way of being nice because he just wants to talk to someone in a different country where most might be unfriendly or notoriously aloof.

• Depends on the state and that specific person's upbringing