Why do rumors start?

I've just had a rough day of finding out there has been a pretty sexual rumor going around about me at one of the big worksites in my city. The rumor itself is funny to anyone who actually knows me but what gets me is trying to find out the motive behind it. No one knows who started it or why so far, but just curious any opinions on why things like that happen.

-if you are curious enough to ask details I will answer, but I'm interested in a more broad range of suggestions.

What Guys Said 3

• Obviously, somebody knows. Somebody who put something out there knowing that it was not true since they had just make it up.
    Jealousy? Anger? Dislike? Maybe if I knew you and understood why it is funny, and what the significance of the rumor was I would be able to offer better suggestions.
    But it seems that somebody wishes to hurt your reputation.

• I'll just give basic info. I'm averagely attractive, active, friendly and work in a place I have to see the guys going to work every day. I walk or bike about 3 miles to work and back every day. I'm a known "good" girl, lost virginity very late, never been drunk or done drugs etc. The rumour that was started was that for a ride home I'd give a blowjob. So it is DEFINITELY not based on fact at all, as the only person who frequently gives me a ride is my 80 year old married neighbor.

• That rumor sounds like someone made it up thinking they were funny without really expecting people to believe it. Now I am not sure if people would actually believe that, or if they only repeat it to upset you without believing it.

• Sometimes by accident from misinformation other times on purpose for revenge or just for fun

• its possible that a guy or a girl who doesn't like you or hates you spread that rumor or its also possible that its a misinformation.

• -repeat-
      I'll just give basic info. I'm averagely attractive, active, friendly and work in a place I have to see the guys going to work every day. I walk or bike about 3 miles to work and back every day. I'm a known "good" girl, lost virginity very late, never been drunk or done drugs etc. The rumour that was started was that for a ride home I'd give a blowjob. So it is DEFINITELY not based on fact at all, as the only person who frequently gives me a ride is my 80 year old married neighbor.

• from what im getting is that your neighbor spread that rumor. are you sure that your neighbor is not a creep?

• or maybe someone know that your neighbor gives you a ride home and someone spread that rumor so everyone can make fun of you.

What Girls Said 0