Thoughts on LGBT characters in TV shows?

One of the shows I watch, once upon a time just introduced an LGBT couple. The couple is dorothy and Ruby. Ruby is still my favorite character and I don't care that she is bisexual. I just hope she isn't stuck in Oz with Dorothy because I want to see more of her. I think Mulan is also bisexual. I really don't mind it there are tons of LGBT people and couples in the real world. So really shows are just becoming more believable.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well statistically the percentage you find of gays, lesbians and bisexuals tend to be at the most liberal end of the scale 4% of the population, and that is all those groups combined and it includes those who identified as straight before going to prison so I wouldn't say proportionately there are a ton of LGBT couples in real life, but I take your point and for me personally I don't care about a characters sexuality as long as the show doesn't get all preachy about it. I don't think that Once upon a time has so it's all good.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's great! I haven't gotten there yet - I'm binging season 4 right now.

I think it's important that we see lgbt characters across a variety of shows whose character doesn't revolve around their sexuality. For too long, queen characters existed only as one dimensional side characters whose sexuality was central to their role in the show/movie. I'm glad we're now seeing many who are just ordinary people who happen to be lgbt. Like Aaron in the walking dead. I love his character! And Lexa/Clarke on The 100.

What Guys Said 7

• I have no objection to any LGBT character in any show, as long as they do not feel like they were shoehorned in just to make sure another box was checked on a list of demographics.
    I want a character to be gay because that is who they are, and not because the studio figured that the character had to be go so that the show appeared more inclusive.

• I don't mind them at all. I love Cam from Modern Family, he's gay, and his character is amazing... I mean, who doesn't love Cam? xD
    I like the fact that they don't have problems in having LGBT characters, though I do feel like sometimes it's kinda forced, like they want to be cool and modern and put an LGBT character because it's "trendy". Not every show needs to have an LGBT character, it's not a requirement.

• I don't really care as long as they are just as well written as the other characters.
    Its when one single defining characteristic defines a character who is so ungodly one dimensional compared to the other characters that bothers me.
    LGBT people are just people and have just as many things about them that defines them as anyone else and a portrayal on tv show portray that otherwise its a disservice to actual people like that

• Honestly it's good to see television is encompassing more real life topics such as LGBT issues, bullying, fat and skinny shaming etc... I remember a time when on tv it was taboo to even hint at or let alone mention at all on programs. I remember also people with handicaps and disabilities used to also be mocked on tv. I think it's about time reality was set in not just in the LGBT community but with other issues as well

• The issue is that most of these characters are shit and only exist for the novelty of being homosexual or whatever.

• i really don't care whether or not they're on tv. i get pissed the buttholes (bot pro and against) who make a big shit storm that shit like that is on tv

• I think less than 4% of the US population is LGBT. Therefore they should appear in less than 4% of TV shows.

• I just did the numbers, according to wikipedia 1.7% of the population is LGBT, so therefore 4% is too much, they should only show up in 1.7% of TV shows.

• Wouldn't it make more sense that they should make up x per cent of the characters in all shows and movies, rather than only be in x percent of shows?

• @Sara413 Thats what i was just thinking, and you're right. It makes much more sense.

What Girls Said 13

• i think it's a great thing to show because LGBT couples don't have much representation in tv shows and movies. but i think a lot of shows almost try too hard. like, in pretty little liars, when emily came out as a lesbian, suddenly there were just lesbian characters coming out of the woodwork lol but then again, i guess tv shows don't make any relationships very realistic haha

• I don't like it in children's programming. If it's an adult show then whatever but not if it's for kids.

• I know plenty of lgbt people in the real world, so I generally think people who think they "barely exist" have their head in the sand.

Most of the gay people I know dont talk about being gay all the time, though, like too many do on tv. It's just one other trait they have, like being left handed. I like the characters most who are great characters who happen to be gay.

• Really? Darn. I was assuming Ruby was (I haven't watched this season yet) but I would have thought she would end up being with Mulan.

A guilty pleasure I like to watch is a show called Degrassi and there's a lot of different types on that show. I personally like the diversity.

• That's what Shonda Rimes says as well. She makes shows that reflect the real world and the complexity of our human experience.

• Yeah it's subtly hinted at that Mulan play's for both team's lol. My thought's on LGBT character's are the same as if they were straight. It is what it is, the show must go on! 👌

• I only care when the writers make them over the top stereotypical personas.

• Hollywood trying to push an agenda

• I feel like lgbtq characters these days are shoehorned in to get more attention to a show that is failing.

• its just another character lol i watch Once Upon A Time but Ruby isn't ringin a bell...

• Hate it that's boring me

• Dont care as long as its not forced, if it fits with the plot and flow of the show then its fine...

• Like literally majority of people are non lgbt , I know lgbt have a lot of power in our society because they have money and powerful positions. But truly I can't relate to lgbt people so why would I watch something that has ton a of them in it?