Moving out without telling USPS?

So I wrote a letter to someone and I received it back.
It says "RETURN TO SENDER"
Not deliverable as addressed
unable to forward
I looked up what that means and it basically says that it means someone moved out without notifying USPS!
Ho w is that possible?
unless you're on a temporary move, where you move away for a short while. How can you not notify USPS!
if usps doesn't know where u are moved to.. how do they send letters to you?

Thanks, but everyone said you're suppossed to fill out a change of address form/card to let USPS know you're moving
so is it safe to say that the person who moved did so abruptly? its not a formal planned move?

Most Helpful Guy

• Not everyone puts in a forwarding address. Or maybe they just delay it. If they weren't expecting any mail except junk mail they might not have bothered. Maybe you can wait and try again later in case they just delayed doing it.

There is also a chance that they are intentionally hiding their whereabouts.

Also, there may be other reasons for it to get returned. Are you sure the address is right? Like have you sent to that address before?

• Thanks, but everyone said you're suppossed to fill out a change of address form/card to let USPS know you're moving

• Well you aren't "supposed" to do it in the sense that it's a law or anything. It's just a good idea. But if you really don't expect any important mail to go to that address then it probably won't hurt anything if you don't do it.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an abrupt move, but it's possible. They may have just forgot. A lot is going on during a move. It can be a very busy time. Or maybe they specifically wanted to hide where they were going.

I've moved several times without giving a forwarding address. I moved around a lot and didn't expect any mail to go to my old address. In some cases nobody knew my address in the first place.

Bottom line is that unless you get in contact with them somehow, or contact someone they know, then you may never know the reason.

Most Helpful Girl

• stop freaking out! just throw it away!

What Guys Said 1

• You should call and ask them

What Girls Said 1

• They still could've planned their moved in advance and notified like their bank or whatever and just not told anyone. Sometimes people just need a fresh start or don't have time to deal with usps