When do you think virtual reality will be like sword art online?

This was part of the question I put in for that contest thingy. Which gave me the idea to ask this. :D This doesn't have to be about virtual reality only being a video game thing. They could make it so people could do virtual reality chat rooms and see the person face to face through your head set.

• In 25 years
  • 55 years
  • 75 years
  • 100 years
  • 150 years
  • 200+
I don't mean the being trapped in the world like SAO. I just mean the being able to see things as if you were there physically.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it'll be a while before we get true 3d VR. Like all tech it comes down to getting size and price down to mass market levels.

The rendering power required probably needs some serious hardware today and will take quite a few iterations before it can be worn on a head and sold at a reasonably affordable price point.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not soon, we don't have the technology to intercept brain signals and decode them accurately. We'd need to be able intercept, decode and then put new signals into the brain for it to work like SAO and we'd also need to disable muscular movement as well during play. It may be possible but not for a long time.

What Guys Said 17

• Soon. I don't know the anime but it seems to be reading his neural impulses to let him control his character, as well as giving him tactile feedback.

Right now, you could probably play many games with a VR headset setup to function as mouselook, and using your keyboard/mouse or joypad to control it as you normally would.

• I don't think it will ever happen.

• In three years (wishful thinking)... I guess in about 25 years or so.

• Gosh that would be quite interesting that's for sure it would be interesting to enter a true virtual world like that.

• I just hope people don't become as stupid as Kirito.

• Kirito isn't stupid he was just a loner. The writer can't decide what level of reality he wants to be on.

• I like the idea of virtual reality and the immersion, but I wouldn't wanna be trapped in it, no matter how cool that sounds. Lol.
    It'd suck like hell if I were to die in real life if my character got airholed in a virtual reality.

• I don't mean that part of SAO. :P

• I hope hope most people would be smart enough not to kill themselves like that.

• That's why being a game developer is a dream job. Unfortunately, still a distant dream for me.

• I don't anything about that show, but making a multiplayer first person oculus rift game in unity 3D isn't the hardest thing in the in the world... It's still going to look like a pixelated cellphone at the end of a toilet paper tube though.

• That's why I posted the video, for anyone who doesn't know it. The scene I put shows when he first logs into the game.

• Most of that is doable... It's just some partial effects. Have you ever played bejeweled 3... There's your wurm hole animation righter there...

• That is a tough question, because we have essentially reached the limits of silicon computing since transistors are 14 nano-meters wide and can't seem to get much smaller due to quantum tunneling. Quantum computing isn't going to really be a thing for a while, though molecule computing does show promise to be able to surpass current gen tech.

• They have already been able to make 1 quantum computer so far. Though it's not 100% of what they are wanting but still it's the closest.

• But I do love Sword Art Online and wish that we could get as close to that as possible. VR is showing a lot of promise whether its the HTC Vive, Oculous Rift, Etc.

• Within 25 years is VERY reasonable considering each console gen now lasts for about 8-9 years and VR as of now is very good. Comparing now to the ps1/n64 era is like a totally different world, and VR is the way of the future regardless of nay Sayers.

• Let's hope not, those pervs will abuse the crap out of virtual reality lol

• maybe 50 years I guess?

• y'know what's going to fund the VR industry? sex.

• I think it could happen in 10 years to be completely honest

• You mean like a shit anime? It's already pretty shitty, so not far off.
    To be completely honest I actually don't think VR's gonna be very successful in the long run, it'll just be the gimmick for a few years before people realise how impractical it is. I mean have you seen the size of an average English house?

• virtual reality is really a interesting thing. and this sword art online is nothing new, there's a very old cartoon name jhonny quest it used to aired on cartoon network in 90's and that cartoon presented the idea of virtual rality like this sword art online.

• Hopefully never. because that would mean that you'd have to have actual superhuman physique to be able to play games like Halo or crackdown 2 at all.

• No you wouldn't because you would control the game mentally. So you wouldn't need to be strong at all.

• Oh. Well I still have a bad feeling about it, although I don't know why.

• My totally uneducated guess is even less than 25 years. I hope it's also less than 25 years when 3d printers will become affordable for all

What Girls Said 6

• I think it's coming soon. The biggest hangup is going to be working out how to not screw up people's eyesight, middle ear, or brain. Like can you imagine the motion sickness?

• Where they hold us all captive and threaten to fry our brains? Let's hope not. It's coming soon thanks to PlayStation and the helmet is surprisingly cheaper than a console. I'd like to meet a cutie like Kirito.

• As soon as possible I hope, I would love that :D

• I love this question!!! I would give it 55 years at Max! I love Sao!

• I have no idea, maybe 30-50 more years

• I hope never