Do any other non Caucasians go through this?

I am Asian and no matter how close or friendly I get with Caucasians, the ones I have met at least always seem to make me feel inferior - whether it's standing in front of me in a group, a laugh etc. I in fact I had a thing with a Caucasian guy and even though we loved to joke around, he would say things like "you're hairy for an Asian" "you're still a mongoloid" jokingly and yes we did joke around a lot. We worked together and I called him over to this group of Caucasian men and myself and he jokingly said to the other business men "you have chosen the wrong girl" and they all laughed. I realise it's a joke but sometimes hurts. Does anyone else non Caucasian go through this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Calling somebody a mongoloid is not a joke, it's a plain racist comment. There's nothing funny about it. My girlfriend comes from South Korea and I would never say that to her.

What Guys Said 9

• Some people find that shock or degrading type of humor funny. I personally find it boring or uninteresting. I would likely ignore it or give a 'I'm bored' fake smile. I doubt he meant it in an offensive way though. He probably thought that the humor would impress you. A lot of people use humor to fit in or bond. It sounds like the type of humor he thinks would impress you is that shock factor type of humor.

• Maybe you should stop being a doormat and stand up for yourself. People like you are eaten by society.

• d00d you need new friends

• I think its wrong for someone to make you feel inferior, all races and creeds are equal and just as worthy and awesome as the other.

• That's terrible! I'm sorry to hear that you were treated that way.

• thats nothing to them being caucasians thats just them being dicks :(

• you shouldn't feel inferior in the first place.

• hang around with more people from your race

• It is amusing how they think. If they choose to be Assholes... let them be. Why care about someone with a foolish superiority complex?

What Girls Said 8

• I'm Caucasian and my boyfriend is Asian. We have a lot of white friends from high school that we still hang out with pretty often and I've never heard anyone from that group, or elsewhere really, make racist comments like the ones you mentioned.

Sounds like you're dealing with more of an issue regarding a bad crowd.

• Thanks. Do you think even in "joking" sense that saying what he said, is pretty rude?

• err it probably depends on how well you two know each other, how jokey of a person he is, the context in which he said it, etc..

Like sometimes I'll jokingly comment to my boyfriend that he's a 'bad Asian' or a total banana (yellow on the outside, white on the inside) if he chooses to eat with a fork versus chopsticks. Likewise, he'll call me a dumb blonde and things like that.
      He's fine with those sorts of things, but I remember once I mentioned how I'd read online that having a preference for Asians (like myself) is termed having 'yellow fever'. Which he said is not cool.

So yeah... depends on the circumstances regarding the guy who said those things to you, as well as your own comfort level with it.

• I'm technically caucasian but not white and nah I haven't really been picked on, i just had people tell me you have Arab eyebrows or Arab Eyes or Arab Hair lol never offended me tbh.
    You should speak up if it annoys you!

• They probably do.

• That's taking it too far, but people will only treat you the way you allow them to. If the things that they say and do bother you, then call them on it. Let them know that's it's not cool. By you laughing and accepting it, you're encouraging it.

• who the hell says that? what kind of people are you hanging out with, you need to find a new crush and a new coworker friends.

• My advice is.. don't get too casual with them. They will tend to make more lurid and racist jokes and think you're ok with it.

• You like him enough to keep quiet? esp on the racial jokes?

• nope. I don't feel inferior to anyone.