Do you think hijabs/burkas etc are empowering or sexist?

• Empowering
  • Sexist

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 26

• Neither. by the way Hijabs and Burkas are different. For example I am not into the Burka at all and I find it understandable to ban specially in Europe and western countries in general. Even in my own country that Is Arab and Muslim I support the ban of the Niqab because the Qur'an is talking about Hijab and not Niqab, it's a tradition from the Arabian peninsula and it should stay there.
    Forcing women on the other hand, to remove the Hijab is as regressive and oppressive as forcing women to wear them. What is empowering is to let women CHOOSE what to wear and not to wear.

• I know they're different 🙂 There's other head dresses to but the most popular are burkas and hijabs

• @rileypantera except that it doesn't in happen in like the vast majority of Muslim countries, maybe under taliban but I lived in Saudi Arabia and didn't wear it, I'm still alive.

• Well then I'm not talking about you.

• Neither..
    Not empowering because I fail to see how being pressured to cover your body and save it for one man only would result in anyone feeling more confident or liberated to do as they wish.

Not sexist because I guess it still doesn't manage to say that men are superior. The point of both hijabs/burkas is supposedly to remain modest. Or so some women who wear them have told me so... if they have no issue with it, I'm in no position to have one either. Just as much as they do to disapprove of how much skin girls of the western culture show, so I've just decided to agree to disagree. 👌

• it does suggest are superior in the fact that it is dress mandated by men right?

like if in your culture women HAD to wear a specific article of clothing as dictated by men wouldn't that be sexist

• @madhatters4 well.. yeah, it's implied from a westerners point of view. Definitely in how many interpret it to be and support that in it's practice. Then again, you could argue that it's a 'religion of equality/peace' in actual scripture and the sexism is a matter of getting lost in translation so it's hard to know where to draw the line.

• if it is dictated how women dress by scripture or government or otherwise i just don't see how that's not sexist. if women are essentially expected to dress a way dictated by men it's sexist. now the women in those places may be ok wearing what they wear but that doesn't change the fact that it's a sexist institution

• as long as it's a choice then it's empowering. i mean it's kinda hot to wear a hijab and the fact that someone is committed to do it regardless the heat and what society thinks of her, salute. In a society that embraces uncovering, how can it be oppressive if one's decided to cover up?

now niqab is a little different. I personally don't think it suits the west for safety reasons. but referring to your question, my answer for niqab is the same as hijab, if it's by choice then it's empowering for sure. however if someone forces her to wear it, then it's sexist.
    it's not about the hijab or niqab itself, it's about whether she chose it or she's oppressed to do it.

• As a Muslim woman I often feel like I need to speak out against the detrimental issue of the media using the hijab as a synonym for sexism.

The hijab itself is not sexist. It's sexist when women are forced into the hijab. Similarly it's sexist when women are forced out ofthe hijab like has happened in France. It's not about hijab. Sexism is in coercion. It would be sexist if a man forced a woman to wear a mini skirt, but that wouldn't make mini skirts sexist.

Read this : fizzerblack.wordpress.com/.../

• France hasn't banned hijabs, they only banned burkas. These are two very different things and shouldn't be confused. Hijabs are perfectly legal to wear in France (as in all other European countries).

• Well, you obviously don't know anything about Saudi Arabia. Please go there and ask some random people if they support homosexuality and equal rights for women. THEN we can talk again.

It infringes on my right to look into people's eyes and see who I'm talking to. I didn't say ANYTHING about privacy. I sent PUBLIC PLACES about 5000 times. Why do you even argue with me if you don't read what I write?

And I'm going to say this one last time: I don't care whether you are a woman, or a man or a cat or a potato plant or if you're white or black or brown or yellow or green or blue I don't want ANYONE to wear a burqa. I don't care if you're the most machoish guy on the planet or the most girly girlish girl, I'm against the burqa in ALL ALL ALL cases. Got it now?
      I already told you the Koran doesn't say anything about the burqa, so don't tell me it has anything to do with the muslim faith. Go and read your Koran.

• @BlueCoyote You're a racist and a sexist now?

Why do you care so much about the rights of homosexuals if you don't care about the rights of women? You're obviously delusional. The burka is ultimately a Muslim women thing and by saying you have a problem with it is a restriction on the freedom of Muslim women.

I've been to Saudi. I lived there for years.

Also, it doesn't matter if the burka is in the Quran or not. It doesn't matter if it's religion or culture. If someone wants to wear it they should be allowed to wear it. Stop forcing your values onto others.

Another thing is you don't have a right to look someone in the eye lol. Do you have a problem with people that wear sunglasses? Your logic is like if I said " I want all men to go shirtless because I can't talk to someone unless I can see that they have a chest".

It's humiliating to unclothe a person. It's dehumanizing to distance someone from thier community.

• Sexist to the extreme!

• I can see how they can be both.
    In a world where you're constantly judged by your looks be everyone around you, it can be nice to fly under the radar for a while.

Though where there's any kind of obligation to wear it, legal or otherwise, it is oppressive

• Don't get me wrong "flying under the radar" is not a good or permanent solution

• @7André7 not caring is not in our DNA. We're a social species, conformity is our biology

• I agree, but this doesn't mean we should care about a perfect stranger's opinion, we should evaluate opinions, the people that we love/care about are the ones we should care (concerning their opinions).
      Luckily we achieved the ability to overcome our DNA pressures..

• If she is forced to wear it it's sexist, if she's choosing to on her own it's not empowering exactly but she did get to make a choice for herself so that's good at least.

• Hijabs and Burkas are worn by women to cover and hide their beauty from men or women who might look. You can say that it is both. It is sexist in a situation when a family forces a women to wear it because they don't want men looking at her. They are forcing her to wear it because she's a women and something to be looked it, and nothing else.

It can be empowering because some women feel confident wearing it outside in westerns countries, where some people think that it is oppression.

• I'm against Burka & Niqab ✋🏼 Hijab better than the first two at least. I used to wear Burka until I realized I was brainwashed

• it depends on the woman. i know women who feel empowered by it, and others who abhor it and see it as a form of oppression.

• Neither, to me.

• hijabs are empowering, burkas are sexist if they aren't willing

• I think they're just as offensive to men as they are to women. They say it like a protection so that women don't get raped and men don't have to get aroused because that's "sin"

if you receive uncontrollable sexual urges from just seeing the shape of a woman, or hair, you need help. "Oh my fucking Allah! Legs! I can't help but feel so rapey at the sight of legs!!! Aaaaah the horror of demons infecting my mind!!!"

Like srsly what the fuck people😒

• honestly i dont see why itd be either one. i think itd be comfy, but hot. im not sure if im a feminist but i can see how they would think its oppressive. im not gonna wear one either, but i can see how it could be empowering too

• They were originally made to protect hair from sand, but when Islam appeared, they were converted in something else.

• It's their problem lol. I feel like the woman is less "free" to do what she wants but she chose it right? Not my business.

• I don t give a fuck.
    depends on the person and the reason she wears it.

• Definitely sexist.

• I think they're sexist and represent nothing but oppression.

• I think they are impractical in this society

• I imagine freedom from being seen as a sexual object probably is empowering.

• Sexist? lol how is it sexist?

• Both

• When they first started wearing them? Empowering. In present day? Sexist.

• Sexist

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 19

• I think they are both very sexist - BUT not in the way you're thinking. Hijab, Burka and Niqab (etc.) are all very sexist towards men. Yes, you read that correctly ;-). It's a fascinating aspect about the muslim religion and the Koran that is usually overlooked but in this particular topic, the Koran is actually very sexist towards men. Here's why: think about it... the Koran explains the reason for women to wear a hijab to be that they have to cover their beauty from the lusting eyes of men. In other words: the way the Koran views me as a guy is basically as some kind of animal on steroids. If I see ANY pretty woman on the street, I will immediately want to steal her from her boyfriend and fuck her. In the view of the Koran, men are like brainless idiots who can only drool and jerk off over every woman they see in public. It's a very primitive opinion the muslim religion has of men (which is VERY ironic since all this stuff was invented by men in the first place). Of course reality is not like that. I see pretty women on the street all the time and it doesn't make me pull them in a dark alley and rape them. I would just think "oh she's pretty" and go my way. In most cases I forget about it again 5 minutes later.

Now in the case of women I would say that the burka/niqab are very sexist because of their discriminatory nature but the hijab isn't. However, it can be an instance of sexism if a husband or father tries to force his wife/daughter to wear a hijab. This however, is not the fault of the hijab itself.
    I'm from western Europe and I don't mind women wearing hijabs. I think they look prettier without it but it's not something that bothers me. In the case of burkas and niqabs it does bother me. Even if you forget about the sexism for a moment, it's just not our culture. In Europe and in north America, it's our culture to show our faces to each other. If muslims come and want to live here, I believe they should be willing to integrate themselves to some degree. This doesn't mean you have to give up all your beliefs or ways of acting but you have to be willing to adjust to your guest culture.

• Niqab and burqa are a sexist form of oppression imposed by patriarchal men onto women. These can be seen in Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan. The former is also imposed by Daesh and the later is imposed by the Taliban.

The hijab is more about the woman closing herself off from men and remaining chaste. In the West it is usually a conscious choice women make however in Iran it is mandatory and groups like the Muslim Brotherhood also impose it. I oppose the hijab since to me it's a representation of a woman that's been brainwashed by her religion to believe that a woman should remain a virgin until marriage. I oppose this type of behaviour regardless of which religion preaches it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmhFiubxk3A

• Defiantly not empowering but we are led to believe that because how do you go about changing the thinking of millions maybe billions of people. Well you don't, you just find ways to change it's meaning

1. Its disrespectful to people looking at you as if they are savages and she needs covering
    2. She constantly feels paranoia and over time you become use to a certain way. She feels trapped in her own self conditioning and is eventually unware of it. You start hearing things like, its my choice... but rather its conditioning to one day have it become your choice
    3. Direct gender inferiority as guys can walk around free as a bird while she can't

• Its only empowering if she's able to confidently walk in both. Cover and not covered

• i don't know what would be empowering about mandated dress by order of men.

• Sexist when it's worn by Muslim women, "empowering" when it's worn by Muslim feminists trying to prove a point.

• It's sexist but cause the Quran was written by sexists, even women legitimate it through being religious.

• How u came to know that Quran is written by sexists... have u ever read about it in Quran

• @Talha0889 no of course it doesn´t state in Quran nor in the Bible "this is a work of sexism" xD but in both books, women have less rights than men and are clearly subordinated to men. i´d argue that the Quran is "worse" cause there are more cases in which is it deemed "ok" to misstreat or even kill a woman. i´m not saying that the bible is "good" in that aspect by any means. just not as bad.

• oh and yeah i have read in both unlike most people who actually believe in one of those steaming shitpiles.

• Form of control over the woman. So I'd lean towards sexist. But I imagine it's also freeing, because those woman will most likely not feel self conscious about their appearance. Which is a huge issue for most women

• They are sexist.

• I suppose that depends on your point of view on the matter.

• Lol what's your pov

• I don't have one, I'm not knowable enough on the subject to say either way all I can say though is that certain area's in the middle east depending on how traditional they are. Do enforce wearing the head cloth and the less traditional ones don't, from what I've read.

• I thought Hijabs and Burka's were optional. Aren't they?

• So optional that Muslim men have been known to throw acid in the faces of women because their faces were not covered.
      So, yes, optional.
      You need to get out more.

• I think that they are part of an oppressive culture of extreme misogyny.

• sexist, they can be part of a tradition , a religion or whatever, but a burqa is degradating and therefore sexist. After all even slavery was part of a culture, yet it's still racist as hell.

• Burqas are clearly sexist. And the Hijab originates in Judaism it's also used in many Christian denominations, but it clearly has sexist undertones of keeping women in line.

• I think neither and surely not empowering

• i think neither to be fair

• Neither. They're apart of a religion and a culture.

• Just silly and extreme if ur not muslim

• Empowering! Only Western Christian patriarchy is sexist/oppressive/etc! Behead those who think Islam is sexist!

• Neither...