Realistically, at what age do you feel a human child could actually be able to fend for itself?

I'm not talking work a 9-5 job and pay bills because you don't need that in terms of survival. I'm talking hunt, build shelter, farm, etc. on a primal level.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say somewhere between 12 to 14. Although even an adult needs other humans around. A child of around 12 properly trained though should be more or less self sufficient as most adults. Maybe even more so, as they wouldn't be as slowed down by past injuries.

Most Helpful Girl

• 11... I've seen some tough kids

• Thanks for MHO

What Guys Said 11

• the simplest version of all those things can be learned, and have down fairly well, by 13 or 14.
    That said, 95% of adults don't have those skills.

Hey, if interested, look up a guy called "primitive technologies" on youtube. dude is awesome! watching him build the shelters and stuff he makes, all on site, with tools he makes, is really cool!

• static.tvtropes.org/.../rsz_mr_burns_evil_7487.gif
    Why teach him to build shelters and farming when you can give him an AK-74 and show him how to use it in less than a day.

• It's next to impossible to survive in the wild alone indefinately, even for a full grown man equipped with the tools and education for survival. The goal is to pull your own weight most of the time, and pick up the slack when your family is unable. We always have to depend on each other.

• Human CHILD? On a primal level, I would say the youngest would be between 12-15. Even 12 might be a little too young.

• 13 seems like a reasonable age. That's what the Jews use.

• Age 13 should do it, I'd feel.

• People here are saying a child could hunt. Hunt what? How can a child survive on it's own? Let's be real, 15 ~ 16 minimum.

• They have hunting courses for kids. In fact, they've had them for a while.

• Although I listed hunting, you can also fish which I've seen really young kids do even sans fishing pole, and you could farm. Beyond that, a lot of kids in tribes have been taught by their parents to hunt, and I'm talking in the traditional bow and arrow, spear, rock, rope, sort of way, not with a gun.

• 15 years old

• 9 years old

• Many cultures have around 13 as becoming a man. So, 13.

• there's 9 year old's surviving on there own

What Girls Said 10

• Anywhere from ages 8-11.

• Like 10 if she smart!

• Depends on the kid. I was already mature by the age of 8/9.

• 10 at the least, and this is only if they've been taught their entire lives to do so.

• Depending on the child, between 12 and 15.

• 10 if trained from early age.

• As @SnowHearth said, maybe around 10 years old.

• 12 to 16, we at that time are little adults

• For me I could at 13. I'm 14 now and I want to

• All depends on how the child was brought up...