Ever been a victim of catfishing?

I once had a friend make up a girl online and he told me she was his friend and needed some people to talk to and might be moving near us soon. So I'm like 'sure'. But then the girl adds me and its so obviously a fake profile. Me being nice I pretended not to know... for like a year... whilst this character kept trying to set me up with the guy. I thought he'd get the hint/get bored but he didn't... and it got pretty dark. In the end I cut all contact with the character and with him so he would know I was onto him. Only to find out a year later he'd used this character in other ways on other girls with far darker outcomes. Needless to say it still gives me the megacreeps. But I guess I had a lucky escape.

Have u ever been catfished? Or anyone you know? Why were they doing it? Did u find out who they were and what was the outcome of everything? Or have you yourself ever catfished anyone?

Most Helpful Guy

• hmm i dont think so.

oh wait yeah totally, but it was a d00d

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah! And they still think I don't know, I don't really talk to them anymore though but he was my "best friend" via internet talked everyday and such, I only started to realize he was cat fishing when I saw the real profile and one day he was like 'my real name is _____" as if it wasn't a big deal but before he said that his username changed to the real persons name, and constantly using his pictures however at the beginning the pictures didn't resemble the profile he was using currently.. blah blah blah he was just strange. We texted and what not however refused to speak on the phone

What Guys Said 20

• Got in an online relationship which lasted for two years, and towards the beginning I was very paranoid about the possibility since I had never done anything remotely like that before... but she was completely legitimate. Intern doctor. Spent countless hours video chatting. Sent a surprise birthday gift to her at the hospital last fall and she posted a picture to Facebook with it.

Things ended recently. Helped her get accepted for a one-month internship to a medical school here and by some miracle she got accepted, but they denied her a visa because she's Syrian and couldn't prove to the consular officer's satisfaction that she would go back to her school in Turkey at the end of it (evidently graduating this summer at the cost of derailing her entire career wasn't strong enough reason for her to go back). Spent over a month scrambling around looking for realistic alternatives but found none... we never even got to meet in person. It was by mutual agreement that we stopped talking just a week ago and I'm missing her terribly. Tempted as all hell to fly over and meet her but been told in no uncertain terms my (ignorant and rabidly islamophobic but otherwise well-meaning) family will disown me if I did.

• No, I don't allow anyone to get close to me on-line unless I've met them in person.

• If I have and knew, I wouldn't reveal it. That would be a tactical mistake.

There could be lots of reasons why someone would do it, and one should be fearful, but also reasonable about it. Reasons could be anything including: being a stalker; thrill-seeker (can get away with it); rapist or anything that is considered too taboo and ends up going underground; having trust, privacy, or one-on-one issues; hard to know who you can trust these days with all the espionage that goes on as there are agents, double agents, triple agents, agents for or against governments, agents for or against corporations, illuminati are popping up all over the place, almost everyone has an agenda. Anyone you trust can stab you in the back the moment you turn away...

• When I was 12 but it didn't effect me at all she needed up being a nice girl

• Yes my 1st girlfriend. I was young and naive and was really unaware of the term. she first posed as her older sister, then eventually used a picture of her cousin. the last was a picture of a model but I was smarter than that. did I love her? yes at first but the lies coupled with the fake stories of her being raped became too much. I got tired at at that point and left.

• I have never been in a situation to be catfished and never would. It's just cruel.

• well kind of. she had a profile pic on a dating site that made her look decent and normal. irl she was half as attractive and fat on to. does that count?

• I hate the idea of catfishing. A gay old man could catfish as a sexy woman in her 20s to a super young teen.
    Non-direct communication requires good trust people won't do this, but keep their eyes open for possibilities at the same time.

• Yup, many times. I've been catfished more times than not.

• I would guess so. But I don't know what they really get out of it. It seems like a mental issue that they have.

• I was catfished by sandplanet and animedreama on here, but otherwise I've never been.

• I'm a bit of a pragmatist that way... everyone is always fake until I decide otherwise. So, no I've not been catfished.

• i have. Several times in fact

• I got cheated out of 10k in RS back in 06.

• I'm too smart for that.

• yes. i met up with the girl anyways. nothing but a fat brat

• yes the guy in my cover photo ain't me

• Yeah I have been catfish like 10 times

• Twice yes. Never trust a southern school teacher.

• Nope. Took a class in writing and common gender differences. Really paid off in that regard.

What Girls Said 13

• I sort have did it once to myself as a teenager. A bunch of girls contastly would pick on me saying no guy wants me, no would ever like me, and would torment me everyday. In desperation to make it stop, because I cried myself to sleep every night, I made a fake boyfriend. It worked but the girls always found something to pick on me about and eventually I got tired of it and felt like I was pathetic. I got rid of him and just dealt with the bully girls.

• Yes, It almost pulled me into the lake. They are seriously fucking strong! Plus their scales hurt if you pick them up.
    farm8.static.flickr.com/.../...9115_a5dea3e165.jpg

• Someone stole my pictures twice before and was catfishing people. Once was on nexopia, that was before facebook was a thing haha I found out because someone I knew at work confronted me about being a bitch to them. I guess they sent "me" and message and this asshole catfish decides to be a cunt. I had the profile deleted but it's creepy knowing they prob just go to other sites with your pictures. Another time I found other me on Facebook, I messaged them (shouldn't have) and they stripped the profile before I could get it deleted.

I have a kid and I used to be on a website called babygaga, I would post tons of pictures of my daughter on there and then I ended up finding out some wacko in UK was using her pictures on another baby/mom forum. It was creepy, I was reading all her posts and she had a birth story in realistic detail, so many topics about my daughter and fake stories about her going to the hospital and she did this for years before her friends on that site got suspicious and eventually found me. Now I rarely post pics of my kid online. I do share some, but I'm a lot more private now.

And last, I once stole someone's pictures and catfished. This is gonna sound retarded but I when I was 16 I was obsessed with a website called vampire freaks. I hated the emos on there! The website had "cults" which are sub forums that users make themselves. I made a fake emo boy profile and stole some emo kids pics from MySpace. I befriended the admin of the top emo cult and got her to make me an admin, then I deleted all there members and everything off the page. Hahah and I wasn't the only one. It was me and a group of internet friends. We all did it with various cults on the site that were the most popular and we had D day where we deleted them all at once. I did dumb thing as a teen online, oh lord.

• I was 12 years old at the time and a random number text me. I am not even sure who this person was and every time I asked who it was, they dodged the question but they said they knew some of my friends which was a complete lie. I never even got their name. They started telling me they seen me at such and such a place and everything. I was so creeped out. I used the excuse I used all my pre pay credit up (Ireland and Uk Mobiles) and they used to buy me twenty euros worth and have my phone company add it to my phone. The texts were non stop from early morning until I went to school, came home and went to bed. They just knew a lot about me without me even telling them. I told my parents in the end because I was so scared. We threatened them with the police but they kept texting so I told them I was having their number traced and still didn't care. I ended up having to get a new number. My friends were freaking out too, they never gave my number out to anyone without asking me first and I didn't have a large group of friends at that time. It still bothers me I never found out who it was. From the texts I just knew it was someone a bit older. This whole ordeal went on for about 4 -5 months. I was so curious to find out who it was but as time went by I was getting so paranoid. Catfished? More like stalked.

• I think he or she is one of your friend

• @Rucola None of my friends had allowances, how were they paying for my mobile credit all the time. I used that up within a few days and the person was buying me more.

• I've catfished a "friend" of mine because she would make up stories about guys hitting on her and I wanted to prove that she's full of shit. And she is indeed. I can't see why she's so desperate, she's young ffs!

• Haha I once had a 'friend' like that too but she would hit on people I liked too. Like for no reason other than she found out I liked them. Plus she never stopped bragging about stuff... usually totally made up stuff or just overestimated. Needless to say I got fed up of that shit and showed her the door. But it annoyed me how people couldn't see what a fake she was. So I can understand the drive u had to expose your 'friend'.

• Haha xD yeh I mean I can see how it would grate on your nerves after a while. I think I would have just left the room everytime she mentioned hot men hitting on her haha. I used to do that with mine, just like change the subject or pretend I was on the phone every time she started talking crap.

• I wish I could. She's a pain in the butt really.

• i wasn't catfished but this one time i catfished my older cousin.
    when we were younger she used to like messing with her friends by making fake accounts and flirting with them just for the hell of it. well i watched how she made the profiles, how she got the pictures and so on and then i did that to her! i was like 11 so she didn't suspect a thing, just saw that a cute guy added her and i even named him her favorite guy name. said lets meet up, and she actually went! later she messaged "him" asking why he didn't show up. i was like well you were taking too long. she was like ugh my friend was just taking forever. and then she told me the story! she was like i was going to meet up with this really cute guy but my friend was taking forever so he left! i was trying to keep a straight face aha i stopped messaging her i felt kind of bad, and then told her it was me a few months later. she wasn't mad

• yeah who hasn't!

• I've had my picture stolen by someone pretending to be me before.

• No it has never happened.

• I love catfish my crushes but i hate the reality :( they dont like me they dont even care me

• Yes. It was To Catch a Predator type stuff. He should be castrated with an axe and then imprisoned.

• Yes I believe I was

• yes! i was on omegle once and this really interesting guy i was chatting with convinced me that he had a 10" dick and sent me pics to prove it, i sent him pics back and we exchanged nudes then he said brb and disconnected when i asked him for a face pic. i reverse google image searched his dick pics and turned out they belonged to this pornstar called chris diamond ! who is not attractive at all facially which is probably why he left. i was obsessing over his dick and abs but turns out i was being catfished :(

• man i feel your pain. i wasn't exactly catfished but i talked to this guy and he sent me a dick picture, it was like 10-11 inches as well, i was like in love with the picture aha but then i showed my friend and she said you can find that picture on google! because some guy sent her the same one a long time ago. i was like oh woooooow. can you imagine how small these guys must really be to feel the need to do all that

• @KRIEL55 ikr, i was telling my friend "no what kind of guy would catfish a dick? that just doesn't happen" and turns out it did :'(