Southern Californians: "Imagine America without Los Angeles" What do you plan on doing when the big Earthquake hits on the San Andreas?

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/what-will-really-happen-california-when-san-andreas-unleashes-big-one-180955432/?no-ist

Read that article. It explains that the movie San Andreas overdoes the San Andreas Fault line won't produce that bad an earthquake, but that doesn't mean a big one isn't coming.

It could happen any day now. Imagine America without Los Angeles

Most Helpful Girl

• Bla, bla. I mean, they've been singing this same song of woe and destruction at least since my daddy came up here from Mexico in the '60's. What else is new? Lol.

I mean... I suppose we could live our lives in irrational fear, sure.
    Or we can just have an intelligent disaster plan, accept that the cool things in life involve risk, and... live life.

Besides -- We are hardly the type to just skip town, even if some worst-case scenario *does* come to pass.

My husband and I are both street kids from the wrong side of the tracks, so, we can take care of ourselves and our kids.

And, remember, we're the same people who drove from Houston INTO New Orleans when Katrina hit, to do what we could to help.
    In some crazy disaster scenario here, we'd do the same thing. At this point we have more than enough resources to go at least a year or two without working, so, we'd just put ourselves full-time to the task of helping to rebuild whatever is destroyed.

In fact, even if we're living somewhere else in the world and this happens, we'll totally drop everything to come back and pitch in where we can. This is home, and it always will be, wherever we may go.

• Except your home has a drought and we know WAY ahead of time what's about to go down

These casualties r expected to go higher than most natural disasters in our history. Property damage, fires, permanent damage?

4,000 at least, according to later estimations?

• tell me what's really gud

Most Helpful Guy

• Earthquake or no, LA is already done.
    Its a modern city of 4 million people in the mojave desert.
    The fact is that the water crisis is just going to get worse and worse. Desalinization won't work because you'd have to have plants from there to San Diego.
    Essentially, in our lifetimes you are going to see that L. A will be the worlds largest ghost town.
    4 million used to live here and now its a ghost town

• Lol more than 4 million, you're forgetting outside of the city, too!

• Its not going to do that, it will just be a migration.

• Which will suck. Overpopulation, and all.

What Girls Said 9

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 9

• Really in fairness all I know LA for is the entertainment industry - There might be a gap for a while in TV and Movies - Obviously there would be a huge human cost - To a complete outsider (Irish) it could really be any city while I would be sad for the human cost, would I miss it more than any other city, I don't think so.

• I am very worried about that. I live in los angeles. In fact i read an an article similar to that one a few years ago. I tnink it was around 1976 or 1977. They predicted that there was an 80 to a 95% chance that within 7 to 10 years a big earthquake off the San Andreas Fault would sink California.

• And now with more accurate technology, we know that it's growing closer and closer

I think the longer it waits the more it builds up pressure...

• Ok. I can see you believe what you want to believe. All i can say is people survive earthquakes all the time. We will be fine. Thank you for your concern

• Oh yeah I'm not sayin all of Los Angeles' population will go down! Just 4,000 or so!

• They would prob move to FL

• LA is one of the best cities. The beaches, the girls, and Hollywood. Without LA, there will be less movies and music artists.

• …, the drought, the earthquakes

Lol that place doesn't have long bro

• Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Spokane, Eugene, and Bellingham and the major cities. Depends. Almost 60 people died in 1980 from Mount St. Helens. There has been massive forest fires that destroyed many homes.

• Uh huh!

The estimates are coming out with at least 4,000 people dying from this Earthquake! Permanent damage, even WORSE water quality, etc.!

• Sit back and watch it on tv because I will be over 1500 miles away

• the fault lines is where all the water came from

• Omg how have we not seen this before?

• dude visual lol 15 years can't admit when they don't know something lol

• I know every single thing that was taught to me by my teachers, scholars, research, etc.

I don't need to take time out of my day to show you PROOF that you're wrong. You can think what you want. I apparently have no control over that

• I can't imagine because L. A. Really really important for me.

• I'm sorry, Casstiel! But luckily you're an angel so just go on and fly away right there!

• everyone will cry becuz it's LA :(

• If Kenye West slides into the ocean with all the Kartrashians it's kind of a wash no?

• What about all the movie stars we'll be missing?

• Earth would die! Now pass the rangoons please.