Should people cough on their hands or aim away?

I much rather they just redirect their cough onto the floor away from people or into their elbow.

Coughing on your hand seems like the least hygienic place to do it. your hands touch everything and it'll be there all day to spread germs. I'd say this is the most common flu spread

What Girls Said 1

• When at home I cough into my hands but usually wash soon after.

I worked in a supermarket cafe for 7 years and it taught me to cough into my shoulder, and to clean my hands between coughing, touching hair, scratching, touching money, switching between tasks (like potwash to serving), etc.

Even so, I still had people complain. My favourite was a woman demanded a refund on her cake because there was a hair in her cake. I was senior member of staff and took great joy in telling her it was her own hair. See - she was blonde and everyone serving was brunette but the secret was I watched her pull her own hair out and put it in the food.

Just a message - if you find a hair, don't assume it's the chefs. It's probably yours.

What Guys Said 2

• Experiments have shown that coughing in your hand is completely pointless. The particles that you cough out are way too small to stick to your hand and they fly right through the tiny cracks between your fingers. You can just as well cough the person in the face. An elbow doesn't really work either plus it looks kind of stupid. So the most effective method is probably indeed to cough in a different direction. However, this might not always be possible. If you stand in a crowded tram or subway, you have to make do with what you have... which would probably be your hand or your elbow.

• Cough on their shirt.