Why are there so many earthquakes happening around the world?

Like its just freaking me out, they keep saying the number of earthquakes will keep increasing etc etc and reading other stuff about it, people keep claiming its the end of the world too...

And please don't say its the ends of time I can't really take that cause my anxiety run through me like hell...

Most Helpful Guy

• I am signed up for USGS notifications of all earthquakes in eastern North America over magnitude 2.0 and any earthquakes over 7.0 anywhere in the world. I used to be signed up for all of North America but had to cut it back to just the eastern part because I was literally getting emails all the time. I still get notices on most days for small earthquakes, even several in a day on occasion. Most of notices I get are for eastern Tennessee and southern Ontario, Canada, not really what people consider to be earthquake hot spots. And most are too mild to be felt.

The tectonic plates are always moving. The smaller earthquakes actually take some strain off the plates. And while it's not uncommon for small swarms to occur on the Pacific rim, the only thing earthquakes can be somewhat predictive of at this point is volcanic activity, and I just don't see any evidence of the recent major earthquakes being associated with any volcanoes, and certainly not the end of the world.

If you don't live in an area which is subject to major earthquakes, this should be very far down your list of concerns.

Most Helpful Girl

• I also suspect the amount of earthquakes we have now aren't too much of an increase from before - we just know about all of them because of the media!

Compared to 30 years ago, news of natural disasters like this one travel a lot faster. No need to worry, the world definitely isn't ending just because of a few plates shifting like they have been since the first land masses developed on earth <3

What Guys Said 16

• There aren't more earthquakes, there's just better communications, therefore you know about more of them, but there's roughly the same amount of earthquakes as decades ago.

Check this link, here it explains it:
    http://www.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9830/3355

• There is not really that much more earthquakes. The USGS estimates that several million earthquakes occur in the world each year. Many go undetected because they hit remote areas or have very small magnitudes. We are getting much better at detection and with the current Internet people notice more earthquakes that their relatives 100 years ago.

• the earth is cracked like an eggshell
    www.mapsofworld.com/.../fault-lines-map.jpg

these are the fault lines visuals makes it easier too believe
    www.cruxnow.com/.../FaultLineC-717x450.jpg

www.technology.org/.../...a-megaquake-large570.jpg

• Some people are way too dramatic and overreact but natural disasters are happening more and more (all kinds) for sure. We are polluting our planet and therefore creating this. I get worried to but I tell myself what will be will be (you can't control it). And if you look through history, they've always been there and some more disastrous.

• 0|0
    • Hey thanks for that, I appreciate it alott :)

• It's just the movement of plate tectonics... There's earthquake everyday. Most are too weak to be noticed.. If you want something you can panick on, don't choose earthquake. Choose disease or car crash since they're the number 1 killer..

• You see university we only can live so small conditions. You should prepare for the question in the end.

• Sort I didn't quite get you, sorry for my ignorance ..

• Just normal earth movement. The number isn't increasing, just how efficient and fast detection and communication is nowadays, makes it seem there are more.

• Plate tectonics

• So this is considered natural and usual?

• I was dancing, I'll stop.

• This. is. the. end.

• Because Gov Chris Christie of NJ is learning to tap dance.

• It's George W. Bush's fault.
    Its Global Warming.
    It's Racism.
    It's Christians.
    Its fracking.
    It's Republicans.
    Donald Trump is saying earth shaking things... so the earth is shaking.

• Because it's the ends of time. Nostradamus predicted it so it must be true!

But seriously, here's my serious answer as to the reason. It's because of illegal aliens; even Trump agrees with me on this one

https://i.imgflip.com/ptu77.jpg

• I disagree that news about earthquakes didn't travel fast in the old days. Granted we didn't watch earthquakes via live tv; nor did we have YouTube so we could search for "earthquake cctv" or similar.

But most people heard about it the next day since about 1960's; and Edison's stock ticker tape probably reported news too.

But I found this article from 2014, which begins with this: "If you think there have been more earthquakes than usual this year, you're right." (http://www. livescience. com/46576-more-earthquakes-still-random-process. html).

Frankly muslim extremists scare me much more than massive earthquakes that kill. This video from 9/11 scares the crap out of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppAeMWFCqC8

• It has to be 8 pound 6 ounce baby Jesus protesting transgender people no?

• Yep. It's the end times my friend

What Girls Said 2

• It's natural. There's no need to worry. It's just the plate tectonics. The earth is changing, not ending.

• It's just a little shaking.. well more like a hard jolt and a loud thud. Maybe I'm just used to them but my reaction is usually "Fuck do I have to go get up and put some pants on now"