How to end phone calls in North America?

Okay so I always hear people saying " okay take care, good bye" or some form like that when talking to another professional.

I usually just say alright , bye bye. Am I being rude by not saying something like have a nice night, take care, have a nice day?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• This is quite a funny topic to me. In my country, we do tons of politeness formulas. Maybe a bit like in England (or even worse). Greetings and farewells are a whole ritual, even on the phone. When I lived in the US, it was the complete opposite. Especially in a professional context, many Americans just go like "Bye!" in a very fast way. I always thought that sounds so rude because you're not taking enough time to say bye properly but from how I understand it, being in a hurry is considered good in the US. Americans like this notion because it suggests you're busy and thus very productive. So a lot of people I knew what just speak normally (normal tone/speed) but when it came to saying goodbye, they would just be "yes... yes... mhhm... uhu... 'k, buh!" The "okay bye" was always spoken very fast and usually in a very serious or busy tone. Like "okay, let me go already". There was even one guy who never said bye at all if he knew that he was going to talk to the same person again a few hours later. He would just say "okay" and hang up very quickly. I've always thought that person on the other end must be pissed off right now but I think in the US, this is not considered offensive. Time is money ;-)

What Girls Said 10

• Nah, you aren't being rude. Being rude is not saying goodbye at all and just hanging up right after they said farewell. Though its good to throw in a 'Have a nice day/night' It earns cool points for sure

• "Bye bye" is really unprofessional. That's what children say.

Add something like "speak soon" if it's appropriate to the situation.

• If it's a formal phone call or I'm calling a help line or something, I always end it with have a good day/night

If it's just a friend, it's usually just see you later, bye, etc

• I say goodbye. a lot of men just hang up, which really irritates me.

• I say 'bye bye" all the time on the phone. I don't think there's anything wrong with that lol.

• No, you're fine. Maybe from a professional stand point but you could always just say "thanks for eveything, bye"

With friends, i t doesn't really matter.

• Talk to you soon.

• Nah you're good! :)

• Just say later man and be done with it no one really cares

• Not really. It depends on the person. "Bye bye" sounds babyish to me though, personally.

What Guys Said 8

• Not at all

• Nope, as long as you say something as a closer/reply you're good.

• "Bye fgit" works like magic..

If you're talking to person of the same sex, try saying...

"Bye muah"

• don't overthink it home slice

• No not at all. And I know for me that if I hear an accent and you say things a little differently or they may come off as rude, I just assume the best and blame it on a culture difference or language barrier.

• It really doesn't matter.

• "ok bye" seems to work both in the office and outside office.

• I usually end it with "gotta poop bye".