If you were a parent... At what age would you allow your kid to have a phone?

Most Helpful Girl

• 15.

Because by that age theyd be wanting to go out with friends and gain independence.
    I wouldn't want them out for so long with no way of calling for help or contacting me.

Also I would hope by then theyd be mature enough to make their own decisions (online etc) and be safe.

They won't be getting any devices other than maybe an MP3 type device that has music/radio/video capabilities only before fifteen years.
    Thats right. An electronic device that has no access to the internet. I bet thatd shock a lot of kids these days.

My kid will not be raised on technology.

Most Helpful Guy

• I got mine at 15 (well, my parents actually forced it on me, I didn't want a phone). So I'd say that's a reasonable age. I wouldn't know why any 10-year old needs a cell phone. Once I'm a dad, I will make my kids go outside and play in the forest. Kids these days don't do this stuff enough anymore. My mom made my sister and me stay out at the fresh for at least half an hour every day (sometime we spent the whole afternoon outside).

• I agree, my brothers and I didn't have time for a phone when we were kids, we had too much fun playing outside lol

What Girls Said 26

• I'd do what my parents did, I'd give my kid a phone around the age of 11. Here, that's where children go to secondary school and start growing more independent. My grandmother used to pick me up every day from primary school and my mother would drop me off. In secondary school, I walked there and back with friends but with no adults present. It was more important that I was able to call for help if I needed it so I got a phone.

• 16 or whenever they get into high school. Unless they had an after school activity before that age, that way they can get in touch with me and vise versa.

I also don't care if the iPhone 64 is out by then, they're starting from the bottom and working their way up.

• I'm the new generation of parents. Had my kid at 23. He got his first iPad at age 5 and still has it now. I'd get him a cheap phone at age 10. And a good quality one when he was a teen.
    Every kid is different , you have to know them and If they are responsible enough.
    If my kid was careless and lost everything I'd probably never get him a phone.

• Around 13 I think. However if they were out a lot - like having after school activities, or having friends in the neighborhood - then I might give them one early.

• 13ish.

• At 8 years old!

• I have three kids. My oldest is 9 and he has an iPod. My daughters share an iPad. I'll probably allow my son to have his first real cell phone next year or the year after as he gets more into hanging out with friends away from the house and out on his own longer. That way I can keep tabs on him and he can get ahold of me when he needs to.

• Probably the age of 8 or 9 but not a smartphone just a flip phone or one of those indestructible Nokia's

• 11 probably

• 10 but that phone would have no texting and only have the ability to call family

• When they got a job and paid for it themselves.

• At 15 years old like I did because I had a job and paid my own bill. Kids need to learn how to be Independent. Not everything will be given to them and made easy. Life is hard and to get things you have to work for it.

• I would allow them once they have made it to high school. So maybe 13 ish

• Elementary school, but it won't be a smart phone. Just one that calls mom, dad, home, 911, etc.

• At the least, 10 years old. But ideally, 13 is good.

• Probably around 16 or until they can prove they are responsible.

• I think I would give my kids their phone when they are around 13 to 14. It should be at that age that they can be more independant and it might probably be a crappy one, used for just texting and calling

• depends on what all they do (extra curricular) because they will need phone i say 13/14 but only because my kids are gonna be busy

• at 18

• At 15 years old because i want my kids to be responsible and know what they're dealing with also they should know the cons and pros of having a phone so they can use it the right way.

• 12 years old.

• 16 should be the right age.

• 10... because I got my first phone at 10

• Probably at 13

• 14 years

• around 14 maybe 15

What Guys Said 19

• 13... and I've already sworn that they will start old school... with the flip phones and shit... just call and text only lol... they will be raised like i was.

• At the age I allow the kid independence, like going out of the neighborhood. Between about 9 and 13 thus, according to the kid's intelligence.

• When they could pay for it... which is something I could rightfully do given the fact that I myself only keep a home phone (excluding my work phone- which I leave that at the office when I go home).

I HATE cell-phones.

Why anyone would want to keep a leash on them 24/7 is beyond me... I think it's the worst invention ever created.

• Probably whenever they can hold onto it an not drop/lose it. Schools these days already teach them on tablets at 6 years old so I don't see a problem.

• When they actually need one!

• When they were mature enough to understand the responsibility that comes with it and when they earned it.

• I was 12 when I got one, that's a fairly reasonable age considering your kid isn't surrounded by complete retards at that point.

• They can have one when they're ready to pay for it.

That's what my parents did with me, and I think it's a great idea.

• If I were a parent... Oh wait I am... nevermind.

Our rule is when they're going to be places alone that they'd need to reach us. So... usually about 12-13 when they're at middle school. And they'll get a crappy $10 flip phone.

• 11 or 12, when they start to feel a bigger appeal to socialize deeper, and getting more independente.

• If they are paying for it, they'll likely have one regardless of what I say. It's probably better that they finish high school first though, so they pay attention in class an start out on the right foot.

• probably when they enter secondary school, so ~12

• At 18 I think.

• Once they started middle school, so like 12.

• 12...

• Um 13... becz thats when i got mine

• I had a phone when i was like 10 or 11

• they have phones in your country?

• I got mine when I was 12, so around that.