Anyone know anything about laptops?

So my laptop crashed during an update for Windows 10.

I sent it to get fixed and the only way the guy could fix it was to essentially wipe it and reload Windows 10.

Except now it doesn't have anything from Microsoft on it (Word/Excel/Powerpoint) and none of my games or old documents... it does, however, have all my picture downloads lmao

But... the question is... how do I get the Microsoft stuff back? I seem to remember free downloads of it when I originally got the laptop.

Anyone know how to fix it and bring it back to where it was before it died?

Or is it just easier to buy a new laptop?

Most Helpful Guy

• Option #1 - Download Microsoft Office alternative such as OpenOffice or LibreOffice (updated more frequently than OpenOffice)

Option #2 - Use Microsoft Live services, this way your documents will be sitting safely in OneDrive and you can use Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel via Microsoft Office Online suite.

Option #3 - Use Google Docs, same as Option #2 but less integration as Windows 10 and OneDrive are heavily integrated/baked into the system this way all files are synced to OneDrive more easily. But Google Docs suit has the same things as Microsoft Office Online suit, and you have your files backed up to Google Drive

Option #4 - Use iCloud if you are iPhone user. iCloud has office suite as well, and files are saved to iCloud. I'm not sure if you can use iCloud office to work with Microsoft word files and export them in compatible way.

Option #5 - tor**** a cracked & activated version of Microsoft Office 2015

This is pretty much the choices you have. The Microsoft Office promo that came with your laptop is probably on recovery partition or CD's if you have any. If there is no Office Promo you pretty much have to suck it up and use one of the 5 options above, you can also pay like $12/mon for Office 365 which gives you the latest versions of Microsoft Office + 1TB of OneDrive storage and you can use the Office suite for upto 5 users/accounts with each account getting the respective 1TB of storage in OneDrive.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well you've payed for a license one time so you still have that. Maybe you can make a call customer service from Microsoft what you should do.

Other than that. Saved games and old documents, you can't get them back if you didn't make a backup and I find it pretty rude from the guy who fixed your laptop to not make a backup.

You can also buy a new license for Microsoft but it's expensive and there are a lot of free office programs you can use like Kingsoft office, Libre office or Google Documents.

What Guys Said 23

• Your unsaved data are lost.
    Get Open office. It's free.
    OR
    www.google.com/search

• You'd have to buy it or download it.

Download this:
    http://www.utorrent.com/intl/en/mobile

Fine Microsoft Office download on Kat. CR or thepiratebay. SE
    I think I used this one but right now the comments aren't loading for me. Check the comments to make sure it's legit:
    m.thepiratebay.se/.../Microsoft+Office+Professional+Plus+%5Bx64%5D+2013+Activator+Included

• Have you tried the 2016 version? Is there a final version yet? Just curious here

• I didn't have time to use it. (had to install on another pc, just to see if it worked, and am currently on a mac)
      But from appearance is as close to '13, as 13' was close to 2010.
      And it has a textbox to look for tools (the online version has it too), where if you type "parag" it will show you the paragraph options for instance.. (similar to OS X general help menus)

They probably improved the tools to work online, and cloud syncs.. dunno..

OHH and the install is fucking ridiculous!!! It looks like a OS X app... they give you absolutelly no options on what to install nor where :\ I usually never installed everything on the pack, just the 4 main apps, but now I had no choice, there is just one button, and then you wait, and then it's done :(

• @mikemx55 huh. I probably won't get it then.

• well if you bought it from microsoft, im pretty sure you still own the license and can just redownload it from the site.

• You don't need to send it off to do that... You can literally press a command on your computer and it will wipe and reinstall Windows within a couple hours, and when it boots back up it will be like a new computer...

All those office things are free and you can just download them from the internet again.

• Those "office things" are not free, unless you download illegal hacks and they run into trouble when you are doing updates.

• @Red_Arrow eh, you can't police the Internet.

My iTunes library is about 300 songs all ripped from YouTube with an MP3 converter, I've been doing that and downloading t0rrents since I was young. Dosent mean anything.

The biggest and only real danger is if you don't know what the fuck you're doing and download a virus or some shit, otherwise nothing bad will come of it.

As I Said, it's borderline impossible to police minor things like downloading software or songs and stuff on in the Internet.

• I have forgotten the details, but several months ago there was a big deal going on where ISPs were shutting off users who were using the pirate t0rrent sites. Plus, as you mention, many of them have viruses, and you can get those even if you know what you are doing.

• I got a laptop and know a few things about computers.. the one thing I do know is you did not have to spend the money you probably did to get it fixed.. all you would have had to do is type in if you could have how to fix this or that.. many videos on the computer that will tell you what ever you want to know.. you tube is the best for them.. those computer places charge an arm and a leg to do something that is very simple for the computer owner to do

• -.- you don´t send your laptop in for "repair" when windows is crashing xD software issues are so freaking easy to fix.

usually you get software cds or paperwork with your laptop. there must be a cd or at least a code for office so that you can just download office (word, exel and powerpoint) and use the key you got.

sometimes they provide you with the software or a backup on a separate harddrive partition, which the "repair" guy might have deleted while formating or something (don´t know what the heck he did). in any case, try to contact your vendor about this.

for data recovery there is a freeware tool calles "recuva" this can basically recover all your deleted files that have not been overwritten. watch a youtube video on how to use it if you must. notice, it won´t bring office back to live, it can only recover specific files.

• I bought it in 2012 and have moved to college and back 4 times and into two different actual homes in that period of time. Do you think I kept track of that disk? lol

• yeah i do think that xD i mean this is the stuff you need, if you fuck up the software of your laptop. that happening isn´t all too rare. let that be a lesson for the future xD i mean if you can´t find your license for office, you will have to pay that shit again or get it illegal off the internet...

• for the data.. google it or find another guy who's not that crappy.

I think there are restoration softwares and though the info has been deleted. it has to be hidden somewhere in the deep archives. just don't wait for too long

and definitely buy a new one

• Word/Excel/Powerpoint is part of the Office suite and is not a part of Windows, and costs up to $70 for one year.

During the installation of a new OS, the drive has to be re-partitioned and you lose all you old data. (If the upgrade is not successful)

• noooo, don't buy a new laptop!!!

I can provide you a link for you to download that stuff for free... (only tomorrow though)

• Why only tomorrow?

• :P well, you'll have to download it and install.. that's the bare minimum.
      Maybe meanwhile someone will answer you with a link.. but if you still need it tomorrow, feel free to ask me anything.
      (I may not know how to answer, but you can ask anyway :P jk)

• Is the tech guy helping you, or do you still need it?

• If you created a backup disk you can run that to restore all your stuff. But if you didn't go to windows. com to try to redownload it. Definitely set a restore point once you get it all back to how you want it. And enable back ups. So you never have this problem again.

• just goto microsoft. com... type in office to search... and provided you have the access key # s n all that crap... you can download and reinstall...

although nowadays i think a lot of it is provided as a live service. this is why i use google docs nowadays. can type from home, work, school etc.

• Your laptop most likely came with a recovery disc/SDcard/flash drive. Check the box.

If u don't have one, call the manufacturer and they should provide you one.

• All software that comes with a new laptop can only be restored if you have the original system partition of the hard disk in tact.

Student n home office is not too expensive. I would rather take that route.

Other option, many people are using open source software.

I can't believe people still go for torrents and crack codes etc.

• Speaking as an IT Professional with 14 years under my belt, What is the brand of the laptop? If it is an HP Dell or any of the other major brands, it will have access to recovery, and you will be able to get all of your programs back. Is it still under warranty? If it is you might be able to convince the company that made it to send you recovery disks and again be able to restore it to factory conditions. I need more details before i am able to help further.

• Dont do torrents, there is a good chance that if you dont do it right, it will be monitored and you might get in to trouble.

• Yeah, you have to approve my follow request.

• Ok i think i approved your request, just an fyi i am very new here so i am not completely familiar with the site yet

• buying a new laptop is easier duh... but its its expensive. the company who made you laptap call tech support often they can provide solultions. when u say microsoft stuff what do u mean.. just the OS its self. cuz that just need to have windows repaired with the installtion cd or usb drive.

• Honestly there IS a way to bring it back, as long as it's the same hard drive.. but that'd.. be way to complicated. It'd have the possibility of barely bringing anything back and honestly not be worth it. The only suggestion I have to you is just wipe the laptop completely and install windows 7. It's better.

• Well there is another way,
    You can allow him wipe and then use the Esus data recovery app. It will recover anything you want but you can contact Microsoft. They will give you original activation keys if you proved, you are original owner.

• *sigh* My only solution is to never used office software. It always fails in some way, whether it be free or paid...

• u can download the application , it is on the internet with cracked activation licence . it is illegal though. u dont have to buy a new laptop and it is completely curable.

• use a system recovery disk that should work

• A lot of pirates here lol

• Damn laptop, you're gonna need a Necromancer to resurrect it: d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/.../...r-1280x720.jpg

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 5

• Yes but I have an apple! hahah

• Dont buy a new laptop just get free to use programs.

And back your shit up next time.

• There's no reason to buy a new laptop. But if you got that software for free then you should probably go back to where you got it and redownload it.

• I don't really know! Good Luck !

• You can download office through torrentz.