Where is the best place to volunteer in a hospital?

I got a position to volunteer in a hospital but my supervisor said we must commit to department per shift. I want to pick a department that will benefit me and my major, dental hygiene the most. I am most interested in working in the ER, pediatrics, front desk at ICU AND CVU, and maybe the gift shop.

Most Helpful Guy

• I do not see where any volunteer position would aid you in dental hygiene. Volunteers to not work on patients. Volunteers I have seen in hospitals perform shifts on information desks and gift shops mostly. They also help with things you normally do not think of such as assisting in gardens.
    Beyond that there is cleaning up, getting coffee and warm blankets, etc. Nothing that would help in dental hygiene. Without some certification you cannot even help the patients brush their teeth because that is butting something into the patient.

• The absolute best place would be radiology hands-down

• I was speaking to the girl not to you. What is wrong with you? You seem to have this urge to contradict me. Do I try to intimidate you? The answer that is no, you have this urge to one up me. And when it first came out it was called andEMI [Emee] scan by the clinical staff. And it was first referred to after that as an in NMR scan, an abbreviation for nuclear magnetic resonance which scared the daylights out of patience so they changed it to MRI. We used NMR scans when I took organic chemistry way back when categorize unknowns. I think there's something wrong with you. You want to be told you're smart? Okay you're smart. You probably smarter than me are you happy now

• @DrGtheMD - lol. I give up. No idea what put the burr up your ass but it is in deep. I am done talking with you.

Most Helpful Girl

• which ever makes you happy.

What Guys Said 16

• Perhaps @CheerGirl38139 can help you with this question because she has experience volunteering in a major hospital.

• Not sure I can help much. The hospital that I volunteer at is a children's cancer research center. The stuff I do are simple things like reading to kids or serving food to the familes.

• @CheerGirl38139 I certainly admire you with your common sense answers. This college students initial question was where in a hospital could she volunteer that would help her with her future career as a dental hygienist. Not brain surgeon, not cardiac surgeon not pathologist and not telephone operator. People are saying emergency people do not need emergency cleaning of teeth. Pediatric oncology the young lady never expressed interest in cancer or kids only male chauvinist pigs push girls into pediatrics because that is what they think is what girls are supposed to want.
      Helping people there this young lady realistically knows that she needs credits and experience regarding dental hygiene she's not looking to help people should look into getting to school so she can then help people while earning a living. Intensive care once again she's not interested in learning how to work a ventilator or IMV with high-level PEEP.

• When answering a question for your desires and wishes into the answer and most importantly do not put into your answer what you think they Astor should be asking or would want. For example Astor – "I would like to become a professional football player. What position would best suit me to try out for in high school sports?" Answer "you definitely should try out to be the center on the basketball team because you get experience passing the ball." Doesn't work that way

• I've volunteered in the ER for over a year. It can be a little hectic at times. You could be sitting for an hour bored out of your mind and then bam just people coming into the ER one after the other. ICU will probably be less like that and more stable but it being ICU you'll probably see people die from time to time so if that's stressful for you then stay away from that. That can happen in the ER as well but much more likely in the ICU.

• So what sort of duties did you do in the ER?

• Mostly clean rooms after patients leave, restock nurses stations with various things like needles capsules etc. Fill coffee. Wheel patients out. Help a patient if they need like a warm blanket or food.

• i'd say pediatrics.

ICU, ER, and CVU are ok if you can handle a lot of traumatic sites

• I wouldn't do ER or Pedatrics unless you are not of Faint of Heart.
    You have to remember that with those specialties, Remember, People die in Hospitals,
    ER you will probably see some really fucked up shit.
    Pedatrics while most patients will probably recover, there are those who won't, so unless you can deal with seeing and being around dying kids day in and day out it might not be the best

• Pediatrics for sure! Do you like working with kids? Or do the ER once or twice and get a idea of how the Emergency cases are handled. The best one out of those is pediatrics.

• ICU is a ok one too but it can be a bit dark and depressing. I don't know what CVU is unless its a heart unit which I'm guessing is cardiovascular unit

• That depends on your current level of education. As a dental hygiene major I don't think you're qualified for any of those except the gift shop. Especially, not the ICU.

• anybody with a high school education can do what I am doing you mostly change bed linens, fill coffee, wheel them in wheelchairs, restock nurses station, give patients blankets or water if their nurse allows it. And at ICU, I will be working front desk and not allowing more than 2 visitors in a room which is basically a secretary job.

• Then you're not really learning anything about medicine.

• It's the work experience I want.

• In the morgue, constant supply of work.

• In a hospital, it depends which ones are near you and accept volunteer work to be honest im not quite sure

• volunteer at a dentistry =\

after all, you are volunteering. don't waste your time.

• I don't have any dentistries near me offering any volunteer positions or job shadowings. I picked a hospital because I will have an idea of what it's like to work in a health care setting and what it's like to work with patients.

• i'd say your time is better spent being persistent at the local dentistry. if you wanna take out their trash and get their coffee bad enough, they'll eventually allow you to.

if you were pursuing a dds, then i'd be more applicable. on your resume, "volunteered at hospital" doesn't have the impact that "volunteered at dentistry" does. the closest medical practice by profession would be a plastic surgeon's practice.

apples to oranges =\

• Palative care... you'd mean the world to them

• If you've got the guts for it, do ER.

• In the kitchen, a good meal is just as healing as a surgery in my opinion.

• flordia.

• the hospitals suck! i know, i went with a broken... i was there for 8 hours! 8 HOURS!!!

• A hospital

• In the fanny department.

But seriously, I don't think being a dental hygienist will bring about much to the cv at a hospital... rather in a dentist office

• Pediatric 100%

What Girls Said 1

• How about the morgue...