Can I eat and drink when having a blood test?

My work is making me get blood tested tomorrow for rubella and rubeola. Can I eat or drink before?

Most Helpful Guy

• I would fast just in case, drink as much water as you like though. Are they testing for anymore illnesses like Hepatitis and. TB?

• I don't have to be tested for hepatitis. I just have to prove I got my shots for hepatitis. As for TB, I am having two skin tests for that.

• Nevada laws may be different than here though

• Thanks for mho

Most Helpful Girl

• of course not.
    you can only drink water.
    reason why they do blood tests in the morning :P

• I get routine blood work done often for many things. The only time I need to fast is for diabetes testing. Nothing else I get tested for requires fasting. And they do the tests any time during the day that I go in to take the tests. Often people get their blood draws at the time they go in to see the doctor.

• @Red_Arrow rofl.
      well the lab requires it so hahaha

• The lab guys just love your thin, sexy body and don't want to chance you gaining any weight. lol

What Guys Said 17

• Most blood tests require that you be NPO (non per os, or nothing by mouth) for 8 hours before the blood draw. This blood test should not require you to be NPO.

• doctors will tell you if you need to fast before a blood test. Most can be done without needing to fast.
    and if they are tests for diseases, then nothing you eat or drink should effect the results.

• Is that all they are testing for, or is it an illegal ruse to do 'drug testing'? Did they say to fast for a certain number of hours?

• No that's all they're testing for.

• US I don't care if they are looking for drugs because I don't do drugs.

• I didn't expect that you were. Still, be careful with the DNA collection!! Time is coming when insurance companies will use the 'collected DNA' against us, to increase prices because of 'Genetic Predispositions' to diseases!! It isn't IF, it is WHEN!!

• No. They dont want you to eat anything only if they are measuring your blood sugar but in your case, they won't be doing that.

• I think you should not eat anything before you go for a blood test.

• When doing blood work you have to fast for 12 hours and no juice either

• Some tests (like for blood sugar levels) want you to not have eaten for some hours.

• Yes, you can eat and drink, because they're just looking for antibodies.

• according to webmd you dont need to fast for that test but your still better off asking a docter this

• you'r not supposed to..

• Usually you can't eat or drink for blood tests, didn't they tell you? lol

• No it doesn't say anything on the form and the receptionist I scheduled my appointment with, said nothing anything about not eating or drinking.

• Well I'm going assume that for whatever you are being tested for doesn't get influenced by nutrition. If it doesn't say you have to fast then you're safe to eat. They would clearly indicate that you need to fast before if that was the case... eat away

• I suggest eating only fruits or vegetables. Don't eat any sweets like chocolate. I made that mistake once and got inaccurate results

• Depends on what you want them to screen haha

• i think you can't eat or drink anything for 24 hours before your blood test

• I think so
    Just don't booze it up

• Maybe drink water but I dunno about food ask your doctor

• nope. dont eat for 12 hours for chelosterol test

What Girls Said 2

• Nope, but you can do it right after it's done.

• You're not suppose to 30 minutes before but if I were you just stick to water.