Is nothing something or is nothing... nothing?

Okay so my friends and I were having random conversations and we somehow started talking about nothing... and we were confused as to if nothing is nothing or if nothing is something
Me and one of my friends think nothing is something
While the other two think nothing is nothing...
So what's the answer?

• Nothing is something
  • nothing is nothing
  • I don't know

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope, no actually such thing as "nothing", sweetie! If there was it would, by definition, NOT be nothing! Nothing is different than zero, it is often called null, it the absence of something/anything/everything! I am quite certain.

So nothing is simply our way of saying, in realistically layman's terms, NOT that and empty place or thing exists, but, in fact, it does not exist at all!

Sorry Chelsea! You're two friends were right on this one. I'd rather say you're amazingly correct!, but if you would like the truth, then I can't! :) And, in this case, it is a known or a provable concept, whereas most things simply have compelling reproducible experimental evidence! It can be proven because it is defined by Wo/Mankind. If we define something than it is by definition exactly equal to said 'thing' in mathematics. No approximations necessary! 2.54 inches is equal, BY DEFINITION to one inch. Completely arbitrary measurements made up by people with plenty of free time on their hands! But it is EXACTLY 2.5400000000000000... forever filled with zeros, centimeters that make up one (1.0000000...) inch! There is no error because we defined it. Similarly, we defined nothing, and while technically, it's something, as in it's a 'defintion' IT MEANS nada, null, void, absence, nill! :)

Very intelligent question!
    Kudos! ;)

• Give this man an MHO. You are correct

• @FallOutBoy2001 mind sharing? Publicly or privately I don't care! I was simply going to recommend you check out the field you are interested in. Ignorant people (which I was once included in) don't do hang with the researchers and people that they are ultimately hoping to join! They WILL speak to you! Write a letter of introductin then pursue it. I've spoken to, yes, Stephen Hawking, Richard Feynman (RIP!) and several others... (ironically, not Kaku, which I find to be a sell-out idiot from his writings!) But I'd be on Leon et al re the Higgs, and stray from any cosmology branch of astrophysics that involves string theory, myself! But, in any event, go touch the people and what they are doing! They are PEOPLE! and most will never try! Thus, advantage YOU!

• LUCKY! I got to meet Neil deGrasse Tyson and he was quite a good speaker and really nice. I'll PM you

Most Helpful Girl

• Nothing doesn't exist. If you are upset about nothing technically you are upset about something.

What Guys Said 18

• Nothing means nothing only. However that can depend on the situation also. I can't give an example because it's hard to explain

• Nothing is nothing unless you want to say "nothing" is an English word to define the absence of something. Then in that respect nothing is "something". Nothing is a concept. But if you're trying to define the "thing". Then nothing is nothing. All about how you want to look at it.

• Absolutely! it's a word, a definition, a sound, a meaning, a 7-character string, and so on and so forth, you're right there! I simply applied common sense to infer the implied meaning that was handed to me. But you are absolutely right! :)

• Does A=B? Maybe. Does A=A? Yes. The statement "nothing is something" may be true. The statement "nothing is nothing" is necessarily true. Since the 2nd statement is necessarily true, the first one is necessarily false.

• if nothing is nothing then technically its something now isn't it. or else it wouldn't exist.

• Well nothing can be nothing but you can also take something from nothing and you have to be nothing before you can be something.

• Nothing is as much a something as the quantity of zero is something. Nothing is not something, the absence itself is not a "thing." However, is you refer to the absence as a value, like a binary 1 or 0, them nothing is something, in the same way zero is a value (it is a value of nothing).

• You're pacing a strange loop, whilst talking in circles! Zero (0) is a value [technically a place holder]. Nothing is the absence of a value. You can never add, say one (1) to nothing (null), because there is simply nowhere to place it! Zero is an empty "placeholder", which one can easily add or subtract any number to/form. Nothing is not zero, and vice versa!

• Both
    Nothing obviously IS nothing by definition. It's the same word, with the same meaning.

But 'nothing' is a concept, and therefore a thing, so nothing is also something

• Even though this is a paradox; nothing can't be something.
    If you use the analogy of "there's a room with nothing in it" there's the implication that there's actually something in it, because of the phrase "nothing in it". Nothing can't be in something.
    Of course that's just how I view it.

• In what context? You guys have too much time on your hands lol

• I wish! This is my waiting to upload/download website doodle time! LOL!

• Like the word... for example " nothing" is a word
      and a word is something
      , therefore, the word " nothing" is something
      right?
      and no we dont... we were talking about this instead of doing our homework.

• Looking at it from either a philosophical or mathematical perspective even nothing is something. It's called the absolute value

• nothingness has no value, it is in fact that alone that explicitly separates it from anything (something) with a distinct countable value while it's most commonly compared to zero, any value has the exact same relationship to nothing/null!

• Yes.

• Depends on the person 💁

• The word "nothing" is something
    the concept of nothing is something
    nothing is nothing is a true statement

• nothing really means nothing lol

• nothing is the absense of something. like the color black.

• Nothing is just a concept. There is actually no such thing as nothing in a concrete sense.

• logic and philosophy 101 nothing is of course something. the meaning of nil, complete nothingness is different.

• sounds good

What Girls Said 8

• Nothing is something because we are talking about "nothing" theoretically being something by potential, therefore it is a topic of conversation, making it "something."

• Nothing is something as a concept but other than that, nothing is nothing.

• Nothing is something and something is nothing. But if something is nothing, and nothing is something, than how can this be possible? Because nothing is something which could be nothing, and if nothing is something, than surely it's nothing! Or maybe it is something.

• nothing is nothing, nothing = 0, 0 is nothing there for nothing is = to 0 and 0 is = to nothing

• Nothing is most often something.

• Sometimes nothing is nothing and sometimes nothing is everything. Depends on what the question was.

• it's nothing to worry about

• Nothing is the absence of something