Women may soon have to sign up for the draft, thoughts?

I'm a feminist... and I'm totally for this.

I'd like to clarify that I am not in favor of the draft, I just think if men have to sign up so do women. Also, an actual draft is not likely to ever happen again and this move is purely symbolic.

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly I don't think women need to be in the military but if they're going to be it's only fair that they be made to sign up for the draft same as us.

But they will need to be careful about how they go about drafting if both genders are part of it. You have to think about children and women who are mothers if the father gets drafted you can't draft the mother as well because then they'll be no one to take care of the child or children. So not sure how they would do that, the odds of us drafting anytime soon are slim we'd have to be fighting another world super power like Russia or China for that to even be an option.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's a ridiculous concept. I have 2 children to care for and I don't care how feminist you are, women cannot pass the same physical tests which are crucial to life in times of war. That being said the draft is moronic for men as well, especially from a "free" country.

What Guys Said 35

• I don't like the draft, no one should be forced to go to war, but if the draft is gonna be done, then women should be drafted too. It's only fair. It's sexist to force men to go die on a war, while women stay at home drinking Pina Coladas at the beach.
    It's their country, they should fight to defend it too.

• I think it's silly to assume that those left behind running things at home have a walk in the park.

• @BelleGirl21 Well, if you compare it to those going to war, yes, it is a walk in the park.

• No physically it's different. Wondering if the father of your children will come home again and being a single parent is nonstop hard. It's just a different kind of hard. And if you look at the sacrifices the women made say in ww2 you have to give them tons of credit.

• I oppose the draft, but I support this, because it enforces equality of responsibility.
    I see no logical, valid, and sound way in which we can live in a world where both genders have equal protection, and equal rights, but not equal responsibilities.

• "I see no logical, valid, and sound way in which we can live in a world where both genders have equal protection, and equal rights, but not equal responsibilities."
      So do you think that since men don't have equal *responsibility* when it comes to having children (pregnancy, childbirth etc), they shouldn't have equal custody rights?
      Should men have to undergo childbirth&pregnancy stimulators (which exist) if they want equal custody rights over their biological children?

• My mom's a single working mom bc my dad died when I was 11 and she's not on welfare

• @mistixs ah.
      I'm very sorry to hear you lost your gather, especially so young.
      But your situation is different. It wasn't a father who abandoned his responsibility, or a mother who drove the father away, as all too many single mother households are.

But I'd like to point out, I said "most." Not all. The fact that your family was not in that situation does not mean that that situation is not common for 51% or more of single mothers.

• i think in a world of equality that stretches into the military where women want equal rights and opportunities it only makes sense that women should have to register for the draft.

registering for the of course doesn't mean that you will be asked to serve (due to the various reasons a person can not qualify for service) but it makes sense that women would have to register the same as men

• I have a problem with women reporting under men... too much risk of abuse. Forcing a draft of women to report under men will accentuate the problem. I think have enough women where there are women commanders who command women. Women are reallly good at logistics, multi tasking, command and control, let them do that, piloting, etc.. don't think they need to be on front lines...

• What about men reporting under Women?

• "if we are sexually abused by a woman, is that a problem? sounds like a benefit to me... "

It is bad, men who are abused like this suffer as much as any women does and the rates of women raping men is nearly equal as men raping women. Women in positions of power, like prison guards, also seem to be prone to rape. It's been a while since I looked it up but I believe it was something like 90% of male young offenders have been raped by a female guard, as an example. It's just a topic that doesn't get discussed much because it's counter to the Feminist threat narrative.

• @Jager66 Good point, noone wants to be violated.

• That's cool by me but the draft needs to go.

• If it is any consolation, there has not been a draftee since 1972.

• Everybody should do what Ali did and refuse military service. The want them young for a reason. Easy to brainwash. The police and the army are just there to control the masses for the government. Used to be there to control the working class but the jobs market is different now. Why do we need such well equipped and massive armies? It's a globalised world. Common markets. They're there to kill me and you if we ever get above our stations and revolt against the current rule. Doesn't matter to soldiers if they're the ones getting fucked over as well. Getting a uniform and a number is all about losing your identity and thus your morals as a public citizen

• As the middle class evaporates, more and more lower class with no oportunity. ... but the US armed forces are always available and needing new enlistments. We will soon have active forces of over 1 million.

• @ThoreauHD theyve just put 3 stealth battleships into service. Uk has 2 aircraft carriers nearly starting service that are taller than tbe niagra falls and house stealth fighters. Wtf do we equipment like that for in this day n age. Its to be used against the masses. Fortification. I tell you once they perfect AI you'll see robots policong the world then we're all fucked

• That's terrible and stupid. It's like signing up to pay more taxes.

You don't seem to understand that the draft means you're forced to join the military. It's not voluntary. Women can already join the military, but wanting to have the "privilege" of being forced against your will into combat just makes feminists look extremely dumb.

Next you women are gonna fight for your right to be circumcised because men can do it too.

• If you think you got what it takes , then go out there and show em what you got.
    No woman has passed the Marines Infantry Officer School yet tho. Can't say it's giving the brass much confidence.
    www.military.com/.../...ol-by-experiments-end.html

• No, it's a stupid idea. To feminists though, gender equality matters more than how effective the military is. As long as it uproots traditional gender roles though right? Idiots.

• Personally I think that if a war is so unpopular that you can't get enough people to sign up to fight it, we shouldn't be in that war. Look at Vietnam. Was that war necessary? It wouldn't have really been possible without the Draft. Eliminate the draft for everyone, nobody deserves to die just because of their birthday.

• War unpopular? ?

20th century had the most total deaths due to war popularity.
      21st century, the US has been in 3 wars, none are finished.
      War is becoming even more popular in the new Millennium.
      This is Man,

• @ThoreauHD war being common does not mean that war is popular

• Yeah for as long as we have a draft. They will have to keep records of who has children so they can only draft one parent from those families.

• & It should always be the father. Because the mother had to endure pregnancy and childbirth. Any father (assuming he's physically capable) who expects his wife to endure both pregnancy and birth, and expects her to go to WAR too, is scum.

• @mistixs
      So the Man marries his bride for love. They get pregnant and they both can't wait for their baby and to start a growing family.
      At this point the loving wife / mother says to her husband: You need to go to war, to fight for your elected politicians. You have done your job, married me, gave me shelter, gave me my new child. Yeah, your not really needed anymore. Go kill and get killed, but due it in my name.
      Which channel is The Talk on? Can you set it on for me as you leave.

• @ThoreauHD "gave me my new child"
      Uh no. The other way around. It's the woman who gave the man his child. She went through all the agony to do it. All the man had to do was bust a nut.

• i am for sexual equality as well but think about it... in a group of military men on a mission... the reflexes of the men will be to endanger the mission to save the girl (you can't deny it we all have a sense of chivalry in us) so I am for the principle... but it isn't practical

• Not a fan of the idea of sending women to be apart of the draft, first of all most men don't like taking orders from a woman... I mean how many men take orders from a woman frequently (not a lot right). That is why it is unusual and I believe men would have a hard time following orders or with leadership and team work. Then gain this is just my opinion. There also need to be people to stay behind and raise children of course. By the way I'm not sexist it's just that taking orders from a woman seems a bit unusual in my perspective but to others it may be the exact opposite. If it ends up happening however I wouldn't mind so much but I would probably be a bit irritated...

• I dont know about that

• If anyone of any gender is drafted into the military, their spouses should be exempt from the draft... It would be unacceptable to orphan kids in wars in which only the criminals at Wallstreet profit. Maybe drafting women for asinine feminist reasons will force governments to look closely at their policies on compulsory military conscription.

• & If they have biological children, then it should always be the father who gets drafted. Because the mother had to endure pregnancy and childbirth. Any father (assuming he's physically capable) who expects his wife to endure both pregnancy and birth, and expects her to go to WAR too, is scum.

• what's home guard?

• @mistixs: organised militia groups. They watch the home front

• A draft is always not likely to ever happen again. Until it does. Men are subjected to it, so yes, women should be too. In the name of "the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes."

• what draft? doubt we'll ever need more troops.

yes they should draft women, but not on a 1:1 ratio of men.

• Women are too soft for any type of combat. They shouldn't be allowed to be placed in combat zones. I honestly wouldn't be able to take a female soldier seriously.

• Why are all these people against the draft? It's likely to never happen again, and to me, it seems like they hate their country. Who wouldn't defend their country if they needed to?

• It's about god damn time!

• i really don't give a fuck

• if they really want equality then there should be no protests from feminists

• Highly against

• I think the draft should be abolished all together. No one should be forced into the military.

• I think it's fair and about time.

• If guys have to do it women should too... I just don't think either sex should have to.

• GENDER EQUALITY

• Agreed

• yes, why not?

• I don't think they will. Women aren't strong like men. No good for soldiers.

• I think its cool, we need more women to die for the country, hopefully more feminists sign up

• You realize that drafting women will only cause more *men* to die, right?
      Because it’s mainly men who reach the qualifications for combat (due to bodily dimorphism between men and women), women will mostly be relegated to safer positions. Thus, those men who otherwise would have done those safer jobs, will just end up being pushed into combat.

• @mistixs Cool, i think the population needs less men, more lonely ladies. As usual women become pussies and push men in the front line, thanks cupcake for your wise ass answer

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 11

• I'm in favor of it! If women want to fully achieve equality, (which I know I do), then they have to accept the whole package, you know?

• Yes! Equality in disadvantages!
      That's why we should advocate that 60 million infant boys be killed in order to reach equality with the fact that males outnumber females by 60 million* globally due to female infanticide!**
      * HTTP://WWW.GEOHIVE.COM/EARTH/POP_GENDER.ASPX
      ** HTTP://WWW.UNICEF.ORG/NEWSLINE/97PR28A.HTM

Sarcasm.

• To clarify, I don't even think there should be a draft in the first place, especially because my own father was a victim of it during the Vietnam War. However, one gender shouldn't be sacrificed over the other if another draft was enacted

• @mistixs
      Why not still kill baby boys for the sake of future wars that will kill them.

Aren't baby boys and young men the best to die in wars?

• No. Men have no right to control over women's bodies.
    Which is why men also should not be allowed to make anti-abortion laws. If those laws are made, they should be made by women.
    Likewise, women have no right to control over men's bodies, and women should not be allowed to force men to be drafted. If those laws are made, they should be made by men.

• And men shouldn't have control over the bodies of other men. Just as women should not have control over other men's bodies.
      However, once you are enlisted, your body is owned by the Pentagon.

• No one should be forced to sign up for the draft.

BUT

If anyone is being forced to, everyone should.

• I'm totally against the draft in general so I'm not too fond of that.

• Many countries already allowed women in combat positions, I was wondering when the most powerful ones would allow their women to be in the front.

• anyway, I'm against draft... a voluntary military is better and more professional.

• I'm against the draft itself.

• No I don't wanna go to war. I don't care if there is a draft I'm not going to be a part of it. Never.🙅🏼

• Heck no, military is not my passion.

• I wouldn't sign up. Its great for those who do but not my thing.

• I'd rather there be no draft for anyone. But if someone has to do it, then all able should do it.

• Sucks if there is a child involved...

• Guys have children too.

• What im saying is if both parents have to sign up for the draft itll suck for the child if they actually get called to duty.

• @mistixs @CupcakeKiller
      I was very active in my childs life. She IS still daddy's little girl!
      Yes IF both parents are called at the same time that would suck. There has to be some sort of waiver if the grandparents aren't around, estranged or too sick/elderly. We just can't break up a home & send a child into the system. Right now there hasn't been a draft since the mid 70's. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.