Do you believe in life outside our planet? And why?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. I think I remember reading about the signs of life on one of the other planets while in astronomy class. Can't remember which though.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. Because there are people on the ISS.

Ok, sorry.
    i.ytimg.com/vi/le3ASDvZy_s/maxresdefault.jpg

This is the Hubble Ultra Deep Field. Each spot (except for the twinkly looking foreground star on the right) is an entire galaxy, and there are about 10,000 of them in the image. This image constitutes about one thirteen-millionth of the entire sky. Whether or not we can extrapolate that out (and we don't really know if we can), that's a whole lot of galaxies.

It's practically a mathematical certainty that whatever happened here for life to begin has happened elsewhere. Unless God put us here and put nothing anywhere else, in which case... oh well lol

What Girls Said 3

• Yes cause I'm not an anthropocentric dumbass.

• There are other galaxies with their own solar system. There might be a planet similar to Earth out there somewhere.

• Definitely. Maybe there isn't life as intelligent and developed as us in our little part of the universe, but outer space is infinite and there's too many galaxies to count. There has to be beings similar to us in some way somewhere out there.

What Guys Said 18

• I'm no mathematics PhD but it seems literally impossible for all of life in the fucking galaxy to be on this one random ass planet lmao

• It's a long post but it covers this question in great detail. ..

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

• Sure I do, it's quite ignorant to think that we are the only life in the entire universe across billions of planets and stars.

• Yes, absolutely, because Universe is too big for just one intelligent species.

• There are other planets like ours, so why shouldn't there be life similar to our own?

• Yes, I do believe in life outside our planet. I have read astronomical books, even read on internet that there are some planets that shows signs of life.

• ABSOLUTELY. It is so unbelievably naive and small minded to say there isn't life beyond earth.

• Don't care. I'm sure the good Lord could make life on other planets if He wanted, but it's too far away for now, we can help people on *this* world and let the spacemen do the same for theirs.

• I believe it's possible. But that's all. It's possible.

• Oh yeah ;)

• Billions of galaxies in the universe, all of which have the same proliferation of chemicals that we're made out of.

• yes because i got a small penis.

• With all the habitable planets out there the probably of there not being life out there is incredibly low.

• Diversity of life.

• yeah i guess i mean the universe is a big place

• Yes with the infinite possibilities.

• nope. those planets are there for us to live on once we destroy this planet.

• Where is the "I dont care" option? If I will never see one in my life and they dont affect me in any way then I really dont give a crap whether or not there are aliens out there.

• That's all true, but you don't just find it interesting to think abut? :( lol

• @frozenhorizon Nah not really. I find women interesting to think about, and football (soccer). I can see those things in day to day life and interact with them. All those people that sit around at Harvard and Oxford and get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to think about insignificant things are such a waste of money. I mean really, would it benefit society more to theorize about aliens, or colonize the moon? Now colonizing the moon, that is a realistic goal. Meeting an alien race? Not so much, the nearest star is what like 4 light years away, with present technology it would take us probably like 40 years to send a probe there (or more), that means that it would be 44 years before we would hear if there are even hear back from it. There is a good chance there will be zero aliens there, so then what? Send a probe to one 100 light years away? Well I'll be dead by then so it won't affect me. A lot happens on earth in 100 years, I'd rather worry about that stuff.

• Well yeah I think it's a waste of money too and I'd rather not be paying for it. But I still find it interesting to think about haha. To each their own