What's Your Opinion On Child Leashes?

To be honest, I am not a fan of these leashes for children. I understand the reason for them, mainly if you have a run away child. What about you? Would you use one of these on your child, or do you think there is another way to keep your child close by?

What's Your Opinion On Child Leashes?

• I would use one.
  • I wouldn't use one.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a tricky one I get the idea of them to trick your child into thinking they have their independence when you still have hold of them.
    Still not sure I would use one.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think they're okay to use up until a certain age. If you have a toddler that wants to run a muck and devour in-editable items or get lost, it's alright to put a leash on them. It trains them to stay by your side so that nothing can happen to them.

My mother was ashamed of leashes. She didn't like them, so the only time she ever used them was around the house. That was just for fun so my sister and I could have a few laughs (I was younger than 4 at the time). It created some fond but blurry memories.

What I disagree with completely is using this on children older than 5. They do not need restrictions, and it might scar them mentally to put that restraint on them. They might develop the belief that all children should be tied off somewhere like a puppy, and that only adults are allowed to run free. That can surely lead to a lot of problems.

Another thing that shouldn't be done is TIGHTENING the leash, so that they're unable to walk around. Children should be allowed to roam. The idea of the leash is to keep and eye on them and teach them to stay within your sight. Anything beyond this and taken a step further is what I'd consider unacceptable.

What Guys Said 19

• It's a joke... a pretty terrible one that is. Anyone who uses them should be ashamed of himself/herself.

• not a fan of it

• A bandaid for terrible parenting

• I think if you have a leash on your child then you should not have a child

You are a disgrace to the parenting community and degrading your children with that thing, people who do that.

• In all my life i've only seen 1 child using it.
    I don't know... it kinda makes sense, he can explore things...

• Well, I do understand why people would use them, but I don't think I would get one of those. If I had a run away child, I'll just keep him/her on the pushchair.

• Wtf 4 people would use one.
    That's fucked up. The parents that do this should be in jail for child abuse and violation of human rights.

• I know, fucking terrible parents letting their toddlers walk around but making them wear a leash to keep them close. They should either keep them strapped into a chair or let them wander off instead.

• I've only heard of them used on one GaG user... The potential on this site is endless though... You could make a fortune.

• As Maggie Simpson says: "This leash demeans us both."

• Is there any money in being a child-Walker?

• They're not dogs. I do not know why people put leashes on them.

• Especially in crowded areas. Substance over form ladies and gentlemen!

• Better than having the kid wander onto the road or something.

• Cruel device. Looks like you are fishing for peedos.

• Well.. um... hmm...
    I wouldn't use one on a child but to some weird extent I see why they were made... but... hmm...

• White people need to stop using that.

• @ 1975Chocolate

Don't dream!

i3.mirror.co.uk/.../Man-on-leash.jpg

@ xXiTacoXx Did your dad like it?

• Well, I don't understand why I was tagged. I wasn't asking if I should get one for my own child, lmao. I am not a fan of these things anyway.

• BusinessBasketball

• I don't see anything wrong with it. Sometimes the kid just wants to walk around and explore, but you can't just let them run off and they're too. young to understand. The only other way to keep them close is to hold their hand, but then they're stuck right by your side and they often don't like that.

• ohhhh kinky ;)

What Girls Said 9

• When my (now 15 year old) son was a toddler, I decided to try one of these out. He was such a hard kid to keep in the stroller while out. Taking him to the mall was hell and I was adraid he would get lost. My fear was totally founded since my (now 17 year old) daughter got lost in the mall when she was 2. I had turned to the girl at the counter to pay for my daughter's icee, turned back around to give it to my daughter and she was gone. It took less than 20 seconds for her to unbuckle herself, climb out and disappear. That was the worst feeling ever. Anyway, I did not want that experience repeated, so I decided to try the leash on ny son. That backfired. Every time i put it on him, he got on all fours and barked like a dog. Yeah, that didn't go over so well.

• Hahaha my parents used this on me when I was 3 and 4 at Disney. It's not that they were careless parents but more that they were so afraid of something happening they wanted to take every precaution they could. I was easily distracted as a kid (and adult) and would quietly wander off. They were also worried I'd get stolen. I think only certain situations warrant leashing your kid. I don't think it's super unethical but it definitely shouldn't be used for everyday situations.

• My mom used one on me and it's not that big a deal. I'd use one especially if we're in a crowded place.

• I am not a fan but if my child was a wanderer I would use this tool

• I understand the reasoning behind it but it looks stupid and I wouldn't use one.

• What sick person would do that on a kid?

• ong like a dog ,,, DISAGREE !!!

• i understand the purpose but it feels uncomfortable to see them in use

• I can't stand these things. I think it just looks bad.