Why do people put others with some kind of 'tag' on them on a pedestal?

For example, people with a strong education (eg. they completed a bachelor from a good University), will have others suck up to him/her compared to another person who also completed a bachelor's, but maybe not as good a University. When both of them have put in the same number of years to get a bachelors.

Or even if there's a person who has done more school than the other, they'll get treated better.

I REALLY don't understand the people who suck up to those kinds. If they've worked harder, they've worked harder so THEY will get a better life, more money, more name etc. They didn't do some kind of charity service by studying further.

Moreover, if they were a 20-something year old student, I would understand that the person putting in more effort at school would likely be respected more. But we're talking 50-year olds, (lazy 50-year olds no less), who get a free pass when they fuck up at something because they attained a better education some TWENTY/THIRTY years back.

It is truly ridiculous.

What Guys Said 3

• I've never witnessed this anywhere I've worked. People under 30 might make a big deal of what school they went to. But by the time they reach 40, nobody really cares. If they happen to know what school somebody went to, it might be slightly impressive, but in a practical sense it doesn't mean a thing. Kissing up to someone because of the school they went to seems pretty silly.

Maybe that will change though. Society places more and more importance on formal education all the time. Far TOO much important in my opinion. But even with more importance placed on formal education, there is always the real question, the important question: What can you do with it? That's the only thing that really matters.

• Because humanity as a whole still operates very primal. We still operate strongly in social hierachies and some people are higher in said hierachy. Usually it is about power aka through money, autority, cultural view on your achievements, etc.

• Social status is the epitome of human achievement. Even on websites such as this a person's social status and renown, more than their tenure or heartfelt contributions, is all that matters. In the game of Society popularity is everything.

What Girls Said 0