Do you think Britain should stay or leave the EU?

• I'm British. Stsy
  • I'm British. Leave
  • Non British. They should stay
  • Non British. They should leave

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not British but I think they should leave. Their economy is considerably stronger than many others in the EU. They are only going to be dragged down if they stay. Of course there would be some inconveniences at first but in the long run I think it would be better. Disclaimer I don't have a deep understanding of this issue.

Most Helpful Guy

• The EU is corrupt and unworkable. It means that we cannot control immigration into our country and it is already bulging at the seams with public services under enormous pressure. The endless supply of cheap labour has also resulted in wages for working people getting worse and worse (minimum wage is the only brake on that) and business investment being sluggish (why buy new equipment when you can employ cheap, disposable labour instead).

Britain has been a distinct entity for over 400 years, England has been a nation state for about 1100 years. We had the first industrial revolution, the first railway network, colonised a good part of the world, stopped first the French then the Germans (with help in both cases but we had to stand up to them first) from dominating Europe, are responsible for more significant technological inventions per head of population than anywhere, invented a good few of the world's major sports, have a massive cultural footprint in literature, music and other arts and gave the world the English language. Not bad for a little country on the edge of Europe. Now our government, who couldn't even manage to negotiate one of their six, 'red line' terms for remaining in the EU, tell us that we really can't look after ourselves and the world will effectively end if we try to look after ourselves. Proper countries wouldn't hesitate to walk away, I fear the British have become spineless, but we will see.

• I am in favour for those exact reasons.

• What i meant was that Germans were not serious until Russia got involved in the war, so i think it's pathetic to think UK "stopped" them in any way. I think a more appropriate word would be delay.

• @Holygirl01 Sorry, that opinion is just ignorant. Read some history and then think about what you just wrote. Ever heard of the Battle of Britain, the Battle of the Atlantic, North Africa? Ever heard of the invasions of Poland, Belgium, France, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway, Greece, Yugoslavia? How serious would they have had to be for you to consider them serious? Hitler would still have done a deal with Britain in 1940 but only because he didn't want to invade us and he had a crazy idea that we could divide the world up (although, no doubt, with us the very junior power). I never said the UK 'stopped' them on our own, I specifically said "with help" so please don't try to misconstrue my statements. Russia became involved in the war because Germany attacked her, having been frustrated in their attempts to put us out of the war first. It was Hitler's first great mistake, the second being to declare war on the United States after Pearl Harbor.

What Girls Said 5

• I vote to stay in the EU. Just because it isn't working right now doesn't mean that it can't be fixed. Giving up and walking away from something is just regression. To move forward, you have to examine the problems and work to sort them out. Besides, right now, separating from others isn't what we need.

• I voted brexit

• They should leave

• They should stay

• I don't give a shit what they do

What Guys Said 6

• Not British, but I've put some time to read about the whole Brexit issue.
    It seems the best reason to stay is to that the UK stays as part of a Europe wide free-trade agreement, and to allow people to move about easily.
    Guess what? Both these issues can be worked out with the authoritarian, unelected EU governing body and its slow but constant increase in centralized power, and its equally slow but expanding encroachment on the vestiges of national sovereignty, and the will of the voters in the nations in question.
    There are already rules and regulations imposed on the UK, that it didn't want, and that, short of leaving the EU, it's citizens, and its parliament, are powerless to stop.

It seems the only thing the keeps them in the EU is almost like blackmail. "If you leave, we'll ensure your economy is in ruins," is the message from Brussels.
    I think the UK should strive for some of its past greatness, and world leading stature, shake off the EU, and direct a big "Fuck you!" at the bureaucrats, diplomats, and unelected power-hungry maniacs in Brussels, and prove they do not need to be part of a broken, corrupt system that is working to shatter their individual greatness as a nation just for some economic benefits.

• I'm American so I feel like I need to be really careful in answering this because it's obviously for the British people to decide. But I care deeply about our mother country and the great British people. I hope the Brits vote to leave the EU so the UK can regain control over its borders and immigration policies and remain British. That's in America's interests and the world's for that matter.

• Not British. You guys should have left EU like a couple years ago lol

• Not British, but I do live in the EU; I'm on the fence on this, I guess Britain should decide, but in the event of a referendum I would probably vote stay.

• Britain needs the EU more than the EU needs britain. The British economy is one of the least competitive in the western world. I don't even know if they own any of their major industries anymore, since the Chinese seem to be buying everything up. The country has a huge debt load and an over-valued currency. They need every edge that they can get trade-wise in order to just stay afloat. The EU gives them advantages where trade with other EU members are concerned, and I believe leaving will only make their situation worse

• not sure just yet to be honest