Do you have a bad boss?

So a few weeks ago at my new job I've had for 2 months, my boss screamed at me and berating me in front of the everyone over little stuff.

The first time in the day, he yelled at me for taking a loan application and leaving right after when actually I took a loan application he put out and then called the applicant and then didn't answer, so I went to the bathroom. When I came back, the applicant called back and a coworker took it and he yelled at me for it which was bullshit and then when I said sorry, he started yelling at me and accused me of being high but in reality, I just had a hard time sleeping the night before work.

By the end of work, I had to verify a co-applicant on the loan before they could send these documents that had to be signed to finalize the loan and I called the co-applicant, verified him, and put a note in the system and was gonna notify a coworker in charge of the documents but he was busy so I was going to wait and then my boss came up to me and screamed saying how the fuck am I supposed to send these out if you don't notify me and said I was on the cusp of being fired. He even managed to say I'm worse than a 4 year old and on top of that said he's surprised no one said that to me and then screamed at me to log off and then leave the office and how I better prove to him that hiring me wasn't a mistake as he "never makes mistakes".

Even earlier in that week, he told me and the other coworkers that we better get our percentage of loans funded up to 20% by Friday or we are fired.

Now having said that, nothing has happened since that but I'm afraid that at some point I'll do my job and then something little will slip up and he'll scream at me again and then get fired.

It's one thing for a boss to pull you aside and do it but in front of the office is unprofessional, humiliating, and a bad work environment. Negative reinforcement and fear as motivation doesn't work.

Who else has had a boss like this? If so, how did you handle it?

Most Helpful Girl

• My old boss was so mean

• What company was that?

Most Helpful Guy

• I left my job when they didn't appreciate how much I was doing for them given the circumstances. People need to be able to stand up for themselves and not take that kind of shit from a boss. When it affects you to a certain extent, it's time to call it quits. That goes for relationships too, mind you

What Girls Said 2

• Nope.

• My employees like me

• That's good. I mean my boss has been nice to me since that, but that's still a red flag.

I only took this job because it was the first thing I could find after being unemployed for 3 months but having a good working environment is crucial and this job is underpaid and we gotta work 2 Saturday's a week.

• At first my problem was the commute, then once I started driving, it was the job and the boss.

What Guys Said 4

• Had a shitty boss myself not too long ago (five months back).

Not sure if it's an option for you right now but for me, leaving was the best thing I could have done.

Have a new boss who actually cares about how I'm doing individually.

• My boss was and still is a Narcissistic dick. I dreaded going to work because of him and he was always close while on the plant site. I suggest trying your best to get along with him until you find another job. I'm looking into going back to school and taking a part time job instead of full time working 65+ hrs a week without having any real sign of life beyond work. Do what's best for you in your situation bro.

• this is exactly the reason why i wait as long as possible with finding work.

• Well there was no way to foreshadow this prior to accepting the job. Usually what I look at is the salary, benefits, and job details.

• just punch the ass in his stomach and wish him the best. quit like a boss 😎 then find work you actually enjoy doing. thats what i would do.

• Quitting isn't exactly a good idea as I have an apartment and other bills to pay. I'll just stick it out till I find something else.

• You file a complaint to his superior and start taping your conversations with him. If he has a history of this, that location will have an elated employee turnover rate, or lower productivity. Being a poor manager gets you fired pretty fast.