If you were to clone yourself, will the clone have all your memories?

Will it end up being you all over again with all your memories or will it still be another person with some/most of your memories?

If this were to happen (I'm making this example based on Artemis Fowl final book series where he really dies but before his death, he already instructed his fairy friends how to clone him):

The original person leaves instructions to others on how to clone him/her before dying. Several months to years later, the person's clone is reborn (the clone has his same exact physical traits, voice and everything the OP had when alive) and inside the clone resides the OP's soul too.

Also the clone will age just like the OP would have.
This is where I got this question from:
en.wikipedia.org/.../Artemis_Fowl:_The_Last_Guardian
Imagine if this were to happen. Are you... you all over again or still not exactly you?

Most Helpful Guy

• It would have none of your memories. It would be a genetic copy, but actual data in the brain would have to be moved separately. Without that happening, you have a blank slate.

If it was a perfect copy, it COULD end up very much like you, to the point where no one could tell the difference. We've seen twins who were separated at birth, and even with wildly different lives, becomes remarkably close to being the very same kind of person.
    But this is not a guarentee. Who knows WHAT it will become?

Most Helpful Girl

• No, or else the clone may happen to fall in love with my boyfriend XD

What Guys Said 11

• This has been a favorite topic of philosophers for quite some time. It is generally agreed that clones would not share our memories and experiences because these things are not biological. For example if I were to clone myself right now, this clone hasn't lived through my childhood and puberty. He would thus be missing a hugely important part of what makes me, me. Due to this, he would most likely also not share my way of thinking and feeling. Perhaps he wouldn't even share my general outlook on the world. This raises the philosophically interesting question whether such a clone would in fact still be identical with the original person it was made from. Eventually, the answer on this question depends on how one defines identity. For some, biological features is all it takes. Others argue that what makes you, you, is much more than looks, voice, intelligence and things like that.

• If the soul is present yes it would, however in reality no, it won't have the same memories. It would basically be a baby that had to be taught everything all over again. It would be a complicated mess so I can see the ethics on this being do not clone people. However I'm not against cloning my own organs, that would be cool, to have a fresh set if I needed them.

• i wouldn't share any of my memories with my clone

• No. The clone would be a new baby twin of you. Same genes but no memories at all. As the baby grew into an adult it would have different experiences and completely different memories. It would have the same relationship to you that you would have with an identical twin that was separated from you at birth.

• depends on how you clone the clone. you can make it so the clone is raised from an infant stage so it automatically won't have your memories. or you could make an exact copy of yourself at your current age and it would have your memories

• If I were to do this I would want to make it a female clone. That way once/when I die I could experience being a girl too.

• A soul couldn't be transferred. The clone would not have any memories. It would get new memories and even a different personality, based upon its life experiences.

• Of it has the origial persons soul yes

• Doubtful seeing as it would grow from a baby

• Huh I don't know i dont have a clone

• "inside the clone resides the OP's soul too"

Way beyond what we can scientifically comment on.

A clone is a body grown using the same DNA. It would have no shared memories.

By contrast a star-trek style transporter malfunction creates a subatomic level copy of the person, and if we presume memories are ultimately stored physically, they'd have the same memories.

What Girls Said 3

• bs, no it wouldn't. the clone wasn't there for the experiences so it wouldn't have ur memories but it would act the same as u.

• Only the good ones.

• Nope only all the good memories