Drive-by's VS Online Stalking?

Has anyone ever done a drive-by past somebody's house or by somewhere you know someone will be for no real reason and with no intention to actually call in and say hello? Whether it be a friend, family member, ex partner, crush, boyfriend/girlfriend whatever!

I was thinking I know people online stalk others and this is okay and is considered the 'norm' but doing it to someone in person people would consider it 'creepy' or 'stalker-like' and it got me thinking... why is it okay to do it to someone online? it can be just as creepy to do it online as it is to do in person so why is it the 'norm'

Earlier today I saw my ex boyfriends car go up and down my street twice, I'm not creeped out however it is strange and I would like to know why he did this and what he was thinking when he did this. I then thought to myself hmm have I ever done this to someone and I realised I have. I did it once to a boyfriend I had at the time because what he said sounded scetchy and I didn't believe him- I felt like a stalker afterwards though and never did it again... plus whatever information I got I knew I could never confront him about.

Would you you consider this stalking?
Why do people do it/Why did you do it?
Have you had someone do it to you?
Have you caught someone doing it in the act?
Do you think its okay to do it to someone online but not in person?

Most Helpful Guy

• Definitely I say it is stalkerish to drive by someone's house to see if they were home, suspicious activity in general whether they are home or not. It seems kind of stupid too. Why, if one is going to go so far out of their way to see if someone is home, would you not go up to the door unless there was a restraining order or an I-never-want-to-see-you-again? It is hard to catch someone or know who is doing it. Huh? Driving out of someone's way to see if someone is home is different than online stalking, well, unless one is a serious stalker and uses all, both, many, or several forms of stalking all at once. Also, just because someone's vehicle goes past does not mean they are stalking you, maybe they are just driving past? I guess online stalking is harder to define; I mean ip addresses and habits are theoretically traceable. So, it is hard to say about that.

• I live in a coldersac going past my street to get somewhere else isn't exactly a possibility, my street is also on a pretty excluded area so he was defiantly doing a drive by.

• How would you define online stalking to compare it to real-world stalking? (I guess what you added makes it clear what is going on, but even you admitted you did something similar. Maybe it is not as close to stalking as some think.) *sigh* Sometimes I wonder why I get involved in these threads.

• Yeah I did it to a guy I was dating at the time, this is my ex whom I have been over with for 10 months now, I would think that is a little different. I don't really consider it stalking though I probably used the wrong choice of words. I consider stalking to be something that makes people feel apprehensive, which my ex's 'stalking' didn't do.

I don't have a problem with someone online 'stalking' me as I feel everyone does it... its not even stalking really its just people being overly nosy. Im sure if it got to the point of them doing it to the extent of knowing my every move and not hiding it then sure I would probably feel uncomfortable. But In the real word if I was to see someone occasionally or maybe just once I wouldn't have a problem with it nor think they were 'stalking' me. However if I was to see someone everywhere I went or see them multiple times driving past my house then I would feel edgy and would consider this stalking.

Most Helpful Girl

• I haven't done a drive-by, and I do think it is just as strange. I mean, if you need to drive past a person's house anyway as you are going to your destination, then that's one thing. However, to go out of your way to see if someone is home, that's a bit much.

What Guys Said 4

• Many women have done drive by's at my house even strangers when I am working out at my house gym in the garage

• Hard for a drive by here. My street ends at a gate so they would have to turn around using my driveway or a neighbors. On the other side of the gate is CVS and there is a wall blocking my yard from CVS's back parking lot. Most likely they would have to stop by the gate or else turn their heads around and not see where they are going or what could be in front of them. They would have to stalk me online which to means they would still have feelings for me.

• We all have done this and my x girlfriends have done it to me... Even the ones that broke it off with me...

• Why do drive by and waste gas? Everybodys treasure trove is their cell phone.. you can get tracking apps (child parent monitoring apps) to receive all texts and data, if you have the targets number. The only thing, I wonder if it shows up on their phone bill, the number or email address it's being sent to? Always best to use Wi-Fi vpn through a proxy

What Girls Said 1

• No just no!