Who else enjoys gardening or growing houseplants?

I got started with gardening because my Grandparents used to have beautiful gardens and knew about landscaping, and my parents houseplants weren't doing well so I got curious and read how to care for them. Now I've got a green thumb!

I've got flower gardens, vegetable gardens, fruit (apple tree), do the entire outside landscaping and lawn care, and have many houseplants (mostly cactus)

Not only do I grow, I also create hybrid plants and grow from seed. Some of my best creations are variegated cactus, mixing different corn to create a new variety, and new lily plants I made from selective breeding.

Im happy to offer help to anyone with questions and share your gardening adventures.

Any more gardeners?
Bump

Most Helpful Girl

• I love gardening, I grow both veg and flowers but it is the flowers that I particularly love to grow. Roses and aquilegia are my favourites. . Most of my garden is planted with flowers that attract bees.

• Roses are pretty and come in so many colors and sizes!

• I love the old fashioned roses with the delicious musky rose scent. I'm building a pergola in my garden so I can put climbing roses and honeysuckle up it. Gardening is a good way to de stress and relax. My garden isn't very big but as long as I have room for my greenhouse and raised beds I'm happy.

• Have you ever heard of the invasive, wild species Multiflora rose? It gets tiny white blooms in spring, multiplies like crazy, but wild birds eat the Rose hips (seeds) in fall to fatten up. They have rose hybrids from this that are vigorous, grow quick, but are not invasive and have a rose scent. Check out Multiflora hybrid Roses, I have one in purple and it's beautiful!

Most Helpful Guy

• Yea. I have about 15 house plants. I'll be adding a couple more soon. I just bought my annuals for outside but haven't put them in the ground yet. I usually take 2-3 of the low light annuals and pot them for indoors. Typically only about 2/3 survive, but if they survive the first year they stick around.

I did some vegetable gardening in the past. I haven't done it for ages and wanted to do a *small* vegetable garden. After a few years wanting to do it I finally bought a few plants this year. It's just 3 pepper plants, but it's a start. I'll make it a little larger next year. I started too late to start anything from seed, so I bought the plants from the nursery.

I also want to plant some herbs. I've had them in the past and the ones I had grew like weeds. The store bought herbs are soooo expensive compared to growing your own. I'll probably start some both indoors and outdoors.

I have a very old apple tree that's barely alive. I used to have two, but one is a gonner. The other barely produces blooms. I doubt if I'll try any more fruit trees. They are too much work. I could see some ornamental fruit trees though.

For annuals, they are on the north side and shaded. I usually plant impatiens, begonias, Coleus (sp?), and something new this year that I forget what it's called. On the south side I have peonies (sp?). On the west I have iris that are 40-50 years old. They seriously need to be split. I really want to get some snapdragons in the ground also.

I also have some big lilac bushes. If I can get them before the rain knocks them off I usually try to cut and dry some of the blooms. The whole room smells like lilac for a few days. I've tried to dry the peonies, but that doesn't work too well. It's better to just put them in a vase. They smell for a good long time, like a couple of weeks I think. I usually give some to my neighbors every year. I guess that's payback for all the food they bring me on holidays :)

• Do you fertilize your apple tree? You put a few fertilizer spikes for fruit trees in the ground by the tree in spring and again in fall. Mulch around the tree base, and prune dead or crossing branches to allow good airflow. Apple trees can live very long so this might fix your problem with it.

• I don't do anything at all to it any more. It's just too old, hasn't been pruned right, and more dominant trees have grown up around it including a large pine tree, a huge sycamore, and a big silver maple.

I've never even tried to get apples from it. It was fairly far gone when I got the property, but not as bad as it is now. I mostly just liked it for the blooms in the spring. The bugs and deer get whatever apples it produces. I'd have to do some serious spraying to get it them to maturity.

Apples are tough trees though. The one that's finally dead had a split trunk that was split maybe 4/5 of the way through, and bent over laying on the ground. It survived for maybe 7-8 years that way and even producing a few apples. It was able to get enough water and nutrients through that little bit of trunk to keep it alive.

• Well if you decide to help it, they put up a good fight, a landscaper could help it to. My apple tree is the dwarf variety so at 10 feet tall it's large, but regular apple trees get huge, however the apple blossom scent and flowers they produce really is a sight to see!

What Girls Said 4

• I have two basil plants actually that I care for and utilize.

• I enjoy gardening ☺️

• I do!:) I enjoy it!:) I've recently planted some yellow roses!:)

• I would enjoy outdoor gardening but wildlife and/or bugs like me too much for some reason. Bees, ants, mosquitos, flies of very variety, caterpillars... beasts of the insect kind attack me for no reason. I think I'll try greenhousing. Do you have a green house?

• I actually don't have room for a greenhouse, everything is outside except when I start vegetables indoors before the frost date. Bugs don't bother me, and some are helpful to gardens like butterflies, praying mantis, bees, and ladybugs.

• They are but I've gotten stung three times and always the person with like 10-20 mosquito bites on each leg.

What Guys Said 3

• ya man. what usda zone are you in? What's it's like growing stuff there?

• Zone 7. Cold winters with snow and ice and hot summers.

• odd. cactus?

• Prickly pear cactus is cold Hardy here. The rest of my cactus I put outside in pots during the summer heat, otherwise they are grown inside my house.

• Nobody

• I know plenty of gay men who enjoy this.

• That's stereotypical, you should thank them for all the food you buy at grocery stores.

• What a ridiculous statement!! Gardening isn't indicative of someone's sexuality.