Is it true your University GPA doesn't matter after you graduate?

I am starting to wonder.

I think as long as it's above a B (mid-70s) it is okay.

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on what kind of job you're applying. I'm going for design stuff, therefore, my GPA isn't important, cause my portfolio and my designs is what really matters.
    Why would they want someone with a 4.0 GPA, if their portfolio sucks?

It all depends on the kind of job you want.

• Very true.

• If there was a chance you could fix your GPA would you take it?

It pains me because I was such a good student (high B+) but it's after I took time off from school that all these issues with grades started happening.

I do have the option of approaching the University and seeing if something can be done (eg. I can repeat courses) but it's so different from my character as a person that I am hesitant to do that. I hate asking for help in any way.

But on the other hand I'm thinking of all there is at stake and wondering if this may actually be something I should consider.

• I wouldn't take that chance. I'd have to pay for that, and I can't spend more money just to fix my GPA, something that isn't that important for me.
      BUT, if the GPA was really important, then maybe I'd take that chance, but I don't know since I'm international, and spending more than I have to, isn't something I can afford.

Most Helpful Girl

• GPA matters a whole lot when you want to continue on to graduate school. But it doesn't matter so much after graduation. Nobody I know has ever been asked to provide grades to potential employers. Of course, it probably depends on what country you live in and how competitive the job markets are.

What Guys Said 17

• it matters to some extent, particularly if you are planning on going to grad school and want to get into one of premier grad schools in whatever field you pursue

but generally speaking i've found that a college GPA is somewhat irrelevant or at least unimportant to just having a college degree. I worked in HR for a hospital in Washington and honestly can say we never requested or looked into a college GPA for a new hire (probably worked to hire about 100 different people in 2 years)

• You guys are fooling yourselves. Of course you GPA matters for interviewing and being competitive for the top job openings and prospective employers.

• My firm I started out with after Uni took every resume before 3.4 and threw it in the trash. Regardless of your life story or whatever you did in school. For obtaining top-level employment, your GPA is absolutely critical, among other factors such as interviewing/networking skills.

• consultant's words are truth. when you have 300 resumes to sift through the idea is to cut them down real quick. following the GPA cut, they will look at the first 3 skills. if the first 3 fall out of what the position requires, they'll toss it.

a good trick is to customize your skills in nearly the same order of how they're listed on the job listing. that'll earn ya about 15 seconds of extra scrutiny to determine if your resume makes it into the "possible interview" pile. then the 15 resumes are read from top to bottom by 2-3 people. after a group discussion, 4-6 are called in for an interview.

excessively long resumes aren't appreciated.

• ^ Thanks for the insights. I think this is a good trick to list the skills they are looking for in a profile section.

• It may matter in the short-term. But after gradschool or after few years in industry, nobody cares about your undergrad GPA.

• Supposedly it matters a lot for getting your first job but once you start gaining serious work experience it progressively starts to matter less.

• For the most part, no. In the end you each get awarded the same piece of paper. My old teacher the chiropractor with a PhD from Dartmouth had a joke: "What do you call a medical student who graduates at the bottom of his class? Doctor." You are much better focusing on graduate school than actual GPA. Granted, that is easy for me to say as an English major, but you get the point.

• I depends on what your major is when you graduate... If you have high marks in Basket weaving ,, I'm sure it doesn't matter...

• Generally true, yeah. If your GPA was above a 3, put it on your resume and it might help. If all you put is the school you went to and what your degree was in, that's all they'll care about nearly every time.

Grad school is a different story.

• Hmm I think for graduate school it depends on the University you apply to.

In my country (Canada) they count the last 20 credits more (last 2 years) more than anything else.

I'm sure it would be different for other countries

• Is maintaining a 4.0 really that difficult anyhow? I'm finishing up my first year of college and both semesters I got one despite winging virtually everything and being lazy. I just stay organized and do my work before it is due so that I have more free time.

• It doesn't matter as long as you have a diploma and know what you're doing. It is very unlikely that they will ask. Your post secondary education is just one line on your resume "I went to X university for Y program during these years"

• Really depends upon your degree and job you hope to go into.

• Does not matter that much after job #1. A lot of employers hire for attitude and train for competence.

• Only 'could' matter for your first job. After that it doesn't matter

• Depending on the program you are taking

• it matters if you want to continue your studies. It doesn't matter all that much to employers

• It matters for employers

• Hmm you mentioned references. Do you think attaching reference letters with the job package would be weird or helpful? I've had a pretty good 4th year and one of my professors mentioned ot me he can give me a reference if needed

• @Asker

I think its better to only provide it if they ask for it. They sometimes ask you to bring it with you to the interview

• Well, I certainly don't think it does.

• You shoulld be fine as long as you have a 3.0 unless if youbare applying to graduate school or a first job that wants a high gpa.

• It depends... If your job is academic based yes- if more business geared than experience and performance are the big thing...

Continuing degrees it also matters as well of course.

• Well depending on job career it does matter. To get into grad school for instance.

What Girls Said 2

• Depends on your plans. If you enter the workforce, after your first job it doesn't matter at all. But if you plan on going to grad school, yes they will ask for a copy of your transcript (usually, if not all the time).

• It will matter if your planning on doing higher education ( masters or phd) ... especially when applying for schols... also in my country... higher gpa does help you get a job faster...